“Average”

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Sioux City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

The price was right but no cell phone service, the old tv was terrible and the last time I was there I had to sleep with the door open cause it was so hot...no air. Doom rooms had microwaves and some didn't

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Value P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Dayton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Other ' guests ' were fighting all night. Hotel doors slamming - bodies hitting walls. No heat all in room. Breakfast was interesting. Scrambled eggs & sausage were o.k. Seeing fresh waffles covered with bananas and strawberries - topped with whipped cream coming out of the kitchen and being served to ' select guests ' that were not hotel employees .... left a bad taste in my mouth. As I checked out - I asked ' Dannelle ' at the front desk if I could get some type of consideration on a future stay. She said " No Way " and the other desk clerk just laughed ... I called Choice Hotels to place my first complaint about this property. As the reviews show - they are or should be well aware of the problems. Maybe if Godzilla were in town and there were no other rooms available - I might stay again .....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank CountryRoadsScholar
Matt P, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I would definitely like to explain the breakfast situation. Some of the guests will buy their own food and ask us to prepare it for them. While I can see how frustrating that could be to see it only going to other guests we were only trying to help those guests that brought their own stuff. You would be more then welcome on your next stay to bring in food and we would prepare it for you. Again my apologies for the confusion.

7122773211.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our room smelt like raw sewage some of the staff were quite rude definitely not worth what we paid for it only good thing about this stay was the pool needless to say I will not be staying here again it was not very pleasant considering the smell of the room

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Browneyes2787
Matt P, General Manager at Rodeway Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
3/31/2014
Hello Guest,
I would just like to apologize to you for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your stay. I always strive to meet my guest’s needs and sadly this was not the case with your stay. Unfortunately we did have a broken pipe during your stay and I can image you would be upset. This issue has been fixed and the smell is no longer an issue. Here at the Rodeway Inn our guests mean the world to us so please accept our deepest apologies. I would like to speak to you on the phone and we can discuss your stay, you should always be happy when you stay with us and that is how it is suppose to be. In closing I would personally like to thank you for your business and I am sure you will enjoy your next stay. Please feel free to contact me here at the hotel (712)2773211.

Thanks, Matt Paronto
Bloomfield, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Room smelled like someone peed all over in it. Floor was dirty safe had tissue paper stick in out of it. Stain on couch in room . tv buttons broke and way outdated TV. Not worth what paid. parking in back didn't make me feel very safe.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank dallassuhr
3/31/2014
Hello Guest,

Thanks, Matt Paronto
RAPID CITY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Hotel is located right off the highway. Front desk was very friendly and helpful. Room was at the back of the hotel which left a lot for feeling secure and leaving the car there. Room was ok, overall appearance was clean, an update of the room is much needed. Non-smoking but could smell smoke anytime someone in another room smoked. Carpet floor was tacky feeling. Sink was very slow to drain. Looked like new flooring in the bathroom, however the minute you started running water in the shower it did not drain and you were standing in it. Very touchy water temp, not safe for older adults or children, either very hot or very cold. TV worked well, too much coming and going with possible "call girl" activity happening near by. If I was traveling alone I would not feel safe, glad to have my husband with me.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here try to get a room closer to the front, or pay a little more and stay somewh...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LAURIE D
Matt P, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have learned that this hotel is NOT closing down--the information I was given was not accurate, and I have just booked my stay to return this summer for Bolinfest 2014! I apologize to the owner for perpetuating this rumor, but am thrilled to be coming back for another round of friends, fun and music!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Matt P, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
You are correct we are open and ready to meet the needs of all our guests. I am excited to see all the guests attending Bolin Fest this year. It will be a great time this year as usual so please remind your friends that the Rodeway Inn is the place to be to enjoy the full atmosphere of Bolin fest.

Thanks so much
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Was so sad to hear this place will be closing down soon as part of a development project.

Time to give them credit where credit's due: the Rodeway has been hosting the Tommy Bolin Fan Jam every summer for many years. I have been attending since 2011, but many of my friends have been coming for years and years.

Therefore, my star rating is not really for the property itself, which, on its own, I have to admit would probably be just about 2.5 stars. I am giving Rodeway a little extra on the basis of how accommodating they have been to those of us attending the fan jams over the years. From the group discount rate they've given us to letting us use the onsite bar, Gavin's Place, as well as the outside patio area to host the jams, I've had some of the best times of my life here.

There are no elevators here and the stairs are a pain, so if you have any kind of mobility issue, please ask for a downstairs room. The main building has inside corridors, although one feature I always found a bit unusual is that each room has a big window in the front that you have to keep the blackout drapes pulled if you don't want people to see in. (On the plus side, though, that's allowed those of us staying for Bolinfest to place posters in our windows, kind of like flying our colors!) Last year, some obviously drunk guy started banging on my door late at night, but as a female traveling alone, I had my door locked and the curtain pulled, so I chalked it up to an inebriated guy that just had the wrong room! By the way, that sort of thing can happen even at a Ritz-Carlton.

To be clear, this is neither the best nor the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. The rooms and the hotel in general are very basic and nothing to write home about, although I have never had the kind of problems described in some of the more critical reviews on here. My rooms have always been clean, the beds comfortable enough, good water pressure in the showers, fridge, micro and coffeemaker in the room. I appreciate that I can still book a smoking room, though I understand some people are sensitive to that. The free breakfast is appreciated (usually consists of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, biscuits and gravy, plus free coffee), though I was a bit miffed one time I stayed that they wouldn't let me bring a tray back up to my brother, who was still sleepy. Something about Iowa state law; dunno if that's true or not. The parking is ample and free. Front desk staff couldn't be nicer. Last year, they even ran a shuttle van to and from the Ickey Nickel Bar & Grill for Bolinfest attendees so we wouldn't have to worry about having a few drinks at the festival, and the driver took me all the way back out there to retrieve my debit card that I had stupidly left at the bar!

Location of the hotel is convenient to the highway, though I've never been bothered by the noise. There's a Horizons restaurant across the street which has basic Denny's-like fare (not great, but it'll do when you need a bite). There's a company next door that makes funeral headstones, so it's not the most cheerful neighborhood, but there's also a drive-through credit union ATM (very handy!). Not much else around, but a short drive down Hamilton will take you to HyVee market, Dollar Tree and dozens of gas stations and restaurants (try Minerva's for a real treat!).

There used to be both an indoor and outdoor pool at this property. The indoor pool still exists, is wonderfully heated to bath-like temperature, and boasts a hot tub (nice rolling boil, not a lame "wave" jacuzzi) and dry saunas (I've never used those). The outdoor pool, which I sadly never got the chance to enjoy, has just been chained off and allowed to go to seed and it's basically just a giant hole in the ground. From what I understand, the foundation cracked and it's not fixable. A lot of reviews complain about this. IMHO, there's an easy fix: stay away from it, watch your kids and use the indoor pool if you want to swim! See how simple that was? Truthfully, other than the dead pool, I love the patio area thanks to all the good times I've spent sitting out there with my pals just making music together.

Probably the biggest complaint I have at the Rodeway is that it is a complete dead zone as to cell phone service and the wifi does NOT work reliably at all. I imagine it's the cinder-block construction of the place, but it gets old really quick.

In summary, all other things considered, I'd recommend the New Victorian Inn & Suites on Singing Hills over any other hotel I've stayed at in Siouxland, but I want to thank the staff at Rodeway for many years of fond memories connected with the Bolin Fan Jams and I'm so sorry to see you go. We'll have to find another place to make magic going forward, but will never forget the good times here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends