“Gary's”

Gary's On The River
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Spencer
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This place is fun, different, but most of all great BBQ ! The only thing I would change is the salad.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We love this place for its atmosphere and the food. Beautiful setting and atmosphere. If you love smoked meat you will love this place, but there are also other options. The wait staff seems too busy quite often and that would be my only complaint.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We recently dined at Gary's and found the food to be excellent and reasonably priced.The restaurant is located in a charming old church with a view of the river from many of the tables. . The wait staff was a little off , we had to ask twice for refills and extra honey butter.
We started with a smoked chicken jerk cheese dip with pita chips, very flavorful.
My husband had the ribs and thought they were some of the best he had ever had. I had the brisket and it was fork tender and delicious. For sides we had the mac and cheese and beans which were excellent. I also had the cajun corn, not so great.The cornbread was good but cold, it would be great if they had served it warm. The servings were huge, both of us took half of our dinner home.
We will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We have eaten here twice. Between my husband and I we have decided to not return. Their food is "too much of a good thing". Too much sauce, too much salt, everything is heavy. I don't know but it tastes like the chef is a heavy smoker.

The staff didn't seem to know the menu well and were not friendly or skilled in service.

I'm sorry to give a negative review. I'm sure that there are people that like this place but my advice is to go downstairs to The Bear.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I went to Gary's on the river Tuesday night the 25th of February. Food good (nothing special) and was cold when brought to our table. Ordered onion ring appetizers and cold. Both had sandwiches and (cold) and my wife had two sides, borracho beans and mac & cheese (cold). Should have sent everything back but didn't. Server was very good and we tipped her accordingly. Maybe a bad night, don't know. Building beautiful and not as upper scale as I expected which was fine with us. Beer at $4.25 a bottle outrageous. Also cannot figure out how they got by without putting in an elevator for ADA compliance, stairs are a deathtrap and one day someone will be seriously hurt or killed on them.

1  Thank trace49