“Only hotel in town” 3 of 5 bubbles

Super 8 Storm Lake
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Storm Lake
“Only hotel in town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night for a college visit. It seemed to be the only hotel in town. Price was average but I still expected more. The hotel is typical older and rundown. I reserved a non smoking room but received a smoking room. The smell didn't bother me that much so I didn't complain. But when I took a shower in the morning I realized that we had no water pressure and the shower sprayer was broken. I informed the front desk staff who said she would have maintenance look at it. I doubt that they did as it looked like it was a existing and old problem. I doubt that I would stay here again, unless I had to.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank CookieBroadway
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I apologize for your unsatisfactory experience at our hotel. We strive to make every guest stay exceptional and are disappointed to hear yours was less than acceptable. I do appreciate you bringing the problems you had to our attention so we can address them. The lack of water pressure in your shower was due to mineral deposits caught in the filter screen. Realizing this is likely occurring in more rooms as the screens in hotels need to be cleaned out a periodic basis, we are going through all the rooms and checking the screens to assure all are cleared of deposits. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regarding the lack of a non-smoking room, we are currently unable to keep up with the demand for non-smoking accommodations and hope to rectify that by this coming summer. We are converting twelve smoking rooms to non-smoking, it is a in depth process to thoroughly purge the smoke odor and are taking the time necessary with each conversion to assure it is completed properly. Some internet sites do not have access directly to our inventory and can only book room types with a request for non-smoking and to assure a non-smoking room is available it is best advised to book directly with the hotel.

We did replace the shower sprayer in your room, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I do hope you will stay with us again to see if we can make your visit more satisfactory. Please contact me directly so I may provide you with a discount on your next visit.

John Reed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cedar Grove, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was traveling for business and needed a place to stay that was close; hotel met the standards of was Super 8 has. I choose to upgrade to a King Suite for some extra room. Room was quite large but it needed some improvements. Quality of the bed was poor - I would have gotten a better nights sleep if I slept in the car! Older style TV - I could still connect my DVD player but I was not impressed. Not enough outlets in order to plug in all the available lights and one was missing a light bulb entirely. I was not pleased with this! Also the room was on the 2nd floor (when I specifically asked for 1st) plus no elevator or luggage carts. All in all a standand hotel . . . nothing special at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Janet:

I am sorry to hear our property did not meet your expectations. We replace a number of mattresses every year, and I will be certain to replace the one in the suite you occupied this year. We also replace tv's with flat screens a few rooms at a time and agree that the suites should be the first to get the next batch. Regarding your request for a first floor room, unfortunately we only have two suites and the one on the first floor was occupied by a long term guest during your stay.

I hope you will try us again and will contact you directly to offer consideration on your next stay.

Thank you for letting us know of your concerns so we can address them.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I reserved our rooms on-line and it asked for comments and I had asked for a ground floor since my wife was on crutches, I know it states that you may net get what you ask for, but really, you want someone to climb the stairs on crutches, and when asked, the lady said,"Oh Yes, I see you asked fore that, no we don't have anymore on the ground floor" so we took a Queen size instead, not at all comfortable. Why ask for comments if you don't read them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for bringing this problem to my attention. I apologize for the inconvenience, I imagine others who have booked on line have experienced similar frustration at their requests not being met and have not said anything. With your input I am now able to resolve the issue. I discovered that notes put in by travel agents do not appear on the list of special requests we run each morning, but appear on the individual reservations. I will have our front desk staff add the step of checking each arrival separately, as I could not find a way to make those requests from travel agents and on-line services appear on any reports.

I hope you will stay with us again. Please contact me directly and I will be glad to offer you a 25% discount on your next stay.
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Super 8 is the only motel in town so not much of a choice--there is a water resort--but way over priced. Our room was clean and comfortable. Front desk staff very pleasant. Nice breakfast. No worries about the property being a Super 8--this one has to be one of the better Super 8's.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you. I am eager to share your review with my staff. They will be proud of their achievements. I certainly am proud of them.

It was indeed a pleasure to see your comment that ours is one of the Best Super 8's. But don't be afraid to try other Super 8's, the company strives to provide consistent quality service. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Coralville, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

A good place to stay. It was clean, easy to find, beds were comfortable. Bathroom was clean and maintained. The front desk staff are very nice, friendly and helpful. Located across the street from Walgreens and right next to downtown. Reasonable price. Breakfast available in the morning and so was the paper. For a traveler looking for a clean pleasant place to sleep it's just fine. Reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am proud of my staff and their dedication to providing great service. They are a fine group to work with and I will be certain to share your kind review. Hopefully I will have the chance to meet you on your next visit to Storm Lake.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Storm Lake
Super 8 Ida Grove
#1 of 2 in Ida Grove
King's Pointe Waterpark Resort
Boulders Inn & Suites Holstein

Been to Super 8 Storm Lake? Share your experiences!