Village West Resort - West Lake Okoboji
$111
Northland Inn Motel(Spirit Lake)
$100
Super 8 Spirit Lake/Okoboji(Spirit Lake)(Great Value!)
$101
Great Lakes Inn(Spirit Lake)
$89
$76
  • Breakfast included
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji(Okoboji)(Great Value!)
$130
$129
$109
$109
$139
$90
All reviewsfishlake okobojibar eaterymovie theaterstar placea great weekjet skiwasher and dryermemorieschancesboats
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have read all the bad reviews about Village West and was leary of spending a week there but we had a great time. Our one bedroom unit was very nice and clean with a full kitchen, great air conditioning (since it was over 100 degrees the week we were there), a good sized bedroom and nice living room. We shared a washer and dryer with one other unit on our floor. Yes, they give you 2 rolls of toilet paper for the week but they gave us another roll when we asked. The people at the front desk were very friendly giving us directions to local places. It is a fun place for families with kids as they have various activities on site for families including movies, miniature golf, an arcade and daily arts and crafts. The beach is clean and there are a number of eating places, fine dining and casual. I would recommend staying here and would come back again.

Room Tip: There are no elevators but only two floors in our building. So if climbing stairs is hard for you, get a room on the ground level.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slewis3922
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at the Village West resort last weekend. We usually stay in the separate hotel unit, but since they had a large group coming in that weekend, our only choice was a hotel room on the lower level of the main building. We opened the door to an overwhelming smell of mold. Yes, mold. The carpet had a sheen on it from the dampness in the room, and there was a spot of green mold growing on the wall. The decor is straight from the early 80s - old TV, ugly quilted bedspread, thin, ragged towels, old-fashioned wall air conditioner. Also, there were dead bugs on the bathroom floor. It was obvious that the room hadn't been used in a while. There was even mold growing on the clock radio! I didn't want to stay there, but had no choice as there were no other rooms available. I made a complaint to the front desk that night. The next day the housekeeping staff did clean the clock radio and wipe the mold out of the toilet. We had to run the air conditioner continuously (which didn't even work that well) to dry out the room and make the mold smell not so strong. Our swimsuits and towels would never fully dry, even when I hung them up right away, due to the dampness of the place. I finally had to request that our room be vacuummed on the last full day of our stay. Guess that's not a standard housekeeping task here. Also, the front desk staff isn't that friendly. The man checking me in treated me like an idiot because I didn't know where our room was. Sorry...we've never stayed in the main building before. Also, rules are posted EVERYWHERE at this place. You must do this. You cannot do that. I understand standard pool rules and such, but it's at the ridiculous level, especially since this place delivers so little in return. Everything you want to do is an extra charge. Ping-pong balls, mini golf, tennis, etc. I'm surprised they don't charge extra for the pool. Everything here needs to be deep-cleaned and updated. Instead, they put the bare minimum into the place. We've stayed here at least once for the last 8 years and the only thing they've added is an outdoor pool. The welcome packet says, "You'll note many new and exciting changes throughout the property." Really? What are they? There's only free Wi-Fi in the lobby - nowhere else. Even two-star hotels usually have internet access. Please save your money and stay elsewhere. You'll be happier and not have to stay in such a dated, dirty place. We won't stay there again.

Room Tip: The only thing going for this place is the beach. The A-frame cabins may be better, but I've heard that they're dated too. The separate hotel unit is dated too, but not quite as damp. If you're staying in the time shares, bring extra toilet paper, paper towels and garbage bags. They provide NOTHING extra. Nada. Everything is their way or the highway. Nothing is for the customer. I will say that we had an OK experience at Betsy's Diner, the Boathouse Bakery and the gift shop. The marina is also OK. If you want to use a deck chair, bring your own. The people staying closer to the beach drape their beach towels over the chairs on the beach all day, whether they end up using them or not.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Beth L
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Bring your own toilet paper!!! Seriously!!
We have stayed here before and was shocked to learn you must bring your own paper products as the rooms are furnished with one roll or less per bathroom and one box of Kleenexes whether there is only a few left in the box..and a roll of paper towels per unit for one week. REALLY!!! What are these people thinking??? They claim users were taking extra home..so why not be reasonable and charge extra for any excess use. One roll per bathroom for each unit for a week is crazy. And we pay $600 plus for maintenance fees each year...get the owners opinion..not the same old members that attend the annual meetings that live around here.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stay at Village West several times a year. It does need major updating but that means the rates go up. Check out time is 10 AM, don't even think about calling for any more time unless you want to pay an extra $25 for an "unauthorized" late check out. My fault, but really?? Anyway, the out door pool is newer and nice. The T.V's are pretty bad. No internet unless you want to go inside. The indoor pool needs about $100,000 to get it back into the 1990's. WIth that being said, Okoboji is popular and there are not a whole lot of options with the kids that are under or near $100 a night. You get what you pay for here.......

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee i
Reviewed August 3, 2011

For a very detailed reveiew, please ready Trip Advisor contributor below, 'gdbrown16s". He has hit it spot on.

Over the 20 years I have been an owner, I have seen a few good improvements, but have seen this property decline further and further over the years. My kids have always had a blast coming here, however, it does need some big help in updating, repairs, and agreed also with gdbrown16s, the beds and sofas are not so comfy. The A frame houses are the best to stay in. We have one close to the beach. We have stayed here summers and winters, and it really makes a fun Winter weekend getaway to relax, use the pool and onsite restaurant/bar.

I will be selling this time share plan, a week in May- if anyone is interested, contact me.

I would recommend this for a family-- but this is not a "fancy" resort, just a down home fun time near the lake in a resort atmosphere with resort amenities

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family