Rodeway Inn & Conference Center
Super 8 Sioux City South(Sioux City)(Great Value!)
$76
$103
Fairfield Inn Sioux City(Sioux City)
$107
$73
Agoda.com
$116
Hampton.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Was so sad to hear this place will be closing down soon as part of a development project.

Time to give them credit where credit's due: the Rodeway has been hosting the Tommy Bolin Fan Jam every summer for many years. I have been attending since 2011, but many of my friends have been coming for years and years.

Therefore, my star rating is not really for the property itself, which, on its own, I have to admit would probably be just about 2.5 stars. I am giving Rodeway a little extra on the basis of how accommodating they have been to those of us attending the fan jams over the years. From the group discount rate they've given us to letting us use the onsite bar, Gavin's Place, as well as the outside patio area to host the jams, I've had some of the best times of my life here.

There are no elevators here and the stairs are a pain, so if you have any kind of mobility issue, please ask for a downstairs room. The main building has inside corridors, although one feature I always found a bit unusual is that each room has a big window in the front that you have to keep the blackout drapes pulled if you don't want people to see in. (On the plus side, though, that's allowed those of us staying for Bolinfest to place posters in our windows, kind of like flying our colors!) Last year, some obviously drunk guy started banging on my door late at night, but as a female traveling alone, I had my door locked and the curtain pulled, so I chalked it up to an inebriated guy that just had the wrong room! By the way, that sort of thing can happen even at a Ritz-Carlton.

To be clear, this is neither the best nor the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. The rooms and the hotel in general are very basic and nothing to write home about, although I have never had the kind of problems described in some of the more critical reviews on here. My rooms have always been clean, the beds comfortable enough, good water pressure in the showers, fridge, micro and coffeemaker in the room. I appreciate that I can still book a smoking room, though I understand some people are sensitive to that. The free breakfast is appreciated (usually consists of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, biscuits and gravy, plus free coffee), though I was a bit miffed one time I stayed that they wouldn't let me bring a tray back up to my brother, who was still sleepy. Something about Iowa state law; dunno if that's true or not. The parking is ample and free. Front desk staff couldn't be nicer. Last year, they even ran a shuttle van to and from the Ickey Nickel Bar & Grill for Bolinfest attendees so we wouldn't have to worry about having a few drinks at the festival, and the driver took me all the way back out there to retrieve my debit card that I had stupidly left at the bar!

Location of the hotel is convenient to the highway, though I've never been bothered by the noise. There's a Horizons restaurant across the street which has basic Denny's-like fare (not great, but it'll do when you need a bite). There's a company next door that makes funeral headstones, so it's not the most cheerful neighborhood, but there's also a drive-through credit union ATM (very handy!). Not much else around, but a short drive down Hamilton will take you to HyVee market, Dollar Tree and dozens of gas stations and restaurants (try Minerva's for a real treat!).

There used to be both an indoor and outdoor pool at this property. The indoor pool still exists, is wonderfully heated to bath-like temperature, and boasts a hot tub (nice rolling boil, not a lame "wave" jacuzzi) and dry saunas (I've never used those). The outdoor pool, which I sadly never got the chance to enjoy, has just been chained off and allowed to go to seed and it's basically just a giant hole in the ground. From what I understand, the foundation cracked and it's not fixable. A lot of reviews complain about this. IMHO, there's an easy fix: stay away from it, watch your kids and use the indoor pool if you want to swim! See how simple that was? Truthfully, other than the dead pool, I love the patio area thanks to all the good times I've spent sitting out there with my pals just making music together.

Probably the biggest complaint I have at the Rodeway is that it is a complete dead zone as to cell phone service and the wifi does NOT work reliably at all. I imagine it's the cinder-block construction of the place, but it gets old really quick.

In summary, all other things considered, I'd recommend the New Victorian Inn & Suites on Singing Hills over any other hotel I've stayed at in Siouxland, but I want to thank the staff at Rodeway for many years of fond memories connected with the Bolin Fan Jams and I'm so sorry to see you go. We'll have to find another place to make magic going forward, but will never forget the good times here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2013

You get what you pay for, and in this case - perhaps a bit less. Front Desk staff was very friendly! The room was a bit tired, and not the most clean I've ever seen but it could have been worse.

Positives:
Heat worked well
Friendly FD Staff
Decent Selection of TV Channels
Our Non Smoking Room felt smoke free.
Bed was a bit noisy, but pretty comfortable.

Not So Greats:
Odd room layout with a window for a wall
Seems lots of local contractors stay here as their home, and work odd hours (lots of coming and going late at night/early in am....3am ish.
Hallways were smoky

Overall, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kids here, but for myself and my adventerous wife - it was OK.
Wish we would have checked out the lounge, that is a nice feature that would have been good to check out. I want to give it 3 stars, but can't say it matches the "average" defination of 3 stars, when this would be slightly below what I consider average.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Across the USA and back again and this is by far the nastiest, grossest cheap dump! Heat/fan didn't work and room was clammy and hot all night, no privacy, no service, ONE towel for a double bed room, never got clean sheets, so smokey we all got nasty coughs from staying in this hell hole. and when we told them thy offered nothing..stay away!!! Far away! There are plenty of nice places to stay for the same price!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank WebbsTraveltheUSA
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was booked into the Rodeway Inn by Hotwire who misrepresented this hotel as being a 2-star hotel (even though if you choose this on the "show you portion" of the website, they only rate it as a 1-star). Upon arriving, I was shocked by the look of this establishment, so much so that I chose not stay at the facility. (Reading other reviews on this website, I find others obviously had the same experience.) I tried to get my money back from Hotwire, who refused and further, have just learned from my credit card that they also could not secure a refund. I would not stay at this hotel, nor will I ever us Hotwire again. They are not to be trusted.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sksimpson
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We appreciated being able to find a room after dark in this area but after we got in the room we decided to check-out. It was supposed to be non-smoking but it smelled like smoke and there was an ashtray in the room. It appeared from the parking lot action that perhaps there were weekly rentals. This hotel is not a Choice Hotel. The staff was very nice and agreed to credit back the room charges.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family