“horrible experience at the Regatta Grille”

King's Pointe Waterpark Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Storm Lake
Storm Lake, Iowa
“horrible experience at the Regatta Grille”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Waitress was so inexperienced at her job...didn't know anything about mixed drinks, didn't know much of what was on the menu, didn't know how much substitutions were, and needed much more training. Nice gal, but needed so much more training. Other workers just standing around not helping out. Waitress's typical reponse to our questions was, "I guess I'm not good at this". The mixed drinks took forever to get, because there was no bartender at the time (2pm we were eating lunch). The burger was undercooked on one of the meals. Never have a good experience when I go there. Been there only 3 times before this time and don't plan on returning again. Just not worth the price of the meal or the feeling of being frustrated with service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Heidi F
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Heidi F,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent dining experience at Regatta Grille. We do have a new group of servers, some with little prior experience. Although we have taken additional steps to train our new staff members, we clearly have more work to do. We have taken a look at all our servers and reviewed a list of competencies with each one. Those servers who are still weak will undergo extra training sessions before working on their own again. Those with more experience have been reminded to assist our new servers. I understand this does not make your past dining experience any better, but we do want you to know that we are taking steps to improve service at Regatta Grille.

I am also disappointed to hear about the quality of our food. We have very high standards for everything that comes out of our kitchen and this comment shows that these standards were not being met. We have spoken to our servers and line cooks to ensure they understand the coding system for cooking burgers to our customers’ preference.

Please accept my apology as we strive to uphold the highest level of service and quality for all our guests. We encourage you to dine with us again as we are sure we can provide the experience you deserve. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Again, thank you for your time and your feedback!

King's Pointe Waterpark
(712) 213.4500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
New Hope, Minnesota
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My family is from Minnesota - and we were going to a wedding in Sioux City - So to break up our drive with the kids (1 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old boys) we decided we needed a water park hotel to stay at. It was perfect because it was on the way for us.
We really enjoyed the accommodations: the beds were very nice, comfortable, and had great soft sheets. We had a fridge in the room - so to save money from the restaurant we were able to buy some milk and cereal, and some lunch foods.
The pool was great - we mostly stayed indoors, because my kids are easily pleased and it was a bit chilly outside compared to the warm indoors! I did actually see the life guard jump in after a child who was disoriented after going down a slide, so I was assured knowing that they were paying really good attention. They also had life jackets for all sizes of children - even infant sizing!
We came back to our room around Noon and had to leave around 2:30pm - so right at the time that the housekeeping would stop by to clean our room. We didn't want to be bothered and didn't need a lot - so we just stuck the DND sign in the door. They gave us a slip of paper telling us what to do should we need service.
The only thing we realized that we would need was our garbage cans emptied. So when we were leaving for the wedding - we stuck the can outside in the hallway - and when we came back it was emptied :) That night I realized another makeup remover cloth would be useful - so I went and got one from the front desk. They were very friendly.
The shower left a little to be desired as far as water pressure goes, but it was certainly hot! Otherwise everything else in the hotel was great!
I was really surprised to find out on Sunday morning that we had a bunch of rooms around us with younger (5-10yr old) kids! I never heard a peep. The only noise I heard was when a group of kids were running down the hallway once - but it was mid-day, and just one trip across the hall.
Not that it reflects poorly on the hotel- but the wind was blowing in just the wrong direction one day, and it was like a chicken farm was RIGHT outside the resort. But I never smelled anything inside ;)
I would definitely suggest this for anyone needing a break from a long traveling time with kids! Or even just for a mini-vacation destination. It was great to be able to let the kids run and get all their energy out, and then they slept like babies in the car - so they were refreshed when we got to our next destination!

Room Tip: We chose a room with a fridge so we were able to save money on buying food at the restaurant. We a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Busy-Mom-Amy
KingsPointe, Sales Coordinator at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Busy-Mom-Amy,

It was a pleasure hosting you and your family and I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay at King's Pointe Resort! Our guests' safety is a top priority, especially for our trained lifeguards, and I am happy to hear you felt safe using the Indoor Waterpark. I hope to see you and your family back at King's Pointe Resort, trying out the Outdoor Waterpark as well!

"Like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Pinterest to stay connected with King's Pointe Resort all year long. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance!

Warm regards,

Sabrina Martinez
Sales Coordinator
Iowa
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I attended a conference at this hotel May 9-11, 2012. I cannot say enough good things about the facility. The hotel and rooms are very nice. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, particularly, Wendy Oleson, Guest Services Manager. Thank you Wendy for your great service to your guests.

