“Very Nice Facility ..... not so nice company”

King's Pointe Waterpark Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Storm Lake
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Well, this is interesting -- we were apparently at Kings Pointe at the same time as the reviewer below us (kasey305). First, the only bad point -- like that review mentions -- the management apparently is in a bind to fill their rooms during the colder "off-season" when the waterparks are closed. Soooo ...... that means take any business you can get -- like "fratcom" parties, even if their behavior is obnoxious. The big bash "beer cans in the hall" party was apparently the night before we arrived. We heard several people talking about it.

That extent of misbehavior did not occur during our two nights there. However, there were other shenanigans going on -- like loud trumpet & trombone blasts in the room next door, and generally loud carrying on. However, when they went out on the balcony, and saw my disapproving mood through the glass door, they all jumped over the balcony from the 2nd floor, to the ground level below, and went in that room, which was part of this big group as well. I guess they stayed in there all night, because we had no further interruption (except some brief hallway noise) the rest of the night.

This is not our kind of place or company we would like to stay with.

Beyond that, however, all other observations are very good. We had a really nice suite (just like kasey305) but got it at a regular room price because they oversold the regular rooms like we had reserved. No problems with cleaning each day -- done well. Beautiful lake view -- we were most pleased with the physical facilities. Beds were very comfortable, and service at the front desk was very good too. Did not eat in the restaurant -- just went to a fast food restaurant for breakfast; and dinner at other restaurants.

We will be back in the area in July. Would like to stay here again -- but probably will not, due to the much higher summer season rates, and the "company" we had this time. Rather than the Baymont or Super 8 in Storm Lake, we will probably opt for the relatively new Pocahontas Inn ..... since our business is in Laurens, not Storm Lake.

I decided to give more weight to the actual facilities in my rating, rather than the obnoxious company that was staying there with us.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Weston66,

First, I do thank you for your kind words about our facility. I’m happy you enjoyed the room, the view and the service. I am sorry to hear about the issues with noise in your room though.

The Saturday evening you stayed with us, we had a college formal in the facility. On the contract we stated that quiet time would be 11:00pm, which clearly did not happen. The front desk attendant working that night did try to quiet the group down which did not work. Something additional should have been done to either evict them from the premises or ensure that matters were taken care of. No management was contacted throughout the night, which I wish would have been done to get the group under control. With this said, all front desk staff has been freshly trained on what to do if a situation like this ever happens again. I know this does not make your stay any better, but I would like you to know that this situation will not happen again.

We do hope to see you again in the future. I would be glad to send you discounts for any future stays if you are interested. Feel free to email or call me at the information listed below. Thank you for your time and for your feedback! Should you need anything else, please feel free to contact me.

King’s Pointe Resort
Director of Sales
(712) 213.5701
kberg@kingspointeresort.com

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at King's Pointe for 2 nights. I read reviews before we went but DIDN'T believe them having found many times that previous reviewers of a property were expecting too much. HOWEVER, the reviewers of King's Pointe were almost spot on. My only disagreement with previous reviews was the friendliness of most staff (exception was a bartender and server in the lounge who were more interested in discussing their plans for the weekend than in serving guests) and the beauty of the room. The check in hostess was wonderful ~ smiling, friendly, helpful as were our food servers in the restaurant. The room,which was a suite (the only type of room left when my reservation was made) was attractive and well appointed with 2 queen beds, a comfortable sofa/sleeper, 2 average tv's, an adequate work area for my husband, a full size coffee maker (a big plus for me), microwave and small refrigerator (which needed defrosting badly). The walls weren't paper thin like previously stated, more like cardboard.
The first night at an acceptible rate of $127 was ok and that's where my good comments end.
We were away for the second day and returned to find our room had been given a "lick and a promise" cleaning. The beds were made and pillows placed on the bed. The decorative pillows were left lying on the floor. The coffee pot was not cleaned and the dirty coffee cups were left on the counter. They definitely practiced towel recycling as only our wet washcloths were changed, not the wet hand towels that were in the sinks or the bath mat. I used up the bottle of hand lotion due to dry skin, but a fresh one was not placed back in the basket where I had previously found lotion. And it was down hill from there. The resort was fully booked with families but even more with a Fratcom (whatever that is) party. The entire evening and night was NOISY with beer cans, beer bottle caps, and drink glass litter through out the hallway. The party was in most of the rooms around us and a peek through the "peep" hole showed that it was in front of our room door as well. Complaints to the night desk manager would have been useless as the young person more than likely was a classmate of the party goers. The noise continued periodically until 3:25 AM. Most annoying when you consider I had to get up at 4:45 AM to go to work. And this great experience only cost us another $162.00.
A chat with this same friendly desk clerk revealed that this group is repeat offenders with a large number of complaints from other guests but the upperr management keeps letting them come back. She apologized repeatedly but that isn't enough to get my business for return trips.

Room Tip: Try the Baymont.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kasey305

Dear Kasey 305,

I am very sorry to hear of your recent stay. The evening you did stay we had a college formal in the facility. On the contract we stated that quiet time would be 11:00pm, which clearly did not happen. The front desk attendant that was working that night did try to quiet the group down, which did not work. Something additional should have been done to either evict them from the premises or ensure that matters were taken care of. No management was contacted throughout the night, which I wish would have been done to get the group under control. With this said, all front desk staff has been freshly trained on what to do if a situation like this ever happens again. I know this does not make your stay any better, but I would like you to know that this situation will not happen again.

