“Hard to Beat This One in Des Moines”

Iowa Machine Shed Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 91 Restaurants in Urbandale
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Hard to Beat This One in Des Moines”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Machine Shed is a bit like a Cracker Barrel, but the menu variety and quality is so much more.
Nothing wrong with CB, but the food and service at The Machine Shed is just outstanding. Greg, the manager, made sure my meal was to my healthier-eating liking. The huge portion of pan seared fresh walleye, broccoli and whole grain rice is a meal I could eat every day. The Machine Shed rules and will be visited by me each time I visit Des Moines. Don't miss this one.

• Visited April 2013

IOWA
“Nursing home quality”
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

After a recent lunch expierience with older family members (they picked this restaurant) I was hesitant to try it again. The place had not changed. It looked clean initially when we sat down at our table. Then after really looking around everything just looked as if it needed a good scrubbing. The cinnamon rolls & pecan rolls are the best reason to stop, other than that I figure I will be consuming this food in another 40years when I hit the nursing home! Everything just seems canned, store bought. Canned corn, canned green beans, cottage cheese....boring, & all served "family style". Nothing is fresh from the "farm/garden". For trying to portray a farm type restaurant it use does not seem fresh. Save the sodium laced food for when you check into the nursing home! But don't forget your cinnamon roll on the way out :)

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ARATARA28
“Not what it used to be.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Not what it used to be! Food was all overcooked, mediocre at best. Go one exit down and get a much better meal for better prices at Cracker Barrel.

• Visited April 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Family meal place”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been there many times. I ordered an appetizer and a side salad. The host and wait staff were excellent and I couldn't have asked for better. The reason for less than perfect - salad was 45% large core pieces of lettuce or brown around the edges. Drsg was excellent.

Visited April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Out of this world DELICIOUS!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stopped here because of the reviews and WOW! The store in the front is really cool and carries awesome stuff for the kitchen. When we were seated we passed by a huge tray of cinnamon rolls, sticky pecan buns and fruit muffins. SOLD! We ordered a pecan sticky bun. It was big enough for all 4 of us plus some to take home! Amazing!

The coffee is weak so that was kind of disappointing but they do bring out a cool beat up water pitcher and mason jars to drink out of.

The servers all wear overalls and talk loud so they really look like farmers. It's great ambiance. Our meals were FANTASTIC! I got eggs benedict with hashbrown casserole. My hubby got a meat trio, 3 egg, biscuit and gravy meal....WOW! The kids got farmers breakfasts and they were huge and delicious!

I can't say enough about all the food. Especially the meats...the bacon, the ham, the smoked huge sausage (keilbasa). OH MY WORD!

We can't wait to come back!

• Visited March 2013