“Top notch Burgers in a Hispanic restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Mexican, Fast Food
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
La Quinta, California
“Top notch Burgers in a Hispanic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The name is burgers but the menu is mostly Mexican as are all the cooks. Never mind. They get burgers and fries right! Reasonable prices and the Mexican food looked great also.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Steven W

Spencer, IA
“Excellent Made to Order Food for a Value Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at this restaurant twice now. The first time we went through the drive through. The second time we went inside the restaurant. If you want your food right away, you should order ahead by phone for a carry-out order. But we were greeted with a smile and friendly service immediately. The staff could easily answer our questions we had about menu items. They serve breakfast all day long which is a big plus for me. They have a very extensive menu. I love their very authentic Mexican style tacos for only $1.00 each. I also love their salsa and their burritos. Their cheeseballs are also very good for a very good price ($3.50 for a pretty big portion size). We have not tried their burgers, but the burgers that we saw that other people had looked and smelled good (especially for the value price). They also have omelettes and salads and many other sandwiches (like a BLT and tuna and tuna melt and grilled cheese and club and turkey and ham). They make the food to order. It is like homemade. And it is served with a smile. The restaurant is an old KFC and is an older, smaller building. But it is kept very clean. We live about 100 miles from Sioux City, but this is going to be one of our new favorite restaurants to visit any time we are in town.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank drwlaw2
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best part of Sioux City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm a native Sioux City girl that comes back to visit family about once a year. Living in DC where everything is Salvadorean or Peruvian, a Mexican stop was a must do, and I do it often. I have been married to La Juanita's for life, so it took a LOT of coaxing to try out Jim's Burger instead - especially when the name doesn't sound like Mexican food. However, people, this place is amazing!

I've never had a burger there for the simple fact that you can get a good burger in the Midwest just about anywhere. TRY THE BREAKFAST BURRITOS! The combination is my favorite, but I assume all are good. They weigh about a pound each, no joke, so I usually share with my mom or husband. Their red and green hot sauces are not very hot (the green isn't at all), but are very tasty and a delightful addition to the burrito. Their pickled carrots are free and a must have as well. They sit on the counter where you order or ask for them when you drive through.

They also sell cheese balls! This was exciting for me because I can't find them anywhere outside of the Midwest. For me, eating here is like two birds + one stone. One order supplies about 30 balls, with ranch if you want it, and it's inexpensive at about $3.00. I believe the burritos are around $3-5, but so worth it considering it feeds two.

I've eaten at the Gordon and Leeds locations and both are fantastic. The interior of the Gordon location is always immaculately clean and well organized. There is table service for coffee refills and plate clearing, so it's like a pseudo cafe. I've never eaten inside of the Leeds location so I can't attest to that, but their drive through is reliable.

TIP: If you're getting burritos, call your order in about 5-10 minutes before you get there. Everything is cooked to order, hot and fresh, so it may take a few minutes of waiting for it.

• Visited April 2013
Sioux City, Iowa
“A Honest Review from Honest Joe”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm a burger connoisseur. I like them fresh and perfectly made. The buns to be crisp, not soggy. The vegetables to be fresh and brightly colored. The cheese to be perfectly melted upon the meat, and the bacon to be crispy.

It doesn't take a lot to make the perfect Double Bacon Vegetable Cheese Burger.

I went in on a Tuesday night at 7pm. The restaurant is a converted KFC and I remember what it looked like as a KFC. It looks much the same with garish "OPEN NOW" vinyl graphics on the exterior, no booths inside, and a rather stale and uninviting atmosphere. Your typical small time diner where they buy the cheap restaurant furniture and pay very little attention to detail and decor. There are two televisions installed that will keep you entertained for hours, but they were tuned to the local broadcast stations so I assume they don't have cable.

I looked over the menu and my wife ordered a Western burger with fries and tea and I ordered a Vegetable Bacon Cheeseburger with fries and water. The total was just under $15.00. We received our food in a fairly timely fashion, about eight minutes from the time that we ordered it. It seemed like a little bit long, but the TV helped to pass the time.

There is hot sauce on the tables, so when they brought out the burgers I asked for ketchup, and the waitress was just pulling it out of her pocket. We ate most of the fries first, and they were reasonable as far as fries go. They were very lightly seasoned with an all purpose seasoning that was mostly salt and they were too crispy to be fresh cut. All in all, the french fries are reasonable for most people's palates.

Moving on to the burgers. By this time we had let them sit for about five minutes while finishing our french fries in their wax paper wrappers. Burgers do not decline in five minutes, it takes them at least fifteen minutes to turn into unpalatable mush. However, upon first bite into these burgers, we were disgusted. The meat seemed rather overcooked and tough as far as hamburgers go. The vegetables that I observed included lettuce which wasn't even of a quality that I have ever seen on a one dollar McChicken, tomatoes that were pink rather than red, and a healthy overdose of onions on the burger. Eating this burger was not the culinary delight that I was looking forward to based on other reviews on TripAdvisor, rather it was a chore of drudgery that was made worse by the fact that I was hungry and wanted my supper.

My wife's Western Burger was no better. It was supposed to have barbeque sauce on it and there was none. As she was eating it I observed the onion rings on the burger, and they were very mushy and unpalatable, and she immediately took them out of her burger and left them. I took one bite from one and found it to be a quite disgusting onion ring. Part of that was from being in the burger for awhile, but I would not have expected the quality to decrease to this extent.

After this unpalatable experience, my wife was full. I thought I'd sample a Steak "One Dollar Tacos". I was expecting something on the order of a hard shell taco from Taco Johns, heavy on the lettuce and light on the meat, but of a size that was reasonably easy to eat and palatable.
What I received was neither of these.

It was a small soft shell taco, with two taco shells on the bottom, approximately three and one half inches in diameter, on a plate that measured about five inches across, with a small mixture and mound of ingredients in the middle. I couldn't tell what all was included, but it included about a tablespoon of steak, a tablespoon of cilantro, some tomato, some diced onions and a few other ingredients. Unlike the burgers, this appeared to be reasonably fresh and palatable. However, being on such a small taco shell, it was very hard to eat. I eventually settled on separating the two taco shells on the bottom and making a little bag out of the two shells so I could reasonably hold the taco without spilling all of it.

As I said, I was expecting a taco at least five or six inches in diameter with the same amount of stuff inside, so I could roll it up and make an actual taco that I could eat in about four bites. I finally tasted it, and it was hotter than I expected, but it was easy to eat and once I got used to the initial taste it was good. I wouldn't get it again, as I feel I should have more for my food dollar than a tiny taco.

The waitress never came back out to the table to check on us after we ordered our meal, so I had to go to the counter every time I wanted something. This is to be expected in a fast food restaurant, but when the restaurant is slow and we were the only customers there it would be nice to hear from the waitress once during our visit. In most fast food restaurants we usually have opportunities to interact with the staff more than just at the counter when we order.

Overall, I would not return to this restaurant because it is thoroughly lacking in atmosphere, and the food isn't the best. Save your money and go to McDonalds and order an Angus Burger, you will get a much better value for your food dollar in a much more inviting atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank DeafJoe
Sioux City, Iowa
“Delicious Mexican food/Inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

It is a good place to go to get an inexpensive, tasty, Mexican lunch! Freshly made--doesn't have that "chain" taste or appearance! Also, quick service.

Visited September 2012