“Better than expected”
Review of Super 8 Storm Lake

Super 8 Storm Lake
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Storm Lake
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was concerned about staying here because I read numerous reviews that said the place smelled like smoke, but I didn't smell smoke at all. I ended up with a handicap room with a queen bed. The room was clean, but it was very small. The room seemed smaller because the handicap bathroom was big. The big bathroom was nice, but there was very little counter space in there. The towels were good, and the shower head was awesome. There was no microwave which I have come to expect at all hotels I stay at. Since the room was small, hanging clothes up is an issue. The chair was pushed up against the wall where the hangers are, so if you need to hang anything up you have to pull the chair out. I gave the hotel a 4 because it was clean, the towels were good, the bed was comfortable, the place was clean, and the staff was very nice and friendly. The breakfast was the usual Super 8 breakfast (barely adequate), but that is what I expect from a Super 8, so it was no surprise. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your response! As the new manager I have made efforts to eliminate the smoke odor problem that so many guests noticed. I am pleased you tried us despite the comments on the internet sites and found our efforts successful. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at Super 8 in Storm Lake, IA last weekend in one of their King size rooms. Front desk helpers are very nice and efficient. The bed was comfortable. The room was nice and clean with the A/C working very well. Good selection of channels on T.V. The front lobby did smell of smoke, but the room didn't so that was the important thing. The breakfast was okay....had the usual waffles, bread, rolls, cold cereal, milk, coffee....but, no orange or apple juice, no oatmeal, no fresh fruit. Overall, I'd say this is an average motel but then the price was average too. Ruth Blum

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our performance. As the new manager at the property I have taken action to resolve some of the concerns guests were having. We are in the process of eliminating the smoking rooms on the first floor, grouping the few we will have together and sealing off around the doors so the smoke cannot seep into the hallways. We have already received positive feedback that our efforts are making a difference on the smoke problem although the project is not yet complete. In order to offer a more enticing breakfast, we have added fresh fruit, hard boiled egges, oatmeal and hot chocolate. Juice has always been available; unforntunately it needs to be in the lobby where there is a water source and many guests did not find it. I have framed a sign in the breakfast room to direct guests to the juice and hot water for tea and oatmeal. I hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

The positive: inexpensive, ok continental breakfast, free wi-fi, mini-fridge and microwave in the room.

The negative: they allow smoking so the lobby, hallways and even non-smoking rooms smell like an ashtray. It's awful. Plus the walls are thin and the motel is at the cross roads of two very busy streets so the street noise is loud, day and night.

Next time I will stay at the Light House Inn. It's locally owned and a better value.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback, it is only with such that I can make changes to improve the next guest's visit! As the new manager I am making efforts to resolve previous customer issues. We are reducing the number of smoking rooms, grouping them all together in one section on the second floor, and sealing around the doors so the smoke cannot seep into the public areas and other rooms. For guests who are sensitive to noise, we recommend rooms on the back side of the hotel which are far away from the traffic. I hope you will try us again, just let the desk clerk know you would like a quiet room, or you may contact me directly and I will assure you have an accomodation that exceeds your expectations. We have alos improved our continental breakfast since your visit to include freshly made waffles, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and hot chocolate.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

We have stayed here numerous times on business. This hotel does smell of smoke when you first enter the lobby, however, our room a King NS did not smell at all. Our room was extremely clean, had enough towels, and a fairly comfortable bed. The breakfast does not have any hot items or anything with protein, but for the price you can go to a restaurant. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Travelmomma78
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay! We are instituting several changes to further improve our guest satisfaction. We are reducing the number of smoking rooms and all of those will be together on the second floor to reduce the odor smelled by other guests. In addition, we are sealing off around the doors of smoking rooms to keep the smoke from seeping into the hallways. And we are proud to announce that we have added several items to our breakfast lineup to meet guest requests; fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and hot chocolate. Look forward to seeing you next time you are in Storm Lake.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

