“Sunday Lunch - Dec 2013”
Review of Pen y Cae Inn

Pen y Cae Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Pen-y-cae
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wales
“Sunday Lunch - Dec 2013”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Visited on Sunday 15th December for lunch with 3 other people. The welcome was lovely and the level of service provided was 1st class. However, the meal was forgettable. We each had a 3 course meal and there wasn't one dish which was worthy of a 'we have to come back.'

It's always great to try somewhere new for lunch, but the meal was average and wouldn't encourage us to return any time soon. Really disappointed as many of my friends speak highly of the Pen Y Cae

• Visited December 2013

“Exellent food & Service”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

A small menu, but good choices - well cooked and friendly service. We had problems with our car and a member of staff very kindly gave us a lift to our B&B

Visited December 2013
Swansea, United Kingdom
“my favourite place to eat”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

i love, love, love this place. i have been to the pen Y Cae a goof few times now and have never been dissapointed. Took my man here for the first time Wednsday for his birthday and he is now taking me there next week!! he had pheasant and i had veniso, for starters we had the deep fried bri and the salmon and battered cockles.we shared each others dishes and we really couldnt fault anything!! The veg is absaloutly fab, every thing is so fresh and tasty. the bill came to £43 with four large cokesso i would say that is pretty good. for what we had that is more than reasonable. I would love to have tried their baileys and white choc cheesecake but unfortunatly i couldnt have fitted in a another mouthful off food. portions are more than generous but not off putting. Stunning place, out of this world food and REALLY lovely staff. Next week I am going to try the scallops and the goose. My favourite place to eat!!!

Port Talbot South Wales
“Consistently great food!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My partner and I have visited here a number of times over the past few months and we love it. It's a 2 hour round trip for us but we find the tasty food worth it. We look forward to visiting here every few weeks.

The only down sides would be that the prices overall are slightly higher than other places we go to and whilst the portion sizes for mains are very big, the portion sizes for some starters, especially the brie, are rather small. The brie is £5.95 and you get a small wedge (or two smaller cubes for the Christmas menu). If the portion was bigger, the £5.95 price would be acceptable, but brie is cheap enough to buy for the portion to be a bit bigger.

Apart from this minor gripe, this place is amazing - the staff is friendly, there is ample free parking, it is full of character, the food is of good quality and well presented and best of all we have never had a bad meal.

Please note: Whilst there are hardly any vegetarian options on the menu, if you ask, the chef can offer a range of dishes to you that he will cook fresh.

Just remember to book in advance to avoid disappointment!

1 Thank SarahM90
Aberdare, United Kingdom
“Really really enjoyed”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Went there yesterday evening As a party of 12 and not one person had any complaints. The food was absolutely delicious. For starters I had duck breast which came with a lovely orange salad. Duck was medium rare which was perfect. For main I had catch of the day which was hake - honestly one of the best main courses I've had. The vegetable accompaniments were plentiful and cooked perfectly. Dessert was chocolate brownie. Again thoroughly enjoyed. We all really enjoyed our evening and I for one cannot wait to return :-)