“Excellent”
Review of Pen y Cae Inn

Pen y Cae Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Pen-y-cae
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Great atmosphere and friendly staff. Booked last minute. Food was fantastic and Anthony's newly home made Rocky Road Cheesecake makes a visit worth while! It's not a cheap night out but for the quality of food and service, it's worth it!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We enjoyed a reunioin with friends last week at the Pen y Cae Inn. The food was very good, service good and we sat upstairs in the rear of the restaurant. Great surroundings and atmosphere. I would recommend the venison as the main course, and the bread and butter pudding for desert is real indulgence!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I had been trying to get to this restaurant for ages and at long last we made it.
It was a real joy we both chose the rack of lamb from the special board. It was delicious. The mashed potatoes were to dye for. No skimmpy portions of veg here - cauli, Broccoli, Swede, French beans - all covered with a lovely red wine jus.
My only criticism is that I can see from other trip advisor reviewers the restaurant does offer a lunchtime special. We didn't see this menu not we're we offered it, which is a shame as I would have liked to have seen it.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Decided to pop into the Pen-y-Cae Inn, at lunchtime, after an energetic dog walk. I've been there before on many occasions but mainly during the evening. This time I was on my own. I was welcomed immediately and sat on one of the comfortable sofas whilst I chose my order from the menu. Because I was alone I was unable to take advantage of fixed price meals for two persons (why are single diners ostracised)? However I had the full lunchtime menu or the specials board ( 2 courses for £14.95) to choose from, which was perfectly adequate but a little more expensive than I would normally pay for lunch. Having said that I must say the meal was worth every penny. I chose the specials board and picked mushrooms with welsh cheese sauce, when served this looked more like a thick soup, with plenty of mushroom quarters, served in a bowl, there was also a small side salad and bread and butter, it was delicious, with a very mild cheese flavour. My main was ribeye steak, cooked perfectly and very tender, on a wonderful mash base (I don't know what was in the mash but it had a great creamy, savoury taste) plus a good selection of mixed veg and tasty jus. I was also provided with a litre bottle of water, from the Inns own spring, which was free and certainly tasted good. Service was very good but not intrusive. I think I will make this a regular monthly treat.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I must say this was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. This topped the Ivy in London that we visited last week. We had soup as a starter (can't remember what they called it), but it was half leek and potato and half tomato, not only did it look amazing, but it tasted amazing too. I had venison as a main and my husband had a rack of lamb and both were absolutely delicious, even though we were fit to bust, I had to have one of my favourite deserts - crème brulee and my husband had their incredible bread and butter pudding and we rounded off with Tia Maria coffees. This was excellent value the whole meal including drinks only came to £80. The atmosphere is great and all the staff make you feel very welcome, they were just about to break between the lunch and dinner servings, but they still slotted us in.