“Family gathered for wedding”

Days Inn Hotel Spencer IA

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were able to check in early, which was nice because we drove 3 hours to attend a wedding and I was hoping to get ready beforehand. The young lady at the front desk was helpful in making that happen. The unfortunate part of our stay was the next morning at breakfast, or lack there of. The staff neglected to keep anything in stock, and then blamed it on a "new person". They didn't even have coffee out. This typically isn't a big deal, but the with the 3 hours drive back home, I was hoping for at least a warm cup of coffee. Room was very clean and comfortable, it's too bad that this tiny flaw ruined the experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had called way in advance to book our room while we were in Spencer for the clay county fair. I had specially asked for a non smoking KING bed. I had a confirmation number and price of $89.99 plus taxes. When we arrived in Spencer that morning I called to let them know we were in town and would not be checking into our room until after 6pm. I confirmed my reservation, and was told they were holding my room and that it would be available for us whatever time we arrived. We arrived around 7:30 pm to a rude young man who said there was a problem with my reservation and that they have to give our room to someone who had booked a month ago and requested a king size bed. I stated that was exactly what I had done and that I had gone one step further and had called that very morning and confirmed also. He stated well they got here first and demanded our room and that they could put us in a different room with 2 queen beds. Which really wasn't a problem, it was just the idea that I had done all that I did and was told everything was fine and room would be waiting no matter what time we arrived. The rude kid behind the desk stated that he could me me a discount for changing rooms. I will admit that I was upset as it seemed to be first come first serve and that it didn't matter that we also had the reservation well in advance and confirmed that morning. I said we would take the room with the discount for them giving our room out to someone else. He then stated that price would be $82.99. A WHOLE $7.00 discount which then felt like a slap in the face. When I commented on that, he then seemed disgusted that I wasn't happy with the $7.00 off and said "Ok let me see what else I can do" he then ended up giving us $20.00 off the room which seemed to be a better offer for their apparent error in over booking. Rooms were clean with comfortable beds for a Days Inn. We have stayed in some pretty bad Days Inn's in the past and I was a little leary of staying in one again. But I called some people we knew up in that area and was told it was a nice clean motel. I will give it that. But when they make an error they have no reason to make you feel that you're the one in the wrong and have no reason to be upset over the mistake. Breakfast was nothing special.

Room Tip: I don't have a good tip as booking in advance and confirming that moring did nothing us for.