“Simple but comfortable”

Howard Johnson Sioux City
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sioux City
Reviewed April 22, 2008

The hotel is simple but comfortable. I stay at this hotel when I'm in town. The rooms have always been clean and I've found the hotel staff to be friendly. The restaurants up a couple of blocks have excellent food and there's a skyway that'll get you most of the way there in case of weather. The pool area is small but does the job if you just need to relax or hang out with the kids. I would recommend this hotel if you need an inexpensive place to stay. The only issue I have with this hotel is that you need to run the hot water for a minute or two before you get in the shower. Other than that, no problems...

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed September 3, 2007

The room was ok, but cleaning left much to be desired, e.g., top of splash guard around bathroom sink, not clean, also edges of carpets around the wall visible border of dust all around the room. No refrigerator or microwave in the room, Paint pealing off the back of the bathroom door. Room bascially need a wall to floor cleaning through out.

Free WiFi was good signal throughout, but no option to send anything to their printer, the desk clerk said did not know how and did not have password to get into the system either.

One free ealry model Gateway in the lobby was hooked up to a printer, but it took, 15 minutes to boot, no exageration here. They could get something better at a garage sale.

Pool and Spa were bit run down, bar and restuarant were closed most of time and had little or no business.

Hotel has potential to be 3 ro 4 star, with more attention to detail and maintenance.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2007

This stay was terrible. Was in town to celebrate family birthday. Arrived into a dirty room. Bed sheets were filthy and the bathroom not cleaned. Also had the do not disturb sign on the door, but the maid banged on the door very loudly at 9:30 in the morning. Checkout wasn't until noon. This was very rude. Did not appreciate this hotel at all. The linens in the room on the bed were very dirty.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mich23230
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I just recently stayed at this Clarion Hotel on 4th Street in Sioux City. I figured it was the best in that particular area since it has been newly remodeled and the prices were a bit higher. Wrong! I stayed there Saturday night and I bet I got maybe 1-2 hours of sleep. The walls are so thin I could hear my neighbors...And it was not something I really wanted to hear..The walls are so thin I could hear the lady BREATHING heavily among other things. Then when I did finally get some sleep (at about 9-10:30 am) I could hear the maids coming down the hall discussing if the people on my floor had checked out or not and if they should go to a different floor or not. When I went to check out the lady at the front desk was very unfriendly and did not even ask me if I had enjoyed my stay and if everything was ok. Shocked, I just returned my room cards and left. I can't believe I spent $100.79 to stay one night in this hotel and not even get a good nights rest. Maybe next time in the remodeling process something can be done about the walls, I don't know. All I know was it was NOT worth the money when I could have stayed down the street for about $30 less.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank InHotelHell
Reviewed July 10, 2007

This hotel was a great bargain for a 2.5/3 star hotel. It was clean and comfortable. I have stayed in 4 star accomodations that were no better. Nothing overly fancy yet it had what we paid for. If you are looking for and paying for beautiful front desk help choose elsewhere. Otherwise, the price I paid at Priceline made this a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I'm a little astounded at reading some of the previous reviews of this hotel, because in twice yearly visits to Sioux City for years, this has been our favorite place to stay. The building is a tower - like 11-13 stories and beautifully located in downtown Sioux City. It was originally built as a Hilton, which means that the "bones" of the structure are good. Over the last several years when it was sold from the Hilton, it had a series of owners and names, and a lot of maintenance and updating was not done until the Clarion chain bought them a couple of years ago. They are continuing to update rooms, and do make sure that you ask for an updated room.

Part of why we really like this place is the location in downtown SiouxCcity. You get free parking in the connected city parking garage, it's connected to the skywalk, which means you can get around to a lot of downtown. There are some great eating places within walking distance or a few minute drive. Because of the tower nature of the hotel, you get a great view. Rooms are nice size, and the rooms that I've stayed in generally have one wall of glass, floor to ceiling to the outside, so it's quite light.

The Clarion has slowly and steadily continued to make progress in updating the hotel. Prior to change in ownership, the rooms were getting shabby, working ice makers were at a premium, and one of the first changes the Clarion did was install wireless internet. The only change the Clarion made that I was less than thrilled with was the color they painted the pool area.

Again, I'm surprised at some of the reviewers comments on hotel staff. We've just never had any problems with them. I generally travel with pets, and they have always been very accomodating, including the cleaning staff.

There is breakfast availability there, but, frankly, I'd recommend going elsewhere. The continental part is OK, but you pay extra for the hot items, and for the price, you would have a better choice at Perkin's, just down the street. There is a bar downstairs, so you can also get a drink if you wish.

It's a moderately priced hotel, in a great location, and we just find it our home away from home in Sioux City.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We arrived very late, after flight delays, but the check in was no problem. The room was quite large (but rather gloomy - even if daytime, there never seemed to be quite enough light), and the bed was very comfortable.

However, the opening hours for the breakfast room seemed rather limited and there was often no member of staff there. The first day we came back to the room, after a long day out, our room had not been cleaned - beds were unmade, towels not changed. We went to the front desk and were told "Well, they don't usually do that much." A night housekeeper came to our room, tidied up a bit, and gave us a couple of clean towels. She said that the other housekeeper had probably knocked on the door at 9am (when we were still asleep, after arriving very late) and not getting any answer had decided not to come back. We were surprised at only getting one chance at having our room cleaned - but this only happened on one day. I also got insect bites on my legs and feet while staying in this room. The location was convenient, and there were restaurants nearby for the days when we missed breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple