I'm a little astounded at reading some of the previous reviews of this hotel, because in twice yearly visits to Sioux City for years, this has been our favorite place to stay. The building is a tower - like 11-13 stories and beautifully located in downtown Sioux City. It was originally built as a Hilton, which means that the "bones" of the structure are good. Over the last several years when it was sold from the Hilton, it had a series of owners and names, and a lot of maintenance and updating was not done until the Clarion chain bought them a couple of years ago. They are continuing to update rooms, and do make sure that you ask for an updated room.
Part of why we really like this place is the location in downtown SiouxCcity. You get free parking in the connected city parking garage, it's connected to the skywalk, which means you can get around to a lot of downtown. There are some great eating places within walking distance or a few minute drive. Because of the tower nature of the hotel, you get a great view. Rooms are nice size, and the rooms that I've stayed in generally have one wall of glass, floor to ceiling to the outside, so it's quite light.
The Clarion has slowly and steadily continued to make progress in updating the hotel. Prior to change in ownership, the rooms were getting shabby, working ice makers were at a premium, and one of the first changes the Clarion did was install wireless internet. The only change the Clarion made that I was less than thrilled with was the color they painted the pool area.
Again, I'm surprised at some of the reviewers comments on hotel staff. We've just never had any problems with them. I generally travel with pets, and they have always been very accomodating, including the cleaning staff.
There is breakfast availability there, but, frankly, I'd recommend going elsewhere. The continental part is OK, but you pay extra for the hot items, and for the price, you would have a better choice at Perkin's, just down the street. There is a bar downstairs, so you can also get a drink if you wish.
It's a moderately priced hotel, in a great location, and we just find it our home away from home in Sioux City.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full Service Downtown Hotel located in the Historic 4th Street entertainment district. Close to Convention Center, Museum, Movies Theaters, over 14,000 meetings rooms for weddings, and business meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Howard Johnson Sioux City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sioux City Hotel And Conference Center
- The Sioux City Hotel Sioux City
- Clarion Hotel Sioux City
- Clarion Sioux City
- Sioux City Clarion