“This is a bad hotel”

Howard Johnson Sioux City
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sioux City
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The pool area is so nasty I would go in it. Sauna was cold and didn't work. Paint was sticking to my feet from the pool deck, after I almost cut my hand on the pool door knob that wasn't installed properly.

The bed spread had a red spot on it. There is mold in the bathroom on the wallpaper. The paint is falling off the ceiling.
I have been here a hour and am not sure if I should stay.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were in town for an event. The staff was outstanding, check-in was fast and friendly. The room was spacious. We found a piece of a broken ashtray in the bathroom. The staff was very apologetic and the supervisor from housekeeping actually got on her hands and knees to clean up the glass and to make sure that there were no missed pieces. The view from the 11th floor was amazing!!

The bar is cozy, the restaurant was great. The pool looked a little dated, but it was very clean. The sauna was hot. :)

The skywalk is convenient, the map provided at the front desk was detailed and helpful.

I will definitely be staying here again!!! Thanks for an amazing weekend!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My room was pleasant and spacious. The hotel's address does not actually take you to the front door of the hotel, but rather to the convention center, which has no parking. I drove around for a bit before pulling into a parking ramp and discovered that one parks in the ramp and then drags one's luggage through the skywalk and then down an elevator to the front desk. There is no signage on the building directing one--on the street, in the parking ramp, or on the skywalk. I did find people who thought they had clues about where the hotel was and eventually I found it. When I was getting to leave, I asked for directions to my next destination, a well-known vacation area, but no one had any clue, nor did they have any ideas about where I might find directions and the front desk staff declined to print a map on their computer. I asked about a visitors center, but they did not know if there was one nor did they know how to look one up in the phone book or on the computer. Finally I asked about a business center, which they did have. After some haggling, they told me where it was and I printed my map. The front desk staff needs training and the hotel website needs to give information about the parking and finding the registration area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Author567
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel was formerly the Clarion and is apparently under new management The location is in downtown Sioux City and access to the skywalks makes it convenient to get around downtown. Our room had been renovated with new carpet, bedding, bathroom tile and granite, and a refrigerator and microwave. The room was spacious and comfortable. We felt perfectly safe with the parking in the garage and noted that the hotel access from the garage is locked from 1100 pm to 700 am. We did not use the restaurant or the lounge but they appeared to be reasonably priced. The pool and fitness area were clean but the pool deck paint was peeling and needs to be updated. My only complaint was a loud group of guests who arrived at 2:00 am and did not quiet down until 3:00 am. However, I don't blame hotel management for those rude guests. We would certainly return to this hotel if we are staying in Sioux City again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Hello... stayed here for three days. rooms are nice.. I had a great time and my stay was very welcomed. The pool was great. Neil the breakfast cook makes a really good breakfast it was amazingly good and he was very nice. I recommend this hotel for sure. Great 5 stars for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I just spent a week here for work. We had meetings in their 12th floor for 4 of the 5 days, and they made our breakfast and lunch each day. The people there are all nice and the food was decent too.
They offer free parking in the ramp attached to the hotel via the skyways. If you don't get a ticket they can validate, (many people encountered this issue with free parking on the weekends when we checked in) they will either give you a ticket already validated, or refund you the cost.
The rooms are alright. Quite clean but getting a little dated. The bathrooms are pretty small and they haven't upgraded to flat panel TVs yet. But besides that, it's a pretty decent place.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The good. If you need to be in Downtown Sioux City it is really in a great location. The beds are good. There is plenty of hot water the rooms are clean. Free parking in the city ramp. As a 40 year old man I felt fairly safe. The staff has been great. Here for a week long training. Food catered by the hotel for lunches was ok. Meeting rooms were either to cold or super hot. !2th floor is a great space for meetings. The bad. Rooms are clean but ruff around the edges a shower was ankle Deep in water. Crazy guy in hall the given shinny bracelets by officer friendly in lobby while i was sitting with friends in lobby bar. Walls are paper thin you will hear every thing your neighbors are doing EVERYTHING! the high speed internet is a 74 Vega going 45 mph on the freeway with it left blinker on. Its not a bad hotel but it is not great.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business