“Best Chinese food in DM”
Review of Tsing Tsao West

Tsing Tsao West
Ranked #18 of 95 Restaurants in Urbandale
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is hands down the best and most reasonably placed in town... Have never had anything I didn't love here. Try the Crab Rangoon.... Yummmm!!!

1  Thank PinkLadyDi56

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I’m a lo mein fan. It’s almost the only thing I order in a Chinese restaurant. I've been in some of the nicest Chinese restaurants from East to West, including China itself. The combination lo mein served at Tsing Tsao is one of the best I've had. When you add in the fact that I can get a full meal for less than $7 you now have a five star establishment. Yes it’s a fast food type of environment where you order at the counter and your food is delivered to your table. But I come here for the food, not the environment. I usually stop in once a week even though it’s over 6 miles from where I live. Highly recommend the food at Tsing Tsao.

1  Thank Bryan W
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We decided we wanted Chinese food on a visit to Des Moines and all the reviews on TA were favorable. What I found was some what different than what I expected from the reviews. First of all this is a counter service restaurant. Review writers please, that would have been nice to know. Although the service was fast and helpful, I will not give a counter service restaurant five stars on service, obviously others have different parameters. We took a table near the window and the food came out so fast I don’t know how it could happen unless it was prepared ahead of time. Even fast food takes some time to prepare and this came out of the kitchen super fast.
We all had an egg roll which in my opinion was more of a spring roll, that is smaller and with a thinner wrap. But what ever you call it, it was ok. The dinner also came with crab Rangoon. I have never had a crab Rangoon like this. It was small and flattened like a cookie. The flavor was mostly flour. I had hot and sour soup which turned out to be neither hot nor sour, I have trouble describing it other than saying it didn‘t compare well with others I‘d had.
My companions had cashew chicken, Mongolian beef, and I had braised pork which all came with steamed rice. We all agreed the flavors were good, however my braised pork coating pork was distinguished by a soggy coating that in my experience comes from being prepared in advance and furthermore had fatty portions that were less tasty. The other dishes had vegetables with the characteristic of having been cooked a long time.
In summary expect snappy helpful counter service, their own take on some Chinese standards, good flavor, florescent ambiance, and prices that are in line with the quality of the food. I’m not going to say where others are dining that causes them to give this establishment five stars but I rated it according to my experience.

1  Thank herniaowner
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My friends and I eat here regularly. You get a good size portion of food at very reasonable prices. For lunch you get a cup of soup, a plate of food with egg roll and crab rangoon, and a drink for $6.50. It seems to be kind of a 'mom and pop' place. The service is excellent, and the place is clean.

Reviewed September 8, 2010

Always a lunch bargain. Fast, friendly, tasty chinese food. You won't be disappointed.