“Clean, value for money!”

Kinabalu Pine Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kundasang
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Room is clean! Furnishing very basic! We stayed in R2! Great view of mount kinabalu! Read review before we choose to stay there, so did not expect much for dinner n breakfast! Food served was adequate! Helpful staff at reception!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Ireneborneo

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I'll definately be here again........I'm sure that you wld feel the same. Go and experience yourself.......you'll never regret.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank AnneKamaruddin
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Pine Resort is in Kundasang which is a small village about 6 kilometres from the entrance to the National Park. The Hotel gives you fantastic views of the side of the mountain which cannot be seen from KK. The chalets are large and comfortable offering usual amenities and good parking if you have driven there yourself. The chalets are set on the hillside so some are higher up than others and requires a walk back to reception/restaurant. If you have walking problems you may want to take the location of the chalet into consideration when you book. The deluxe rooms offer dinner as well as breakfasts as part of their price. The food in the restaurant is fresh, variety of choices and good. A buffet choice for breakfast which is adequate. The staff are very nice. Nice alpine type hotel in a lovely setting.

Room Tip: Ask for an extra blanket. Big temperature difference which made it rather chilly for sleeping.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank borneogeoff
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My family made this trip in December 2010 and I chose to stay in this hotel. I have never been to this part of Malaysia before nor had I been this hotel facilty. What attracted me to this hotel is that it's well described promotion and it's among the cheapest during that season. The best part is that I can choose which block I want to stay. So I chose the one facing the mountain view.

I have no regrets staying there. The room was clean and neat. It did not come with an air conditioning unit (why need one when the air is cool 24/7) and it was comfortable even during day time. Parking area is sufficient although you may need to drive up steep path to your parking bay. However, I have an issue with food. It's quite difficult to find shops offering food that I am familiar with. The hotel itself has a cafeteria but has limited choices. My advice to those planning to stay here: bring along some hot beverages sachets and make some simple sandwiches. Unfortunately, cooking is not allowed in the room.

What I liked best: LOCATION
What I liked the least: FOOD

That's all I have to say about Kinabalu Pine Resort. If you are coming for the view, this is the hotel I recommend for you! Have a nice vacation!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank burnerz
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Very simple resort, with average accomodation. But you wouldn't be looking for anything else especially when your morning window view is the great mountain itself. The rooms are cosy though. The air is refreshing, and believe me....you will be truly refreshed by just being here for two days doing absolutely nothing but just sitting and admiring mother nature at its best.
Food at the only restaurant is pretty average, but we were only here for a night. We took a trip to the Poring Hot Spirings in the evening. Will probably return again.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that have direct view of the mountain
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RajBajwa
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Clean room. Modern and clean bathroom. Decent location. Mostly helpful staff. Service was good. They organised tours efficiently and at reasonable cost.

The views would be spectacular if they didnt have pine trees in the way. We paid for the "Super Deluxe" room (extra £10) for which we had to walk up a 1 in 2 incline. This meant that the pine trees in front of our room were topped so we could see the mountain. The view was awesome and well worth seeing but certainly not worth paying for in this room. We only got the view for a short while in the morning because the clouds came in very quickly and left it pretty much obscured.

If you are going to stay in this hotel then get the cheapest room available as the extras are not worth it.

The restaurant. Mixed opinion here. We paid for a breakfast and dinner included with the room package. Dinner consisted of 2 meat and 2 veg dishes with a soup. All were above average and generally good quality. The breakfast was a joke. Was almost like war time rations. We were allowed to have extra toast though and orange juice.

To supplement my rations I asked the waiter to get me an omelette, assuming, (not unreasonably I think) that chucking a couple of eggs together in a pan would be included in the breakfast. Haha - Not so!

Waiter - "Would sir like a large omelette?"
Me - "Yes please"

What came back was the size of a family Naan bread. He then proceeded to charge me RM 30 (£5.80).

On checkout I queried this with the duty manager who phoned through in front of me to the restaurant to check. He then knocked one ringit (20p) off the cost of my omelette. He did this all with a smile on his face that said "I know we're screwing you but there's nothing you can do about it so pay and get lost." Shame really because the rest of the staff were friendly and helpful.

If you stay here you will need repellant and coils.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vopinionated
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Worth the trip from KK to Ranau. The view was simply fantastic. Though the room wasn’t as clean & superior as I thought it should be (we took the one in S block which is the most expensive), the spectacular sight of the majestic Mount Kinabalu outside our patio made up for everything. Stayed in other hotels during my previous visits & found that though they were much cheaper, they just couldn’t compare to Kinabalu Pine. So my suggestion is… splurge a little for a really serene, wonderful holiday with your loved one. You’ll find it’s truly worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank izel1906
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kundasang
The Cottage Hotel Kundasang
0 mi away
Nabalu Lodge
Nabalu Lodge
#6 of 15 in Kundasang

Been to Kinabalu Pine Resort? Share your experiences!