The meeting room/ballroom was small but accomodated our group of approximately 125 very well. The food and service were wonderful.

Thank you to King's Pointe and the staff for a wonderful stay and making our conference very enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WDMTraveler
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear WDMT Traveler,

It was a pleasure serving you and all of your fellow conference attendees, and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your visit to Storm Lake and King's Pointe Resort! We really enjoyed hosting your conference and hope to do so again in the near future!

"Like" us on Facebook to stay connected with exclusive offerings and King's Pointe Resort updates. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance!

We look forward to seeing you all again soon!

With highest regards,

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Well, this is interesting -- we were apparently at Kings Pointe at the same time as the reviewer below us (kasey305). First, the only bad point -- like that review mentions -- the management apparently is in a bind to fill their rooms during the colder "off-season" when the waterparks are closed. Soooo ...... that means take any business you can get -- like "fratcom" parties, even if their behavior is obnoxious. The big bash "beer cans in the hall" party was apparently the night before we arrived. We heard several people talking about it.

That extent of misbehavior did not occur during our two nights there. However, there were other shenanigans going on -- like loud trumpet & trombone blasts in the room next door, and generally loud carrying on. However, when they went out on the balcony, and saw my disapproving mood through the glass door, they all jumped over the balcony from the 2nd floor, to the ground level below, and went in that room, which was part of this big group as well. I guess they stayed in there all night, because we had no further interruption (except some brief hallway noise) the rest of the night.

This is not our kind of place or company we would like to stay with.

Beyond that, however, all other observations are very good. We had a really nice suite (just like kasey305) but got it at a regular room price because they oversold the regular rooms like we had reserved. No problems with cleaning each day -- done well. Beautiful lake view -- we were most pleased with the physical facilities. Beds were very comfortable, and service at the front desk was very good too. Did not eat in the restaurant -- just went to a fast food restaurant for breakfast; and dinner at other restaurants.

We will be back in the area in July. Would like to stay here again -- but probably will not, due to the much higher summer season rates, and the "company" we had this time. Rather than the Baymont or Super 8 in Storm Lake, we will probably opt for the relatively new Pocahontas Inn ..... since our business is in Laurens, not Storm Lake.

I decided to give more weight to the actual facilities in my rating, rather than the obnoxious company that was staying there with us.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Weston66,

First, I do thank you for your kind words about our facility. I’m happy you enjoyed the room, the view and the service. I am sorry to hear about the issues with noise in your room though.

The Saturday evening you stayed with us, we had a college formal in the facility. On the contract we stated that quiet time would be 11:00pm, which clearly did not happen. The front desk attendant working that night did try to quiet the group down which did not work. Something additional should have been done to either evict them from the premises or ensure that matters were taken care of. No management was contacted throughout the night, which I wish would have been done to get the group under control. With this said, all front desk staff has been freshly trained on what to do if a situation like this ever happens again. I know this does not make your stay any better, but I would like you to know that this situation will not happen again.

We do hope to see you again in the future. I would be glad to send you discounts for any future stays if you are interested. Feel free to email or call me at the information listed below. Thank you for your time and for your feedback! Should you need anything else, please feel free to contact me.

King’s Pointe Resort
(712) 213.5701
IOWA
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at King's Pointe for 2 nights. I read reviews before we went but DIDN'T believe them having found many times that previous reviewers of a property were expecting too much. HOWEVER, the reviewers of King's Pointe were almost spot on. My only disagreement with previous reviews was the friendliness of most staff (exception was a bartender and server in the lounge who were more interested in discussing their plans for the weekend than in serving guests) and the beauty of the room. The check in hostess was wonderful ~ smiling, friendly, helpful as were our food servers in the restaurant. The room,which was a suite (the only type of room left when my reservation was made) was attractive and well appointed with 2 queen beds, a comfortable sofa/sleeper, 2 average tv's, an adequate work area for my husband, a full size coffee maker (a big plus for me), microwave and small refrigerator (which needed defrosting badly). The walls weren't paper thin like previously stated, more like cardboard.
The first night at an acceptible rate of $127 was ok and that's where my good comments end.
We were away for the second day and returned to find our room had been given a "lick and a promise" cleaning. The beds were made and pillows placed on the bed. The decorative pillows were left lying on the floor. The coffee pot was not cleaned and the dirty coffee cups were left on the counter. They definitely practiced towel recycling as only our wet washcloths were changed, not the wet hand towels that were in the sinks or the bath mat. I used up the bottle of hand lotion due to dry skin, but a fresh one was not placed back in the basket where I had previously found lotion. And it was down hill from there. The resort was fully booked with families but even more with a Fratcom (whatever that is) party. The entire evening and night was NOISY with beer cans, beer bottle caps, and drink glass litter through out the hallway. The party was in most of the rooms around us and a peek through the "peep" hole showed that it was in front of our room door as well. Complaints to the night desk manager would have been useless as the young person more than likely was a classmate of the party goers. The noise continued periodically until 3:25 AM. Most annoying when you consider I had to get up at 4:45 AM to go to work. And this great experience only cost us another $162.00.
A chat with this same friendly desk clerk revealed that this group is repeat offenders with a large number of complaints from other guests but the upperr management keeps letting them come back. She apologized repeatedly but that isn't enough to get my business for return trips.

