“Mostly excellent, only one thing seriously sub par.....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bev's on the River - CLOSED

Bev's on the River
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Creston, Iowa
“Mostly excellent, only one thing seriously sub par.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We popped off I-29 for dinner on our way north on a weeknight, eager to use a promotional coupon. This is a beautiful establishment with a wonderful view - you can see the river even at night. Cool back-lit menus, excellent beer and wine selection, fairly priced for a slightly up-scale dinner menu including a variety of dishes. (available to peruse online.) Very good table service, attentive and polite. My surprisingly generous house salad had delicious fresh mixed greens, and tomatoes - (although I would have preferred the shredded cheese on the side, not integrated.) Dinner rolls were absolutely excellent! The Alaskan King Salmon Filet and asparagus spears were perfectly cooked, parmesan risotto was ok, not remarkable. Garlic mashed potatoes were divine, not too "garlicky". Portion sizes were just right for us.
And heres the one minus: My son ordered the stuffed Iowa pork chops (two 5oz center cut chops) One was perfectly done, was competely raw inside. Quite a surprise. The manager was incredibly gracious and apologetic, he offered us a replacement dish (we declined) and credited us the pork chop meal.
I haven't gone to this restaurant often enough or heard enough about Bev's to decide for myself if the raw pork chop was an anomaly. However, based on everything else that was served I'd go to Bev's again, to try some of the other dishes and enjoy the riverview in the light of day.
As we were leaving, I happened to overhear the kitchen staff discussing their error and they were honestly trying to figure out what went wrong, concerned yet completely professional. Nice!

• Visited January 2014

Sioux City
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Artichoke Snack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

You cannot beat Bev's for a quick couple beers and a serving of their artichoke dip and bread! Awesome taste and just the right portion for a mid-day appetizer. The view of the Missouri River is always nice, even in the winter.

• Visited January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Food and service above average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Bev’s is one of the nicer restaurants in Sioux City with a nice atmosphere on the banks of the Missouri river. While known for their steaks, the menu offers a wide range of choices, including a couple of signature pork dishes, a variety of interesting chicken options plus a handful of pasta dishes. The men settled on red meat, including the 11 oz. ribeye and beef tenderloin tournedos, two 4oz filets. The women both chose cashew chicken stir fry. Everything comes with a house salad, a generous serving, and the steaks included grilled vegetables and cheesy potatoes, although mine were more similar to potatoes Napolean. The food, the presentation and the service were all above average.

The wine list covers all the bases and is the most affordable one I’ve seen in years. But, then again, I’m used to big city prices. As an added bonus, all bottles under $99 (which is almost everything), are half price on Wednesday’s. It lost a little respect, though, when I spotted a White Zinfandel. Maybe it’s the market they serve, but really, in this day and age?

Our tab for four was $90 pre-tip and didn’t include any alcohol, but did include one dessert. The bread pudding was good, but I’m a Southern boy used to tasting whiskey or rum in my sauce. It claimed to come with a bourbon sauce, but I tasted nary a drop. Come on, Bev’s, make it real.

Honestly, I left impressed at the quality of the food for a town like Sioux City. It’s a touch of big city sophistication in a rather casual town.

Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States
“Parmesan Crusted Salad Bowl.... Need I say more?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

God loved me when he thought up this baked cheese bowl that is edible as you are eating your superb Caesar Salad from Bev's on the River....

Iowa
“What I had was good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Ate an early dinner here midweek. The facility is gorgeous. And the bar was filled with lively, attractive people, but I came to eat. As I was just getting over a cold, I decided to order a salad and appetizer instead of a full meal. The iceberg wedge salad was great, especially after they made a couple of substitutions to fit my tastes. I ordered the crab/cheese dip appetizer as the rest of the meal. It was very good, but really heavy. My mistake for trying to make an entree out of it, less of it as a starter would have been better. Service was very good. Overall, I'd return for a meal.