“Usually like this hotel but bad experience this time”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
“Usually like this hotel but bad experience this time”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel a few times before & were happy with it.
The staff is very friendly & the location is great.
This time though we had a room that had mold in the showers (that I documented with pics). It was disgusting.
There was a cigarette burn in the comforter in our 'non-smoking' room.
Also we went to enjoy the pool two different times but it was taken over by about 15 people in there (who were all clearly there together) playing volleyball with a beach ball and taking up the entire pool. The children of these people were all swimming around the hot tub as though it were a baby pool so we couldn't enjoy that either.
We have really enjoyed this hotel in the past but thus time was very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013
twbtcaptain, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear guest,

I am very sorry your room was not up to standards. I really appreciate your comments. You have brought a couple of very important items to our attention. I will address the burn hole in the bedspread and the cleanliness of the bathroom with our housekeeping staff. I'm also sorry our pool room was extremely busy. Our hotel fills up most weekends during the summer with vacation travelers and sports teams. If you have problems with a particular group while staying in the hotel please let us know and we will address your concerns. I appreciate your past business you have given us. I do hope that you will continue to stay with us and give us a chance to exceed your expectations. If you have any futher concerns please call us directly and ask to speak to a member of our Executive Team. Any of us will be happy to assist you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Denver
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you are traveling with a bicycle, stay here. It's less than a half mile from the longest paved bike trail in the U.S. Amazing!

Now for the hotel ... the room was very nice, clean, and up to date. Breakfast was just okay, hard-boiled eggs, no scrambled eggs, sausage, plenty of junk. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

We'll stay here again, for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick A
Burlington, Iowa
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've stayed here before and we came back. The rooms are very clean and are large and spacious. The pool area is well maintained and stocked with plenty of towels. The staff is very helpful and quick. Easy access to the Highway. Breakfast is a hit (waffles, pastries, cereal, toast, bagels etc...with everything being well stocked. Will stay again I'm sure!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed with our daughter for two nights at this comfortable, clean, well-maintained inn. The service was friendly and accommodating. The second-floor suite was large enough for a family with three children. Two large screen TVs!! Little kitchenette in the suite was helpful for a family. Breakfast featured waffles, sausage, eggs. Wireless internet was not password protected but it was easy to access (wouldn't count on it being secure). It overlooked the pool area but noise was minimal. The in-house laundry was helpful for a family on the road for the summer. The area was sunny, shady, and clean. It was a little odd that the pool was edged with stainless steel. We stayed here so that we could walk to Living History Farms and were very happy with our choice.

Room Tip: Suites are great for families with children, but you may hear a little of the noise from the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mamanabee
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We made a short notice reservation and booked a free night online using our Choice Hotels points. We reserved a one king room and the only thing available on line was a handicap access. room. The room was great and very comfortable with a very spacious bathroom and full bath. The only downside was that we were on the freeway side of the hotel and I know from prior stays here that the road noise can be quite loud. Our stay was very pleasant and at check-in we had a very pleasant and professional young man. The hotel was less than full and our night was very quiet and uneventful. The breakfast was very good with lots of choices and my favorite waffles.
Overall excellent experience with the only negative the road noise on the west side of the hotel. Advise asking for the side facing the Machine Shed restaurant.

Room Tip: We had room 318. Lots of the rooms here have only a 3/4 bath. This room is handicap accessable, so h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Staff was great! I had a issue with my computer and the young man at the desk went out of his way and help me fix it! The rooms are clean and crisp, and the price is right! I will be back again!! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My family and I checked in the Sleep Inn on Friday the 17th and plan on staying till Monday. We had made our reservations one year in advance because of graduation and wanted to make sure we have rooms to stay in. We I made the reservation I asked for two adjoining rooms on the first floor. The young man said that would not be a problem and guaranteed us that would be available for us. Due to my grandma be older and less mobile, it was a lot easier for her and our family to be right next door in case anything happens.

Upon check-in we were assigned different rooms on different floors. We then told them what we reserved and the young man said that should not be a problem. After five min. or so he looked like he did not know how to handle the situation. He then asked for help from the woman working with him. She was wearing more professional attire, so I assumed she would be able to fix the issue very quickly. Boy was I wrong. She began to explain that they never "guarantee" any adjoining rooms. This does not make sense to me. I have worked in the hospitality industry and know when something is not right. You should be able to guarantee adjoining rooms one year in advance. She then began to say that at they start of the day we had adjoining rooms, but someone decided to stay an extra night and the room is no longer available. She said that it is not their policy to move people out of a room. I understand that if they have a reservation for that night. If they decide to stay an extra day she should have said he would have to move to a different room because they need that room to accommodate another guest. We did this all the time to guest at our hotel and there was never an issue.

We needed to go to dinner, so we left and she said she would have the problem taken care of by the time we get back. We ate at The Machine Shed and it was fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone. When we got back they had our rooms eight rooms apart from each other. This was not acceptable because we needed to be next door to each other. She began to talk down to us and made it seem that we were being out of line. This is a customer service industry and it seemed as if this hotel did not know that. I believe her name was Hailey. She rolled her eyes and laughed at us when we said we were not happy. She did not ask if there was anything else she could do to improve our stay. It seemed that she did not want to improve the situation at all.

Our room was very clean and looks very comfortable. Very relaxing atmosphere to be in. The pool area was fun to relax in as well. The breakfast was also amazing in the morning. Everything about the hotel was great except for the staff which was poor to say the least. I would not stay here again due the lack of service. It was very unprofessional the way she handled the situation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
Hotel Renovo
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#11 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!