“BBQ, yes, but restaurant...not so sure.”
Review of The House of Q - CLOSED

The House of Q
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Sioux City, Iowa
“BBQ, yes, but restaurant...not so sure.”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I enjoyed pulled pork sandwiches from this fellow back when he had a mobile operation and expected his restaurant to be the same. Perhaps it IS, depending on when you go there, but I would say while he knows how to make good BBQ, running a restaurant is another challenge - one that needs some work. Both of us felt the BBQ was warmed-over stuff that was actually BBQ'd days before we arrived. We tried both ribs and brisket and were underwhelmed even when compared to a mediocre chain-eatery like Famous Dave's. On a positive note, great beer selection and the beer recommendation was spot-on!

• Visited September 2013

“Good, but not Great”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I've eaten here twice and both times I have taken my food to go, So I can't comment on the atmosphere or service but the food is pretty good. I had brisket both times and it was good. It had a nice flavor, good portion for the price, but it was slightly dry. The sauce I had with it was very tasty. I also tried the mac and cheese balls but they were burnt and dry. I would probably stop here again if I was craving BBQ but other than that probably not.

• Visited August 2012
“Excellent local eatery”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Give this place a try. You will not be disappointed unless they are out of whatever menu item you ordered.

Visited September 2012
Sioux City, Iowa, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not so amazing anymore”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place used to be awesome, but now that they have been open awhile everything has slacked off and gone down hill. My kids wanted a burger and what they got was a reheated burger. It was so tough they couldn't eat it. My husband had the heaven on a bun and he said that it wasn't what it used to be. When the girl brought our food, my mom asked her if she could bring us some mayo since the 6 of us were crammed into a tiny table, and she said "no, it's self -serve". We were table 1 of 2 in the whole place. Once we did get our own mayo, we found that it was expired. The owner really needs to do something quick or they won't be open long. It's too bad because I used to recommend that everyone eat there.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Joleen T
“Catered nicely”
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I served 50+, people with the help of The House of Q, after my mothers burial service and don't have any complaints. Large portions (enough for a smaller dinner afterwards) and great on-time service. Everyone coplimented on how good everything was especially the pulled pork.