“Hospitality!!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Story City
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Comfort Inn in Story City is a Great hotel. Kayla and her team are very friendly and helpful. I stay here for buisness,but always feel at home. Kudos to this very clean and well kept hotel. The pool is large and very nice as is the spa. You won't go wrong here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank okoboji7
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Upon check in, the gentleman at the front desk was quite friendly, even as he was repeatedly interrupted by an off duty vo-worker who demanded his attention. I received an upgrade as requested due to my choice oriveldges status do checked into the hot tub room. Uoon entering the room I was greeted with brown rains in the toilet, hair in the bathroom, and a black/brown covers vase of the tub/shower. There was visible dirt on the carpet and the cord to the iron was dangling as just used. Kris, front desk, immediately offered to clean the bathroom...hopefully it was just a random miss.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank simonsays85
Online_Relations12, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thanks for the review, simonsays85.

We can assure you the the situation you described regarding your room are not the norm at our hotel. We pride ourselves in keeping our rooms clean, homey and accommodating, and our guests are always indicating that to be the case during their stays.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had read some of the other reviews before choosing this hotel. I will admit I was a bit nervous that my experience would be the same. It was far from it. In fact, I vacation in the Ames area once a year and this will be my family's new hotel of choice. I arrived later then I had told them when I made my reservation, it was very close to midnight and the hotel parking lot seemed to be completely full. The gentlemen that checked me seemed very knowledgeable of the area. I was in Story city to visit a local factory interested in buying some paint from my company. He was able to tell me how to get there from the hotel and even the correct parking lot to use for the factory. I also asked him if it was okay to park in the mall side of their parking lot. The gentlemen working has got a parking spot close to the main doors of the hotel when he arrived to work that night. He actually moved his vehicle to the mall parking lot and let me have the close spot! My room was perfectly fine as well. I checked everything.. the bathroom.. sinks, toilets... all very clean. Best of all, my non smoking room actually didn't smell like smoke. Something that I have never experienced anywhere! In the morning, even though I just got coffee they seemed to have a pretty large breakfast for the size of the hotel and town. The front staff who checked me out already had my receipt in an envelope and ready to go. She thanked me for staying and even asked if there was anything else she could do for me before I left. Overall it was an excellent stay and just have to wonder what the real issue was on some of the other reviews I read before staying here. I even told the gentlemen I met with at the factory that it was a nice hotel and they told me they have used that hotel for business since it oped over a decade ago and have never had any issues!

Corporate Sales
Dupont Paint
S. Stiegle

Room Tip: The non smoking rooms really have not been smoked in!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Spencer S
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have never in my life had such horrible customer service from a hotel staff member as I did today at check out. After waiting 2 1/2 hours past the time we wanted to leave because of a defective room safe, the front checkout person was incredibly rude!

She was talking to the other staff while checking us out complaining that if the night staff had done their job she wouldn't have gotten " griped (but she used the B word) out". Then she was giving us a $20 discount off our rate only because corporate had suggested it and said that we shouldnt have gotten any discount because we had already received a military discount. I told her the military discount had nothing to do with the inconvenience of having to wait to have a safe opened because the safe was defective. The military discount was because my brother had served 20 years I the military. She said, "I don't give a crap (but she used the S word) about your brothers military service"

We will NEVER stay at this hotel again. When it's a small town with little choices to stay, I could have accepted the dreary rooms with the outdated window coverings and bedspreads, but the horrible customer service was a deal breaker.

It's worth the drive to Ames to avoid this place.

Note to the hotel manager that after every bad review explains that the customer service is really good the reviewer just had a bad experience: you're wrong, your hotel has horrible customer service. If you dont start paying attention to these reviews and fixing the problem, you wont have to worry about having any guests at all.

Room Tip: Stay in Ames, IA instead of Story City. It's really close and much better hotels.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Linda S
Online_Relations12, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thanks for the review, Linda.

When it comes to customer services, our staff is held to a high standard. As you can see by earlier reviews, we have, for the most part, upheld that standard.

However, we do in fact pay attention to reviews like yours. For that reason, we're currently in the process of improving our customer service to ensure our standard continues to be upheld and that our guests' stays with us are as pleasant as possible.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My family and I stayed at this motel over the weekend. Other than stained toilet bowls that make you doubt their cleanliness…the motel was clean. However the customer service was awful. Very bad attitudes from front desk woman as well as breakfast staff throughout our stay directed at several guests. Cleaning staff was very friendly and nice however hadn't replaced towels in our room by 5:30 in the afternoon because they didn't have enough clean ones? The pool was typical but staff did a bad job in keeping towels clean and available. We are a family that travels alot and are not demanding.This motel is missing service with a smile and a thank you at checkout!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank a t
Online_Relations12, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Our staff try to provide the best customer service possible and it is unfortunate that it appears that we may have failed your expectations. We will strive to improve our service to our guests and thank you for your comments.

Regarding our housekeeping staff, they do complete all check out rooms first and on busy days do fall alittle behind in getting all supplies to their stay over rooms. But we will work with our housekeeping department to see if a better solution is possible.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Please note that you will be charged $1.50 per day for the use of the safe UNLESS you advise them when you check in that you will not be using the safe. Nowhere in the Choice Hotel extra fees/policy does it mention this. That may not seem like much until you multiply it per room per day for the entire hotel. It's not the price that bothers me; it's the deceptive practice!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Frances S
Online_Relations12, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thanks for the review, LakeloversTexas.

Contrary to what you've written here, the safe fee is indeed noted in the hotel folio our guests receive when they check in. Additionally, we are happy to waive the fee for guests that do not wish to use their safe---all you have to do is ask!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

This had to of been the worst hotel that we could have stayed at. The beds had stains all over them, the shower curtain was stained with black stains, the carpet was sticky, and the steps looked like they haven't been vacuumed in years. The hot tub was not available for one of their busier weekends. And the breakfast was gross, just greasy and not appetizing. Overall this was a horrible experience at this hotel. Not planning on attending this one ever again!!!! Oh and not to add the service was awful, the ladies at the front desk were crabby as all hell.

Room Tip: The rooms are dirty and gross.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sjs_2655
Online_Relations12, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

We are really concerned over your stay and would like to discuss further with you. We take pride in providing a clean hotel with great service and your comments concern us. Please contact us directly at your earliest convenience at (515) 733-6363.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Story City
Red Roof Inn Ames
#11 of 20 in Ames
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames
Hampton Inn & Suites Ames

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!