“Black Bear Diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Bear Diner - CLOSED

Black Bear Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: "Outstanding quality, bake on site, great menu, huge portions".
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Black Bear Diner”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I liked the atmosphere and the staff were very friendly! Waitress was very attentive. The food was average. This is a casual atmosphere. The menu has a good variety to pick from.

Visited May 2013

“Terrible food”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been here a few times. The last two and I mean last, I ordered a burger cooked medium and it came raw. The other time I ordered a stuffed chicken thing and it was ice cold. Terrible!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Robie D
Salix, Iowa, United States
“Better quality at McDonalds”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Ive tried this place several times, each time My experinece has been horrid. My order gets mixed up, food is put on the table cold, and their service is HORRIBLE. I found myself asking for refills, trying to get price clarification and then when the bill came the waitress "didnt say that" and she clearly did. No management any of the 4 times I was there on site, the place was beyond filthy and dirty. Prices for food are a little much for the amount you get and the quality. Have had hair in my food twice, and my husbands burger one time looked like it fell on the floor and they served him anyway. WHen we asked for management, we were told to "email later" of which I did, with no reply.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Tisha N
“Really not happy”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have rated Black Bear before but enough time has passed to allow me to review it again. Today, I am a bit upset.
We were in the mood for comfort food today but sure didn't find comfort at Black Bear. It was about 1:30, so the restaurant really wasn't all that busy. What happened today can't be a result of being shorthanded or busy. However, they apparently had been busy as many of the tables hadn't yet been cleared from lunch.
When we walked in, a somewhat surly young lady said, "What do you need?" We were a bit taken aback by the question but indicated we needed a table for 2. She walked away without saying anything and left us standing there. We were in a great mood at that point and figured she just went to see if she could find a clean table.
She came back because the phone was ringing. She answered it and spent about 3 minutes talking. No one else asked to help us, so we just waited. There were several other employees standing around so someone else certainly could have either taken the call or walked us to a table. Once she finished her call, she led us to a table clear in the corner of the restaurant. All around were tables that needed cleaning. Crayons and food littered the floor. When she slammed the menus down, she said, "You can just sit here." Yes, that is really what she said. Weird. She then left and socialized with a waiter who was attempting to clear a table. He looked at us and smiled but then left and we didn't really see him again. He's waited on us before so we know he's a great server.
No one came to check on us . . . ever. At least 4 servers were out and about cleaning tables and waiting on a few families seated in an area just beyond where we were. We waited approximately 10 minutes and still, no one came by. Even if someone would have stopped by to say they'd be right with us, that would have been great. My friend was going to check to see if someone would help us but then we just decided we didn't want to give them our business today.
As we were leaving, I mentioned to the person at the counter that we were taking off because no one had acknowledged our presence. I am not one to ask for the manager but did ask for a name thinking I would call later. I was asked if I wanted to speak to him. I wasn't ranting. I was speaking in a calm and rational tone. I agreed that I would talk to him. She left and did not come back nor did anyone claiming to be a manager come over. We simply walked out in disbelief.
This experience was almost surreal. We were baffled. We did nothing to deserve any sort of poor treatment. We were friendly, smiling, and in great moods when we arrived. It was almost as if we were purposely ignored. Very strange.
If you've seen my other review, you know I am not Black Bear's biggest fan. However, there are times when a person just wants comfort food. I believe I will seek that comfort food elsewhere from now on.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank IowaLakeGirl78
Sioux City, Iowa
“I don't get the hype of Black Bear.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Black Bear always seems to be busy and personally, I just do not get it. I have had decent food here and while the prices are indeed reasonable, there are far better places to go in Sioux City. This restaurant was a favorite of someone I dated, so I have had my share of meals there. I will say that breakfast entrees are probably their best and they are available all day. The 7-grain pancakes are quite tasty. Outside of the breakfast items, I really haven't had anything I'd call all that delicious.
Black Bear has nightly specials and if you order one, you will receive so many plates it can be difficult to fit everything on the table if you have more than 2 people in the group. Yes, the portion sizes are HUGE and that is putting it mildly. I personally do not like that feeling of being super full.
If you like comfort food and a lot of it and food that isn't really all that flavorful, Black Bear is your place.

• Visited December 2012