“Food amazing and staff like family” 5 of 5 bubbles

Johnnie Mars Family Restaraunt
Ranked #22 of 209 Restaurants in Sioux City
Cuisines: American, Greek, Diner
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sioux City, Iowa
“Food amazing and staff like family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The down home food served here is truely comfort food. If you get a basic burger and fries or a Greek salad you won't go wrong. The staff treats everyone like you walked into their home and you feel like family. The homemade rolls and frosting are amazing and the pies are heavenly!!

Love to visit this place on Saturdays for the prime rib!!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Sirena S

Papillion, Nebraska, United States
“We didn't leave hungry from here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were heading home from North Dakota and read on Tripadvisor about this restaurant so stopped. It closes at 9 pm on Saturday, but we made it a little after 8 pm. My daughter and I each ordered the Greek Salad with gyro meat and it came in this huge bowl with a delicious homemade Greek dressing. My husband had the chicken fried chicken with homemade soup, fresh mashed potatoes and country gravy, etc. Yes, the salad bar is small, but when you get all the other food, do you really need more than a small salad? Their pies are homemade, but who had room! I'm sure people get bad meals every once in a while, but we're glad we stopped and enjoyed some great home cooking. Is it a fancy place, no; is it clean, yes; are the prices reasonable, very; would we stop again, yes if we were in the area.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Azbylut
Sioux City, Iowa
“Nice friendly family restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've stopped here a couple of times for dinner, and had perfectly acceptable meals. I did really like the Greek fries, with loads of feta cheese and greek seasoning. And the prices are reasonable. Only drawback was the noisy servers, practically yelling at their customers, as though everyone had a hearing problem! It was really distracting.

Visited March 2013
Sioux City, Iowa
“Happy I Gave It Another Chance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My last review of Johnnie Mars was not complimentary and I now feel obligated to rescind that review.
My weekly dinner group chose Johnnie Mars and our group of 9 dined here last Wednesday. The seating area is very small but they accommodated us because someone in the group called ahead. Because of my last experience, I was skeptical but wanted to give it another shot. We were promptly seated and the owner stopped by to see how we were doing and to welcome us. A waitress took the drink orders of those of us who had arrived early and kept checking back with us to see if we needed anything while we waited.
Wednesday night is "All You Can Eat Spaghetti" night and several members of my group had that. It truly was AYCE because the server came back more than once to refill their plates if needed. I tasted it and found it to be okay but it is different. I stayed away from the fish this time and had the chicken fried steak. It came with the salad bar, soup, and a roll. The salad bar is nothing to write home about size-wise but everything is fresh and seems as if it is homemade. The soup, chicken and rice, was delicious. In fact, soup and salad bar would have been enough. Back to the chicken fried steak - it was easily the best I have ever had. I normally like to bring something home for the dogs but chose to eat every bite with the exception of the mashed potatoes and gravy I shared with my significant other.
Even though they were busy and our group took up a lot of space, we were never made to feel rushed and chose to sit and talk after our meal. During this time, our server kept our soft drinks and coffee refilled.
When we paid at the counter, the owner rang up our order and chatted with us for several minutes. I left feeling good, very good.
I am so glad I gave Johnnie Mars another shot. The prices are great. The service was personal and this time, my food was delicious.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sioux City, Iowa
“Never a bad meal. Ownership is great.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My family has never had a bad experience here. We come regularly after church and they are always jam packed. If there was ever a mistake with our meal, the ownership/management was quick to fix the problem immediately. Around the holidays, they ownership has even been known to pick up the tab as thank you to their customers. Great people, and great staff. To the person giving this place 1 star, I can't speak for the fish, but everything else has never failed. Maybe you should try again.

• Visited November 2012