Room Tip: Try the Baymont.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank kasey305
Dear Kasey 305,

I am very sorry to hear of your recent stay. The evening you did stay we had a college formal in the facility. On the contract we stated that quiet time would be 11:00pm, which clearly did not happen. The front desk attendant that was working that night did try to quiet the group down, which did not work. Something additional should have been done to either evict them from the premises or ensure that matters were taken care of. No management was contacted throughout the night, which I wish would have been done to get the group under control. With this said, all front desk staff has been freshly trained on what to do if a situation like this ever happens again. I know this does not make your stay any better, but I would like you to know that this situation will not happen again.

I am also disappointed to hear about the housekeeping issues. This means of cleaning is not up to our standards. We have talked to our housekeeping supervisor and the housekeeper that was in charge of cleaning your room and have once again reviewed how to properly clean the guest rooms. Again, I apologize.

Because your stay did not meet your or your company's expectations, we have contacted your company and have took the charges off both of your room nights and have sent an additional free nights stay for you to use.

My goal is to do whatever we can to make this situation right, so if you need anything else, please feel free to contact me! Thank you for your time and for your feedback! Again, the management team at King’s Pointe Resort is very sorry for the trouble we have caused and for the unpleasant stay in our facility. We do hope to see you again in the future to make the situation right.

King’s Pointe Resort
(712) 213.5701

Travelers are raving about these Storm Lake hotels

Atlantic, Iowa
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Kings Pointe is right on the lake and is,very scenic. However, it's not the luxury hotel it would like to be. Service is average at best. My room had a automatic door closer that didn't work so the door slammed every time it closed at oil from the closer was dripping down the back of the door. The fitness center had several pieces of equipment that didn't work and the water dispenser was empty. Plus the walls are thin and so noisy neighbors will keep you up.

Room Tip: Lake side is more money but worth the view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Todd,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review regarding our hotel. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not all that you had hoped for.

I would like to apologize on behalf of our team for your poor experience. I am sorry to hear our service was not up to your standards and that the automatic door closer was not working properly. Since your stay, I do believe we do have the fitness center back in order and we have asked maintenance to regularly check the water dispenser so we no longer have a guest without water during their workout.

We will address your concerns to the front desk manager and the Regatta Grille manager to ensure the service at our facility remains at a high level as we strive to provide the best service possible. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

We will also have housekeeping and maintenance look at the automatic door closers in the rooms to ensure all are working properly. I'm sorry you had to deal with this during your stay. Should you ever experience anything broken in your room in the future, please feel free to let us know so we can provide a different room or fix the issue as soon as possible to ensure your stay is satisfactory.

I'm also disappointed to hear that you could hear your neighbors. Sometimes groups do get loud, but we try to keep the noise levels low so everyone can get a good night’s rest. In the future, we'd be glad to provide you another room that you can get adequate rest in or we can ask your neighboring guests to keep their noise in check.

Again, please accept my apology as we strive to uphold the highest level of service to our guests. We want everyone who stays with us at King's Pointe Resort to have a great experience. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at the contact information provided below. Again, thank you for your time and for your feedback!

(712) 213.4500
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 31, 2012

i called to make reservations was told not once but twice outside water park would be open wasn't, drove three hours for my son spring break weekend. Called down to voice my concern with inhouse manager not at all concerned.Called and left several messages with managers one, no return call , second manager stated he didn.t believe a word of what i said. I payed for lake view no lights on frist night pitch black. There were stains on carpet. The linen was ragged and so thin you could see though it. The breakfast frist morning hash browns looked like mashed potatoes with sour cream and cheese, the biscuits were hard and dry. was some improvement over food second day. But never in my life have i payed for such bad service and management don't care. I came with another group they didn't recieve much better.

Room Tip: Make sure staff know about the events and when they are happening
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#3 of 4 in Storm Lake
Boulders Inn & Suites Holstein

Been to King's Pointe Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!