“quick lunch”

The Fleece Countryside Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Barkisland B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2013

myself and partner called today for lunch.its a lovely setting. when we visited the weather was overcast.
but the views where outstanding.i had piri piri chicken burger.my partner had cow burger. really good. all the staff seemed nice and friendly. i would recommend eating here.we will call again when we around this area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great food and friendly staff. Will go again. The outside looked spectacular with the views, unfortunately it was raining when we were there so did not benefit from this.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was worth the thirty minute drive through inspiring countryside to reach the somewhat isolated Fleece. As there was a wedding in progress we had to eat in the bar. The service was effiecient and very friendly and the food was excellent. I had scallops with fried pancetta and a devine purple cauliflower puree, wonderful sirloin steak with chips etc and ... no room for pud but everyone else raved about the sticky toffee and honeycomb icecream and the hot brownie.
The view from the terrace bar was amazing. The countryside just rolled out before us; green and very English looking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The first time been here, the place is FABULOUS very clean and tidy, a credit to the owners, the food we had was 100% we tried the "Cow burgers" and were the best we have had, very filling and excellent value for money, the young waitress who served us was most pleasant and chatty. The views from the very large patio are stunning and what a sunset we saw over the valley a very pleasant evening was had and would go back again and recommend to anybody. 5 Stars PLUS.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restaurant with B7B accommodation occupies a prominent position on a hill with some nice views.

Recently refurbished, it provides clean and characterful accommodation. The double room was a bit tight for accessing one side of the otherwise very comfortable bed. There is a modern smart TV on the wall, and a mezzanine level above with two more single beds at the top. The stairs were more like a tricky ladder and may be slightly difficult for kids to get up there though I imagine.

Room was clean and smart. Some slight pipework noise from the bathroom at times but otherwise very satisfied. The full English Breakfast was certainly large, and the evening meal we had was very nice too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

the pub has been transformed to a very high standard but i have to agree that the dining area does lack atmosphere, we were a large party and thought that the service was really good and the staff really good, unfortuately the sunday dinner was very poor dry hard roast potato dryhard yokshire pudding no seasoning with the pork and we had to ask for apple sauce.the dinner was very tasteless . my husband had fish and chips i said the chips look nice he said they are lousy so i tried one he was right hard and dry.we had a good time with the family but would look to go somewhere else next time ,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Having heard about all the hard work that has gone into the refurbishment of this place I decided to treat my parents for their 25th wedding anniversary along with 8 other family members. We dined on a sunday and on arrival we ordered drinks at the bar before going to our table...as I was driving I ordered a cranberry and soda and 3 times the bar tender got the simple order wrong...also failing to apologise each time.

We then sat down and ordered our meals, I ordered fish and chips and thought it was worth the money. However, other member's of the party ordered salmon and sunday roasts which all looked poor and small portions.

I paid for the bill in cash which came to just short of £150, as I waited for the change which was £8.20 the wait got longer and longer...after 20 minutes I went over to the bar to ask about the change and the bartender assumed it was tip and had disposed of my reciept.....not impressed.

I understand every where has teathing problems but previously working in catering and hospitality myself I have to say I was seriously disappointed and embarrased that I brought my family to this place for such a special occasion.

The place is in a beautiful location and really has potential but I think the owners need to re-think and re-adjust some things including staff.

Overall I wouldnt go back until I was sure I wouldnt have the same appauling service.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank brs93xo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barkisland
The New Hobbit
#1 of 121 in Manchester
The Alma Inn
The Alma Inn
#2 of 4 in Sowerby Bridge

Been to The Fleece Countryside Inn? Share your experiences!