The hotel did smell a bit like smoke, but nothing extreme. Our room was on the 2nd floor and had plenty of space for us and our 3 kids. The room was clean and tidy. The only thing about the room was our lamp didn't have a switch to turn on and off, and in the bathroom, a few holes in the ceiling were plugged with tissue paper. The breakfast is basic; cereal and toast, coffee and juice. But again, you get what you pay for. We spent $60 for a room and it met our needs. Would go back again, as the staff was nice and polite. Met our needs for that weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. As the new general manager I am utilizing past reviews to improve the visit for our next guests. We are emilinating the smoke problem by moving all the smoking rooms to the second floor, reducing the number of smoking rooms and sealing around the doors so the smoke does not drift out of the smoking rooms into the public areas. We have enhanced our breakfast to include freshly made waffles, improved cinammon rolls, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and hot chocolate. I hope you will visit us again to see the changes we are instituting.

Reviewed September 2, 2010

We should have walked away from the hotel after walking in the front door and getting knocked over from the smell of cigarette smoke. We were assured that it was because there were smoking rooms right behind the front desk...not so, the entire place smelled the same.

No need for wake up calls or alarm clocks on the first floor, or any rooms on the East end of the building. We had a walk up call scheduled for 6 AM, but whoever was upstairs decided to wake us up by stomping across the floor constantly at 4:30 AM. Also, if you stay anywhere close to the East end of the building, there is an exit door that slams shut and shakes the building for your entertainment pleasure.

If you are a smoker and a sound sleeper, then this is the hotel for you. If you are a non-smoker and a normal sleeper, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mechanic_da
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2010

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort that we caused you during your stay. I realize how frustrating it must be to deal with smoke odors and early morning noise.

I have discussed these concerns with housekeeping and front desk and they all understand how unacceptable this type of service is. Once again please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. It is our goal to ensure all our guests leave our hotel happy and satisfied. We do hope you will come and visit us again to experience our improved cleanliness and service.

Thank You for your feedback and we would love the opportunity to visit with you further.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

By the time my husband and I finished checking in, I had a headache from the strong cigarette smoke smell in the lobby. This was despite the "No Smoking" sign. My theory was that the smoke was coming from some of the smoking rooms. My husband's theory was the the front desk clerk had been smoking in the room behind the front desk.

Our room was "non smoking," but the room right next to it was not. Our room smelled okay, but I thought that it was odd to put a smoking and non-smoking room right next to each other.

Upon check-in you have to sign a form acknowledging that there will be a $1.50 charge added to your bill for the safe that is in the room. You can have them remove the charge when you check out. Even if you tell them up front that you won't be using the safe, the charge will be added unless you tell them when you check out. I suspect they are hoping you be too busy or in too much of a hurry to remember this. I'm not sure why they don't just increase their rate by a $1.50 and not make a big deal out of the safe in the room. It seems silly to make the safe a separate charge.

In the bathroom, a long black hair in the tub greeted us. A shorter hair was on the sink. When I turned back the bedspread, a long black hair was on the pillow. My husband's theory on that was that the long black hairs belonged to the maid, but that didn't make it any better. The tub looked so nasty that I canceled my plans to take a bath and just took a shower instead. The sink and the tub both drained extremely slow.

For breakfast, there was cereal, oatmeal, toast, or a couple of packaged sweet items (muffins and a small sticky bun). I tried a couple of the tiny muffins. The chocolate chip one didn't taste good at all. The banana=flavored one tasted a little better. The selection was one of the poorest I've seen in a hotel that offer this amenity.

On the plus side, the room was cheap ($60.00), there was a refrigerator in the room, and there were plenty of towels and washcloths.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank An_Iowan
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and discomfort that we caused. I realize how frustrating it must be to deal with cleanliness issues and smoke odors and that it is below our standards.

Thank you for your feedback and we would love the opportunity to visit with you further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Storm Lake
#3 of 4 in Storm Lake
Lighthouse Inn
Lighthouse Inn
#2 of 2 in Storm Lake

Been to Super 8 Storm Lake? Share your experiences!