“This is still our favorite hotel in Sioux City”

Howard Johnson Sioux City
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Sioux City
OKC, OK
“This is still our favorite hotel in Sioux City”
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I'm a little astounded at reading some of the previous reviews of this hotel, because in twice yearly visits to Sioux City for years, this has been our favorite place to stay. The building is a tower - like 11-13 stories and beautifully located in downtown Sioux City. It was originally built as a Hilton, which means that the "bones" of the structure are good. Over the last several years when it was sold from the Hilton, it had a series of owners and names, and a lot of maintenance and updating was not done until the Clarion chain bought them a couple of years ago. They are continuing to update rooms, and do make sure that you ask for an updated room.

Part of why we really like this place is the location in downtown SiouxCcity. You get free parking in the connected city parking garage, it's connected to the skywalk, which means you can get around to a lot of downtown. There are some great eating places within walking distance or a few minute drive. Because of the tower nature of the hotel, you get a great view. Rooms are nice size, and the rooms that I've stayed in generally have one wall of glass, floor to ceiling to the outside, so it's quite light.

The Clarion has slowly and steadily continued to make progress in updating the hotel. Prior to change in ownership, the rooms were getting shabby, working ice makers were at a premium, and one of the first changes the Clarion did was install wireless internet. The only change the Clarion made that I was less than thrilled with was the color they painted the pool area.

Again, I'm surprised at some of the reviewers comments on hotel staff. We've just never had any problems with them. I generally travel with pets, and they have always been very accomodating, including the cleaning staff.

There is breakfast availability there, but, frankly, I'd recommend going elsewhere. The continental part is OK, but you pay extra for the hot items, and for the price, you would have a better choice at Perkin's, just down the street. There is a bar downstairs, so you can also get a drink if you wish.

It's a moderately priced hotel, in a great location, and we just find it our home away from home in Sioux City.

• Liked — Location, room size, views, free wireless internet
  • Disliked — breakfast is only OK
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We arrived very late, after flight delays, but the check in was no problem. The room was quite large (but rather gloomy - even if daytime, there never seemed to be quite enough light), and the bed was very comfortable.

However, the opening hours for the breakfast room seemed rather limited and there was often no member of staff there. The first day we came back to the room, after a long day out, our room had not been cleaned - beds were unmade, towels not changed. We went to the front desk and were told "Well, they don't usually do that much." A night housekeeper came to our room, tidied up a bit, and gave us a couple of clean towels. She said that the other housekeeper had probably knocked on the door at 9am (when we were still asleep, after arriving very late) and not getting any answer had decided not to come back. We were surprised at only getting one chance at having our room cleaned - but this only happened on one day. I also got insect bites on my legs and feet while staying in this room. The location was convenient, and there were restaurants nearby for the days when we missed breakfast.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
south dakota
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Wow, we were very disappointed with the quality of this hotel. Even though we got a great price through priceline it wasn't even worth that price.

We were greeted by a deskclerk who didn't look at us or smile. She definately did not take pride in her appearance, nor did her supervisors. Her shirt was wrinkled and untucked. If she wasn't behind the front counter I would not have known she worked there.

We had 2 adjoining rooms. One room had a broken lock on in so our toddlers kept opening the door and walking out into the hallway. We stayed on the 6th floor and the only floor that had a working ice machine was on the 11th floor. So staying with 5 children it was very inconvient to get ice.

I had a huge work deadline to meet so I called earlier in the week to make sure they had working Internet at the hotel. But when we arrived the Internet was not working. The night staff was very polite and reset the Internet several times trying to get it to work. But it did not happen.

In the morning I went to the front desk to ask if they could have someone come look at the Internet because It was very important that I be able to get some work done that evening.

The female clerk looked me start in the eyes and said "Do you think I control the Internet or something. I can't help it if it is not working." Then she went back to ignoring me on her telephone call to a friend.

I stood there waiting for her to decide to come back to our conversation. She rudely asked "What else do you want?" I kindly explained that it was important that I get on the Internet this evening and asked if she could call a supervisor.

