“Charming English Pub”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Bedfordshire
“Charming English Pub”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I often visit The Crown when I am looking for a nice meal out for a special occasion or when I just fancy a good quality meal. It is in a lovely location and the food is always very good. My most recent visit was one of the best I have had there. Given that it was early in the week we were sat in a small area to the side of the bar (albeit in a separate room). I prefer to be in the main dining area but that is not open on quiet days.

I opted for the White Beef steak at c.£20. I'm rarely willing to pay that much for steak but grudgingly accepted given that it is becoming the going rate. I didn't regret my choice. Aged for 28 days (the minimum recommended for this rare meat is 21) it was one of the best steaks I've had. The chips were really nicely cooked too and had a lovely flavour.

I've never had to wait anything like as long for a meal there as the previous reviewer suggested. I would accept, though, that the service can sometimes be the least best part of the visit. Having said that, it is by no means poor.

If you intend to visit here more than once per year it may be worth joining the Hi Life Dining scheme as you get buy one, get one free on all courses.

3 Thank MrBedford

Bedford
“Bank Holiday lunch stop.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Lovely pub and gardens,lots of room.Huge selection of food on the menu.The only problem was the time taken for our meals to arrive.We were told 30-40 minutes,which was understandable as they were busy.70 minutes and two drinks later it turned up!The food was very good ,so we will let them off.If you are in a hurry,go for something simple.

3 Thank ceedeet
bedford
“Wish We lived closer!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Made a unplanned stop at this gorgeous country pub for lunch on Saturday, so glad we did, what a find!! We ordered homemade soup and sandwiches, all super. Proper ham in the sandwiches, none of your pre-pack rubbish! Soup were gorgeous and the portion's were large. Good value for money and the service was excellent. Dinner menu looked tempting, we will be back for a night at The Crown!

• Visited May 2013
“fantastic food but very slow.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

we visited on a Sunday as a family of 8. we all ordered quickly as we were hungry. after an hour the food had still not arrived. we enquired how much longer it would be and we were told it was being plated. a further 10mins passed and the children were getting upset. I had to find the manager and make a complaint. amazingly, the food then arrived with a profuse apology and the entire meal and drinks were given to us for free. the manager was very professional and dealt with our upset extremely quickly. the food was very good indeed and we left late but impressed.

St. Neots, United Kingdom
“Nearly 5 stars”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I went with another couple to dinner here on Saturday evening. Lovely village, lovely pub setting, I expect its really nice in the summer to sit outside. The pub was bustling although no-one was behind the bar when we arrived and it took a minute or two to catch the attention of a waitress who came out with some bar meals. She was pleasant and showed us to our table. We proceeded to have an excellent meal in a nice room served by pleasant waitresses. One slightly odd thing was that when the bottle of wine was brought to the table it was left in a bucket unopened and thus neither served. Anyway a small point. We would have given it 5 stars had it not been for two things ; there was a large party beside us who wanted to take photos at regular intervals for which the lights kept going off and secondly when said party had left the staff decided to clean the table and put the lights off for good at that end which was next to where we were sitting. The smell of cleaning spray hung in the air and with the lights out it felt they were sending a message that they were shutting up shop and we needed to be on our way (there were still other diners in the room who were still there when we left). It did destroy the ambience. So just a couple of points that can be easily remedied. Excellent meal, value for money , we will be back.

• Visited April 2013