“Excellent value.”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Storm Lake
SD
“Excellent value.”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We have stayed here numerous times on business. This hotel does smell of smoke when you first enter the lobby, however, our room a King NS did not smell at all. Our room was extremely clean, had enough towels, and a fairly comfortable bed. The breakfast does not have any hot items or anything with protein, but for the price you can go to a restaurant. We would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelmomma78
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay! We are instituting several changes to further improve our guest satisfaction. We are reducing the number of smoking rooms and all of those will be together on the second floor to reduce the odor smelled by other guests. In addition, we are sealing off around the doors of smoking rooms to keep the smoke from seeping into the hallways. And we are proud to announce that we have added several items to our breakfast lineup to meet guest requests; fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and hot chocolate. Look forward to seeing you next time you are in Storm Lake.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sioux Falls
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The hotel did smell a bit like smoke, but nothing extreme. Our room was on the 2nd floor and had plenty of space for us and our 3 kids. The room was clean and tidy. The only thing about the room was our lamp didn't have a switch to turn on and off, and in the bathroom, a few holes in the ceiling were plugged with tissue paper. The breakfast is basic; cereal and toast, coffee and juice. But again, you get what you pay for. We spent $60 for a room and it met our needs. Would go back again, as the staff was nice and polite. Met our needs for that weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
John R, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. As the new general manager I am utilizing past reviews to improve the visit for our next guests. We are emilinating the smoke problem by moving all the smoking rooms to the second floor, reducing the number of smoking rooms and sealing around the doors so the smoke does not drift out of the smoking rooms into the public areas. We have enhanced our breakfast to include freshly made waffles, improved cinammon rolls, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and hot chocolate. I hope you will visit us again to see the changes we are instituting.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We should have walked away from the hotel after walking in the front door and getting knocked over from the smell of cigarette smoke. We were assured that it was because there were smoking rooms right behind the front desk...not so, the entire place smelled the same.

No need for wake up calls or alarm clocks on the first floor, or any rooms on the East end of the building. We had a walk up call scheduled for 6 AM, but whoever was upstairs decided to wake us up by stomping across the floor constantly at 4:30 AM. Also, if you stay anywhere close to the East end of the building, there is an exit door that slams shut and shakes the building for your entertainment pleasure.

If you are a smoker and a sound sleeper, then this is the hotel for you. If you are a non-smoker and a normal sleeper, look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mechanic_da
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort that we caused you during your stay. I realize how frustrating it must be to deal with smoke odors and early morning noise.

I have discussed these concerns with housekeeping and front desk and they all understand how unacceptable this type of service is. Once again please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. It is our goal to ensure all our guests leave our hotel happy and satisfied. We do hope you will come and visit us again to experience our improved cleanliness and service.

Thank You for your feedback and we would love the opportunity to visit with you further.
Iowa City, IA
Reviewed June 13, 2010

By the time my husband and I finished checking in, I had a headache from the strong cigarette smoke smell in the lobby. This was despite the "No Smoking" sign. My theory was that the smoke was coming from some of the smoking rooms. My husband's theory was the the front desk clerk had been smoking in the room behind the front desk.

Our room was "non smoking," but the room right next to it was not. Our room smelled okay, but I thought that it was odd to put a smoking and non-smoking room right next to each other.

Upon check-in you have to sign a form acknowledging that there will be a $1.50 charge added to your bill for the safe that is in the room. You can have them remove the charge when you check out. Even if you tell them up front that you won't be using the safe, the charge will be added unless you tell them when you check out. I suspect they are hoping you be too busy or in too much of a hurry to remember this. I'm not sure why they don't just increase their rate by a $1.50 and not make a big deal out of the safe in the room. It seems silly to make the safe a separate charge.

In the bathroom, a long black hair in the tub greeted us. A shorter hair was on the sink. When I turned back the bedspread, a long black hair was on the pillow. My husband's theory on that was that the long black hairs belonged to the maid, but that didn't make it any better. The tub looked so nasty that I canceled my plans to take a bath and just took a shower instead. The sink and the tub both drained extremely slow.

For breakfast, there was cereal, oatmeal, toast, or a couple of packaged sweet items (muffins and a small sticky bun). I tried a couple of the tiny muffins. The chocolate chip one didn't taste good at all. The banana=flavored one tasted a little better. The selection was one of the poorest I've seen in a hotel that offer this amenity.

On the plus side, the room was cheap ($60.00), there was a refrigerator in the room, and there were plenty of towels and washcloths.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank An_Iowan
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and discomfort that we caused. I realize how frustrating it must be to deal with cleanliness issues and smoke odors and that it is below our standards.

Thank you for your feedback and we would love the opportunity to visit with you further.
Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I have been staying at this hotel for buisness and each time I have been greeted with a smile and all my needs have been meet.
Will stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
Thank you for your recent comment in regards to your stay at our Super 8. We appreciate your feedback on our performance.

It is our goal to make each of our guest's stays a pleasurable stay as well as striving to earn your perfect 10 score.

Thank you again for comments on your stay and we look forward to your return visit to our Super 8.
DES MOINES
Reviewed May 10, 2010

This was one of the best Super 8 motels I have stayed in. For it's class, it was nicer than average. Very clean and no problems. I was surprised how quiet it was for it's central location. Smoking must be allowed because there was some smell of cigs in the hall, but not in my room, so it was no problems for non-smokers. The best part was the friendly staff. They always had a smile and an offer to help find things in an unfamiliar city. This is the great Midwest hospitality I have come to rely on. Thanks!

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay our Super 8. We appreciate your great feedback on your stay with us.

We strive daily to our guests perfect 10 score and am elated to hear that we have succeeded in meeting our goal during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again and providing our clean and friendly service to you on your next trip to the Storm Lake area.
Illinois
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My husband and I travel all year with our job and stay in hotels. We normally avoid Super 8 hotels due to bad experiences. We were pleasantly surprised at this hotel. Our room was exceptional clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were very nice.. I will most certainly stay here again and would recommend it to anyone traveling in to the area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Storm Lake, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Thank You for staying with the Super 8 during your business trip to Storm Lake. Your kind comments are a wonderful reward to all of our staff members and will be passed on to them. We will look forward to your stay with us at the Super 8 during your next business visit to Storm Lake. Thank You and Safe Travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Storm Lake
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#3 of 4 in Storm Lake
Boulders Inn & Suites Holstein

Been to Super 8 Storm Lake? Share your experiences!