“My Favorite Place in Town!”

SoHo Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #5 of 218 Restaurants in Sioux City
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have dined at SoHos many times and have always received outstanding service and very very good food. I like the wide variety of menu items and they have a great liquor and beer selection as well. I have taken several friends with me on different occasions and they were all very favorably impressed. The next time I entertain I plan to have SoHos cater the function - as I know I can depend on them to provide consistently good food and efficient, personable servers.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I live in the area and have tried Soho Kitchen several times. It's a great physical location in the center of historic fourth street, with tons of foot traffic passing by in the evenings. The place is nice inside with the style perfectly matching the location The always seem to be well staffed with competent, well trained, well-dressed employees. Immediate seating has never been a problem. In fact, tonight (Friday) we arrived at 7:30 and there were maybe 3 or 4 other people in the place, The staff far outnumbered the patrons. It's not the building, location or staff that causes this. The problem is the mediocre food. Most of the food is utterly bland, generic and painfully unmemorable. Here's an example. Tonight I ordered their chili lime talapia with mango salsa. I figured it sounded interesting compared to the rest of the menu. What I got was a greasy, breaded and fried talapia filet on rice, completely covered with about two cups of what they called mango salsa. My fish was completely buried in refrigerator cold, tasteless, "mango salsa". It was about the consistency, temperature and texture of refrigerated canned fruit cocktail. Beyond the poor quality, the sheer amount was frightening.
One would naturally expect a chili lime dish to have some chili or lime flavor, preferably both, but this had neither. Because of the cold :mango salsa" , the fish and rice, which I suspect were hot at one time, were roughly room temp within a minute and cold within 2 minutes.
My previous experiences here were not any better. It's a nice building with terrible food. I have not tried the prime rib, as there are so many other places to get great steaks around the area. A previous reviewer said the prime rib was the best in town. I can't dispute that directly, but I can tell you all of the menu items I've tried have been very disappointing. The number of patrons makes me believe this place won't be around much longer.
Some of the best restaurants in Sioux City are within an half a block from this place. A great locally owned Italian place directly across the street, some of the best pizza in Sioux City right next door, and a place with excellent, creative and well executed dishes on the opposite corner. Do yourself a favor and pick one at random and eat there.

1  Thank Bob720x
Julie S, Owner at SoHo Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

At SoHo, we take great pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Upon thorough review of the situation via your description online, I only wish that you would have brought the problem to the attention of your server or even me at the time of your visit. It is impossible to correct any problem if we find out about after you have already gone and not at the time of service. As the owner, I am at SoHo every day from open to close.
In your review you mention previous instances of similar dissatisfaction with our food. As you will read, your review is the complete OPPOSITE to all of our other reviewers of on this site. It seems that we have never pleased you with regard to our cuisine. You mention 3 other neighboring restaurants that in your opinion have better food yet you continue to patronize SoHo. I do appreciate you giving us several tries and I thank you for the positive words on décor, staff and service. I can’t help but wonder why you continue to patronize SoHo Kitchen & Bar time and time again?
I also ask that you do not predict our longevity based on low occupancy on the date you last visited (it was all of Sioux City schools 1st football home opener so we had an unusually late dinner rush. Please do not “critique” dishes that you have not sampled (you mentioned our Prime Rib and steaks) as an FYI we serve only hand-cut Black Angus beef, always fresh, never frozen.
You suspect SoHo will not be here long- I along with many hundreds of happy patrons know that we are here to stay, for a very long time.

I suspect that you will visit us again and when you do, please ask for me so that we can discuss your concerns in person.
Very Sincerely,
Julie Schoenherr,
Proud Owner

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Food was good .. Service excellent ... Portions were adequate or "medical appropriate" ... Beer was cold and refreshing!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just wandering around on 4th Street, needed to eat, and picked this one randomly. Food was maybe a smidge higher priced than I expected. However portions were very big. None of my party of 4 finished their serving. My waitress was very friendly, and did a great job keeping drinks filled.

A pretty good list of beer to choose from. A good selection of micro brewery stuff, then some international, and then the usual macro brewery beers too.

The restaurant is a good fit for the neighborhood. Give it a try!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My title says it all. We come here almost every weekend for the prime rib. They only serve it on Friday and Saturday nights. I have tried some of their other menu items (such as the spaghetti), and they are very good as well. The wait staff is always very friendly, and it's a nice atmosphere in the heart of Sioux City. It's also important to mention that it is very reasonably priced.