“Just fine for a night in Spencer”

Days Inn Hotel Spencer IA
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spencer
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Cosmetically, and in terms of cleanliness, this Days Inn is probably a bit above average for a Days Inn. I was satisfied with all the amenities in my room (hair dryer, fridge, microwave, etc, but no conditioner - ladies beware). The bed was pretty comfy but I wouldn't complain if they replaced the pillows. The breakfast was pretty decent too, I really liked the fact they had a waffle iron. They have a pool and access to a 24 hour fitness facility down the road, though I didn't use these things. I wish they had a fitness center onsite. One negative thing for me about this hotel though was the service. The manger that checked me out in the morning was just fine, no complaints about her. The clerk that checked us in though didn't appear very professional (piercings and tattoos) and the fact that we had 6 people in need of separate rooms (we had reservations) seemed to overwhelm her a bit and it took a while. When I got back from dinner I wanted to sign up for a rewards account so I rang the bell at the desk and then saw the sign on the desk "Desk clerk is away from the desk. Dial 0 for assistance." But I could hear them in the side room. I understand that they need break time or meal time but I don't think it would have inconvenienced them too badly to come out and help me for 2 minutes. Isn't that what they are there for anyway? But this probably is just about the best place to stay in Spencer, so I would probably stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Front desk folks were friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate. We'd been on the road for almost 2 weeks on our motorcycles and and good cereal breakfast is really best. Did wish they had Raisin Bran instead of Froot Loops and Cookie Crisp, but they did have yogurt! Would reccomend to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Rooms are cleans. Rooms are nice. Kids love the pool and hot tub. Cleaning staff friendly. Breakfast adequate. Front desk personnel RUDE!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Overall this is a decent hotel and a good rate. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. The walls must be a little thin since you can faintly hear your neighbors. Two things they should work on are the breakfast items in the breakfast room and the fact they only put 1 regular single coffee pack in your room. So if thier are 2 of you staying then you have to clean up and go to breakfast room for the second. That really frustrates me. I sincerely may choose a diiferent hotel on my bi-monthly trip to Spencer because of the coffee situation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
TLUV62, Owner at Days Inn Hotel Spencer IA, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thanks for the positive response. I will alert my staff right away to put multiple coffee packs in each room. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

The title says it all. Caused a huge inconvenience.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our family has stayed at this Days Inn since it was built. We come back time after time because its clean and the service is great - we feel like home. It is conveniently located near a nursing home where our Grandmother lived as well as close to restaurants and shopping . I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Long time since we used Days Inn, but this one was very good and would stay here again. Prime Rib restaurant was good and Silver Hammer Bar very friendly indeed.

Room Tip: No elevator, take ground floor.