“Good prices, safe area, does the job.”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Sleep Inn's had an overhaul since I last stayed there in 2006. The green painted walls in the rooms certainly lend to a more modern look, though the use of cooler colors doesn't exactly lend to a relaxing sort of feel. We chose the Sleep Inn because it is quite frankly the nicest hotel available at such a reasonable price. It is located right by the Machine Shed, which is one of our favorite places to eat breakfast when we go down to Des Moines.

Not much else to fuss about. Our stay was quiet and comfortable - the blankets were a little on the thin side but I'm not picky. It's a great location, and again, a fantastic price for what you get. I'm actually booking my next trip down to Iowa and I'll be using this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The kids loved this pool and spent the majority of the time there. It was great being able to order in food and not being limited to the Hotel's food by the pool. Great breakfast for the family, very helpful front desk staff. Would stay again as it is close to Living History Farms and not too far from Jordan Creek.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather1085
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've never stayed at a Sleep Inn so I didn't know what to expect. I paid $70.00/night through Hotels.com and was a little weary because I've never stayed at a Sleep Inn, but it had good reviews.

I arrived about 8pm and the front desk person was very helpful and nice. I stayed on the first floor and had a very clean room and comfortable bed. The internet was strong and free so that is always a plus. I did find it funny that this hotel's pool area had a "adult quality time", which I'm assuming means kid free. I never use hotel pools but this is the first time I've ever seen a hotel restrict times for kids, which I thought was a little funny. But my favorite part of this hotel is that their A/C unit was connected to their wall and their control panel was separate from the unit, which usually means that they are much quieter than the normal A/C wall units. This one did NOT have the horrible sounds that usually come from these type of hotels so I was very impressed.

My business partner on the other hand had only one bad experience and that was she could hear the people above her making a ruckus at 6am in her room, but that is not the hotels fault. I could hear my next door neighbors TV blaring through the extended door between our rooms, but luckily they shut it down around 11pm.

I would stay here again, I didn't try their free continental breakfast or any other amenities, but did get a good night sleep.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is in the back when you drive through the parking lots to get to it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is in a good location, near the highway, food, shopping. On the outside it looks nice, and it is very quiet. We were with a large group and didn't use the 'group rate'. The online advance price was cheaper for a suite than the group paid for standard 2 queen rooms. The suite was definitely large, but they forgot to furnish it. There was a sofa a desk and a bed. No table or chairs, and no where to put clothes. The bathroom wasn't clean. The tiles were lifting up and the door was all rotten at the bottom. It looked like water had overflowed at least once, but they had done no repairs or cleanup. The toilet ran constanly, the handle was broken and spun all the way around when flushed. Breakfast was minimal, with only a few selections. Waffles were set up in the lobby by the stairs, and there were very few tables for eating.
The pool was not heated, and was too cold to swim in. Our 2 hockey teams booked so they could have pool time. A warning that the pool was not 'usable' would have been nice. All of the kids hung out in the hottub, so the parents had nowhere to go.
The only positive thing would be that the young man who checked us in was nice, and got me some info for local pizza delivery.
We were all checking out on Sunday morning, but no one was at the desk except a sign saying 'no one was available to assist us'. When we left there was a pile of room keys on the desk.
This hotel won't be on our list for my hockey team again. I could get a better price for a better hotel anywhere in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Very nice clean and priced right hotel. Onky drawback was the indoor pool was only abiht 50 degrees. Had o use he hit tub for my 3 yea old to play in. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great location and spacious rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you've ever seen Hotel Impossible, you'll think that this hotel took all the advice given and used it. For example, our room was very clean and the bed was made with simple linens and without the silly bed cover that people throw on the floor and that then gets put back on the bed. There were various options for lighting that made it easy to sit at the desk, in bed, or in a chair, and read. The bathroom had a shower, which was deceptively large. There was a little coffee machine in the room, which I always appreciate. The continental breakfast was basic but good, e.g., waffles, hard-boiled eggs, yogurts, various breads, fruits, juices, and coffee. We'll definitely stay here again when visiting family in Iowa.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The only negative was that you had to drive through a restaurant parking lot and another hotel parking lot to get there. Thank God for the GPS! The room was nice, decorated in green and blue. That was a refreshing change. Seems all the other 'Choice Hotels' have the same decor. Nice breakfast. We were on the highway side and didn't hear much noise at all. Walking distance from the Iowa Machine Shed restaurant is a big plus!

Room Tip: Ask for the back side if you need quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
Hotel Renovo
Hotel Renovo
#2 of 11 in Urbandale
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Hampton Inn & Suites Des Moines/Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Des Moines Urbandale

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!