“Charming pub with delicious food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Northill
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
SURREY
“Charming pub with delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We have been here a few times now and have enjoyed every meal so far. If you are in a hurry you might want to go to a fast food place as the food here is fresh and prepared whilst you wait...so there might be a wait for you lunch. HOWEVER!! - it is worth the wait! The food is presented nicely and is always very tasty. Try the sticky toffee pudding for dessert -yummy!!
The pub has been refurbished very nicely.
We will be returning to this little gem many more times!

• Visited January 2014

Stevenage, United Kingdom
“In Love...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

It was Valentine's night 2014 and being the romantic I am I sent Sarah out to buy her own flowers. But fear not dear readers because I had booked "The Crown @ Northill".

Now I have visited the Crown on several occasions and always received a warm welcome and superb meal cooked by in my opinion the best chef to date.

It was a cold wet evening, I was a little grumpy from work and 16 year old children so we headed off to the little village of Northill tucked away in the Bedfordshire countryside. Not that far from the A1m at Biggleswade but far enough to feel like you have stepped back in time. The Crown is located in the heart of Northill with ample parking and large gardens (if only the sun would come out).

We parked up and stepped inside. The warm fire was almost as warm as the smiles we received from Victoria and her front of house team. Real personality and a good sense of humour. I must confess now… we were late due to 16 year old "Kevin and Perry" style son... but this didn’t matter to them one bit. We ordered our drinks at the bar (a nice guest ale and a dry crisp cold white wine) and were led to our table..

Right in front of the log burner was our 2 seats and well-appointed table, not so well appointed like the ones where you cannot put your things down and you sit in fear all night of knocking something off the table! We sat and felt the warmth of the wood gently crackling with the flames.

We were given new clean menus with pretty much something for everyone (unless you’re a fruitarian, if so there are fruit trees in the garden go knock yourself out) (that said I’m absolutely sure the chef would still knock you something delicious up to suit.) bread and soft butter followed shortly.

We ordered Trio of spring rolls to start and I ordered a nice rare steak for mains. Topped with a creamy mushroom sauce it just melted in the mouth. By now my stress levels had subsided I was really enjoying the evening. Sarah ordered Sea bass that was cooked perfectly.

The restaurant was busy with tables arriving, food coming out of the kitchen and staff bustling around with purpose but the service was attentive and polite at all times. This really is a place where the staff smile and mean it (perhaps they enjoy their jobs? I have seen many of the same faces for a long time now...hmmm low labour turn over too does this tell you something about the management!)

we moved on to desert having a really nice time... well im quite the company don’t you know so what more could Sarah want?. I ordered a trio of deserts and Sarah the strawberry cheese cake. (Notice another trio.. I do like a selection). The deserts were light and fresh tasting full of real flavour. Stunning.

We finished up with a nice fresh Latte in the proper latte glass. The end to what I would say has to be the best meal ever.

To summarise, great staff, great chef(s) superb food and obviously great company (my Sarah) who loves me to bits despite me sending her to ASDA to buy her own valentine's flowers...

…..because I took her to the Crown.

Henlow, United Kingdom
“A wonderful find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We moved to the beautiful village of Northill last February (2012) and after a hard day of moving the last thing we wanted to do was cook, so off we trundled to the local pub......as we opened the door, we received a warm greeting from the bar staff as we walked into the busy bar with a roaring fire.......exhausted, we ordered our drinks and were seated at a table, we had the delicious well-earned dinner we were waiting for...........needless to say it was not our last visit (nor that of my parents who come from Essex, but always request 'The Crown' if we ask them where would they like to go out to eat!). Unfortunately we have moved from beautiful Northill, but we still return to The Crown as this has to be our favourite place to dine in the area (for a fair distance too!).

I am writing this after our latest dinner (for Valentine's Day 2014), again another smashing meal thanks to Adrian & his team in the kitchen, not to mention Victoria and all of the wonderful waitresses (who all know who we are now!) the food & service is impeccable.

I'd also like to mention a special visit we made last July for my Stepson's birthday, being 7 (and a little outspoken) he has noticed on the menu, 'If there is nothing you fancy, please ask and if we’ve got it you can have it!', to which he had taken literally and asked if he could have lobster! Adrian true to his word made him a wonderful lobster thermador, and needless to say he cleared his plate!

This truly is a lovely place & well worth a visit if you appreciate good food, good company & some real ale.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Warm welcome, lovely food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Crown is a great example of good old home cooking in a warm, friendly, and fastidiously clean English country pub.
The staff are very attentive to your needs. Try the fish and chips!

Bedfordshire
“Not quite as good as we had hoped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our meal at the crown was a bit of a mixed bag.

The positives, our starters were great, I had the black pudding and bacon risotto which was amazing, and the service was very good

The negatives, the mains were ok, I had venison steak which was a bit chewy, and the atmosphere wasn't great. The main dining room is high ceilinged and makes the place a bit quiet. Finally the dishes were actually slightly too big, we both love puddings but after the starters and mains we just could not manage it, we were too full.

I think with a bit of a tweak this could have been fantastic, the basics are there and the food was generally good.

One thing I should say is the night we visited was the first night that they had been running with a new menu, so there may have been some first night errors in there. I would certainly go back and try again on that basis.

• 3 of 5 bubbles