I am also disappointed to hear about the housekeeping issues. This means of cleaning is not up to our standards. We have talked to our housekeeping supervisor and the housekeeper that was in charge of cleaning your room and have once again reviewed how to properly clean the guest rooms. Again, I apologize.

Because your stay did not meet your or your company's expectations, we have contacted your company and have took the charges off both of your room nights and have sent an additional free nights stay for you to use.

My goal is to do whatever we can to make this situation right, so if you need anything else, please feel free to contact me! Thank you for your time and for your feedback! Again, the management team at King’s Pointe Resort is very sorry for the trouble we have caused and for the unpleasant stay in our facility. We do hope to see you again in the future to make the situation right.

King’s Pointe Resort
Director of Sales
(712) 213.5701
kberg@kingspointeresort.com

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Kings Pointe is right on the lake and is,very scenic. However, it's not the luxury hotel it would like to be. Service is average at best. My room had a automatic door closer that didn't work so the door slammed every time it closed at oil from the closer was dripping down the back of the door. The fitness center had several pieces of equipment that didn't work and the water dispenser was empty. Plus the walls are thin and so noisy neighbors will keep you up.

Room Tip: Lake side is more money but worth the view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Todd,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review regarding our hotel. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not all that you had hoped for.

I would like to apologize on behalf of our team for your poor experience. I am sorry to hear our service was not up to your standards and that the automatic door closer was not working properly. Since your stay, I do believe we do have the fitness center back in order and we have asked maintenance to regularly check the water dispenser so we no longer have a guest without water during their workout.

We will address your concerns to the front desk manager and the Regatta Grille manager to ensure the service at our facility remains at a high level as we strive to provide the best service possible. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

We will also have housekeeping and maintenance look at the automatic door closers in the rooms to ensure all are working properly. I'm sorry you had to deal with this during your stay. Should you ever experience anything broken in your room in the future, please feel free to let us know so we can provide a different room or fix the issue as soon as possible to ensure your stay is satisfactory.

I'm also disappointed to hear that you could hear your neighbors. Sometimes groups do get loud, but we try to keep the noise levels low so everyone can get a good night’s rest. In the future, we'd be glad to provide you another room that you can get adequate rest in or we can ask your neighboring guests to keep their noise in check.

Again, please accept my apology as we strive to uphold the highest level of service to our guests. We want everyone who stays with us at King's Pointe Resort to have a great experience. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at the contact information provided below. Again, thank you for your time and for your feedback!

King's Pointe Resort
(712) 213.4500

Reviewed March 31, 2012

i called to make reservations was told not once but twice outside water park would be open wasn't, drove three hours for my son spring break weekend. Called down to voice my concern with inhouse manager not at all concerned.Called and left several messages with managers one, no return call , second manager stated he didn.t believe a word of what i said. I payed for lake view no lights on frist night pitch black. There were stains on carpet. The linen was ragged and so thin you could see though it. The breakfast frist morning hash browns looked like mashed potatoes with sour cream and cheese, the biscuits were hard and dry. was some improvement over food second day. But never in my life have i payed for such bad service and management don't care. I came with another group they didn't recieve much better.

Room Tip: Make sure staff know about the events and when they are happening
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank millie c
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My family and my parents traveled from Minnesota, and my brother traveled from Omaha with his family. We gathered at King's Pointe for a weekend together in early December to have a family Christmas. It was fun!!

Our main reason for choosing King's Pointe was the water park. The 4 kids had a blast! The adults did too! The indoor waterpark isn't huge, but it was enough to keep the kids entertained. We were also impressed with the discipline of the life guards. Constantly walking and keeping their eyes on the water.

Our room was comfortable. However, the walls were paper thin. I got to listen to the neighbor order pizza for her family and rattle off her cell phone and credit card numbers. It was pretty late at night and we just wanted to sleep!

Housekeeping was disappointing. We had 2 beds. One bed got made. The other did not get touched. We had visibly soiled sheets on one of the beds and not only did they not make the bed, they didn't change the sheets. I had to call and ask for new sheets. I was back at the pool when the sheets came, and they were only placed on the table for us to remake the bed ourselves.

The food at the restaurant was pretty good. We ate most meals there. Service was slow though.

Overall, a good choice for a family getaway. It would be fun to go back in the summer and try the outdoor water park as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Front desk staff was very pleasant and checkin very quick. Ordered room service which was also delivered quickly. Upon delivery I asked what to do with the dishes- was told to leave them in the room and housekeeping would get them when they cleaned the room. Stated I would prefer not to have dishes with food particles sitting/smelling in the room all night. Then was told to call room service back and they would come pick the dishes up. Between 7:30 and 8pm- if even that late, called to inform them dishes were ready for pickup. Was told I could put them outside the door and I specifically asked if they would be picked up and not left there overnight. Was told yes. But when I left the room to go down to breakfast at 6:30am next morning, dishes still there sitting in floor as they had not left the tray when food was delivered. Informed the front desk upon checkout. This was not only disgusting, but very unhygenic. Front desk made a note and stated she would inform proper personnel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2012

enjoyed the ability to have a indoor and outdoor activities available for the family, rooms were adequate ...really enjoyed the stay and the views. First time stayed had a suite room adjacent to the blowers from the dining facilities...bad choice...actually like some of the other guest rooms better.

Room Tip: Search for discounts...can be a bit pricey...but nice savings on gas expense
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#3 of 4 in Storm Lake
Lighthouse Inn
Lighthouse Inn
#2 of 2 in Storm Lake

Been to King's Pointe Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!