“Steak DeBurgo never grows old”

Sam & Gabe's Italian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Sam & Gabe's Italian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 92 Restaurants in Urbandale
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Their original location wasn't near as nice as this one, but the food truly hasn't changed. Most of the items that they had back in the 90's are still on the menu today. Ownership has changed, but the recipes have not. The Steak DeBurgo is an item you just simply cannot pass up. They used to make them with a pasta side and a salad, now those have to be ordered separately, but it is still very much worth it. Great place for special occasions!

There are newer reviews for Sam & Gabe's Italian Bistro

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We've been going the Sam & Gabe's for years. The fact that we keep going back is the best testament to the food and service. I haven't had everything on the menu but everything I've had has been terrific. It's a little pricier than the chains (you know who they are) but well worth it. If you haven't tried it, you should. If you have, you should go back. It's nice to have a gem in the restaurant business in metro DSM.

2  Thank Dennis J
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We ate here after with a large party and the service was superb even with our large party of more than 20. I had the Lasagna Forno and a side of eight meatballs. The Lasagna was delicious and pouring with flavors, and so were the meatballs in red and white sauces. Katie got the Veal Chop and it was very tender and strong grille taste. Unfortunately, the chop was very fatty, otherwise delicious too. I enjoyed my meal and so did Katie. I highly recommend this Italian Bistro if you are hungry for fine dining Italian cuisine in Des Moines, Iowa. Chao.

1  Thank GustatoryScience
Reviewed March 14, 2013

3 adults and 1 child ate and the bill came to $95. We were "forced into ordering a child's meal $6 (didn't even include the drink), as they were going to charge a plate fee for my daughter to share her meal with her 5 year old. My steak was tough as shoe leather - I did order it "well," but a number of restaurants in the Des Moines area have cooked it thoroughly without it being tough. Creme brulle was good, but not enough of the burnt sugar topping. Good portion sizes. Great creamy parmesan dressing. My daughter commented the creamy garlic, wasn't creamy at all, but rather vinegary. The bruchetta is not tomato based as most are; rather, it was made from a pepper/green olive garnish. The waitress didn't become "user friendly" until the end of the meal (tip time?) She never offered to refill my water, although it was empty half way through the meal.

1  Thank Cyndeetrek
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The food here could turn any ordinary dinner into a special occasion. My husband had the sea bass which was encrusted with asiago cheese. My mom and I had the asiago cheese encrusted chicken which was baked with marinara and more cheese. This was the best marinara sauce I've ever had! The service was impeccable - we never had to ask for our water to be refilled. They were very busy and we never felt rushed to leave. The only thing missing from my dinner was the pasta to soak up all of the marinara sauce! Nice wine list too.

2  Thank Greengal06