The clerk told me to use the old computer in the corner. After explaining that I needed to use my laptop for my work and getting extremely frustrated with her inability to be polite. I finally got a gentleman who came out from the back room to help me a bid. But he admitted that the only way I was going to probably be able to get the wireless Internet to work was going to be to sit with my laptop in the lobby.

Well, let's see I guess I'll put my 5 children to bed on the floor of the lobby and sit and do my work!

The weekend continued to get worse and worse. The pool was freezing so no child or even Adult could possible swim in it. The hot tub was broken. There was no refrigerator in the room. And no breakfast bar in the morning.

Overall the Clarion was a huge disappointment. Both its quality of hotel room and its quality of employees.

• Liked — covered parking
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank leadwriter
omaha
Reviewed October 9, 2006

Just OK----I always expect top-notch accommodations from the Clarion chain. in Sioux City I was "greeted" by a frumpy desk clerk in a wrinkled, dis-colored Clarion shirt. She was quite busy answering the phone and flirting with the custodian. It took her several attempts to activate our key cards since she was so distracted. Our room was just fine except for the bathroom. Red mildew decorated the shower curtain, and only the shower worked. A bath was not an option.
We were rudely awakened the next a.m. by the housekeeping crew who was intent on cleaning our room...although we had not checked out! Funny, when we left at noon, there was trash all over the hallway. All over the hotel I saw water-damaged ceilings and rag-tag carpets.Upon check-out, I tried to report the mildew and house-keeping booboo. The clerk was somewhat interested in the mildew (no apology), but she could not understand the problem with housekeeping coming so early. I explained it to her several times, but she just offered a variety of limp excuses.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — indifferent staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
perry, ia
Reviewed March 27, 2006

I was pleased with our stay to the Clarion Hotel in
downtown Sioux City. The two things that pleased my
wife and I the most were the great downtown location
connected to the skywalk system and the wonderful
pillowtop beds. Our room was clean and quite large
with a nice downtown view. This is an older hotel
so please take into account that not everything
looks new. The bathroom was somewhat small but very
nice with a beautiful new sink area and again clean.
The walls were okay but the wallpaper and walls
could be updated. Carpet wasn't bad and it was fairly
new and clean. The hotels shows signs of wear and
tear but I think they maintain it well. Just remember,
for the price your getting a good value and by no
means is it a 4 or 5 star hotel but it's a nice old
hotel that is well run and clean. Also, I'm not sure
if all the rooms have been updated so ask at check in
and make sure you get a room that has been updated
with new beds.

4 Thank Eric C
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2005

There were few nice things about this hotel. The worse thing was the heating which is evidently being replaced as we speak throughout the whole hotel. I went here for my honeymoon, got a last minute reservation so i didnt expect to much. We ended up getting an $89 room. Everything in the room was old fashioned, no lights on ceiling or walls, all the lights were lamps, and none of them matched maybe 1 or 2 out of 7. We were placed on the 3rd floor with windows that can not be opened directly opposite of a parking ramp that was used all night so we had to keep blinds closed for privacy. There was a small bathtub with shower. The Water was incredibly hot which was a plus i guess. There was an old tv that was annoying to watch. It was supposed to be a suite but the bedroom and the living room were technically 1 room but the bed was in a little box off to the side and lacked for room. The vending machines were on the opposite side of a thin wall right next to our bed and sleep was impossible. All in all after asking for something nice i believe that the Plaza hotel ruined our honeymoon so now we are spending more money all over again to try having a better ecperience at a different hotel. Also the 1st floor is beautiful, but of course thats the only thing. Ask to see rooms before you stay here, because they are nothing like what you see when you walk into the hotel.
I also live in Sioux City, and am embarrased that we were provided with so little from a hotel with such a good reputation here. If you do stay here, get a room on a top floor facing the river. Also I know that the air conditioners are currently being replaced in all the rooms. A better located room with better temperature may make for a much better night than we experienced.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 20, 2005

I had read on another web site that this was not a good place to stay but I was pleasantly surprised when we got there. It is old but not run down. Everything was in working order and clean. We really liked how it was connected by skyways to a lot of places. The ballrooms they had were beautiful. Maybe someone had a bad experience but we really liked it.

• Stayed January 2005