“Good breakfast food”
Review of The Franklin Hotel

The Franklin Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Strawberry Point
The Franklin Hotel
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our family stopped on our way north. The food was good -- best pancakes we've had (but HUGE, so careful ordering them). Service wasn't great. I had to ask several times to get my soda refilled. Fair price. Clean, historic location. We would stop again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MikeandCarrie

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have been staying at this charming hotel every July for the past 10 years. You get a great bang for your buck here. The food is great and the staff is nice and friendly. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It is a great slice of preserved midwest history. Kudos to the owners.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LucyDyersville
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We only stopped to eat. I found the atmosphere friendly and quiet. Our server seemed a bit shy, but was very friendly and helpful. She suggested the beef tender, wrapped in bacon. I did not need any steak sauce, it was delicious. The atmosphere is very laid back, so do not get in a hurry. This is a small town place, with a small town time frame....I am from a small town so I can say that;). Enjoy the place, the history, talk to people, they talk back and answered questions. I wanted to order Strawberry Shortcake, after all I was in Strawberry Point, but I was full.

They allowed us to tour the hotel upstairs. I felt right back in 1903! The upstairs does need some TLC, but looks as though it is being kept up. This is a place I would come back to if in IOWA again. I love the charm, history and down home appeal.

Room Tip: Anything wrapped in bacon is good. Ask questions. Show yourself friendly, so that you will have fr...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Teacherella
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I wish I had something nice to say about this place but I don't. Some relatives of mine gave my husband and myself a gift certificate to the restaurant since we were visiting from out of town. The parking is terrible, your lucky to get a spot close. The second we walked in there was no one to greet you and when we got to the restaurant area we had to seat ourselves. The waitress didn't have much to say, the pop was awful (flat) and we were never offered or asked if we wanted refills. What we ordered wasn't right and took over 20min to cook EVEN THOUGH we were the only ones in the entire restaurant! The people were quiet and rude and just looked at you as if you didn't belong there. It was uncomfortable, dirty and just too out of date to be a functional place. Don't waste your time!

Room Tip: Even for 45.00 a night stay it isn't even worth 10.00! Stay in a different town!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Candy S
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Well to be fair, the Franklin Hotel could have been the best hotel in the world and we probably wouldn't be back. We went there for a wedding.

It's a turn of the century building that appears to be in the slow process of restoration. Our room was a bit quirky. Our two bed room was actually a suite with a double bed in each room. The beds are covered with plastic and squeak when you move. Low quality mattresses and pillows. I really wasn't comfortable. Both rooms were cooled by one small ac that really wasn't working. The room without the AC was really too hot to sleep in. We dealt with it on our first night. We checked in late after the power was off in the town. (Not the hotel's fault.)

We paid for two nights, but we ended up bailing since the AC just wasn't cooling the room. It's a little weird. There were no phones in the room, and no phone number to call anyone in case there was an issue. When the bar and restaurant is closed, you get a key to come and go from the building. I left a note with the key on the desk when we left, but no refund was offered. To be fair, I didn't call to ask for one, but under the circumstances, if it were my place, I would do it because it would be the right thing to do.

If you go in the spring or fall, when there wasn't oppressive heat like we did, it may be a better place to stay. I didn't see all of the rooms and some may be nicer. If we had working AC and a bigger bed, $50 would have been more than reasonable.

It has potential. Up the rate and make the rooms a bit nicer and it could be a great B&B if you're a regular to that part of Iowa.

Oh, and we didn't see the ghost...bummer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanB53
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed in room #7 for a local wedding. The carpet was old and worn, the bed was the squeakiest I have ever slept in and the room was marginally clean. The television in the room was tiny. On the first night of our stay it rained; the drops landing on the air conditioner cover sounded like an army was marching by, it was so loud. The next night we kind of missed the rain, because then we could hear the bass from the karaoke party going on in the bar below. While it was fun to stay in a historic hotel, this one was not charming old..just old old.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dwhistles
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We stayed here on our way the southern IL and on the way back. Great Value!!!
Rooms are small. It not a Hampton Inn. the staff is very friendly. Doug the owner of the hotel was very friendly. The breakfast was great on a good Value. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NPrunner

Been to The Franklin Hotel? Share your experiences!