“Not children friendly”

Holiday Inn Express Sioux Center
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sioux Center
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I recently stayed at this property booking two rooms. I was there with my daughter and her family for South Dakota State Championship Hockey tournament. I felt the amenities were below standard for a room that cost $146 per night as my room did not have a mini refrigerator nor microwave. We realized 11-12 year old boys can be very energetic so our team rented a conference room so the kids could play their games there and not be running around the halls. We were told they could not play indoor knee hockey using nurf balls. On the second day they turned off the elevators as there was "too much traffic on the elevators". Each day approximately 20 kids had to go up and down stairs with large hockey equipment bags. To end this review with a positive note, they had a good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stevehole
liz s, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sioux Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Mr. Hole
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.
We want to inform you that elevator was not shut down, but was broken during the time you stayed. It has since been repaired. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our guests.
It is a standard rule in our hotel playing hockey indoors is not allowed . However we did accommodate your team by allowing them to play knee hockey in the Meeting room.
We are a family friendly hotel and strive to provide the best quality stay for every guest including children.
We hope you stay with us again and find the quality stay we hope to provide.
Thank You!
Liz Scholten

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We recently stayed here in Sioux Center Holiday Inn and very glad we did. Our business was in nearby Orange City (only 10 min drive) but with only one hotel option there and reading reviews we decided to drive the 10 mins to Sioux Center and glad we did. Holiday Inn is very easy to access, clean rooms and with a courteous staff we are glad we made the decision.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2013

i booked 7 rooms for myself and my wedding party. The front desk associate was extremely friendly and volunteered to place the gift baskets for my wedding party in their rooms. Since I was the groom and have platinum elite status, she upgraded my room. The room had a jacuzzi tub next to the bed. It was awesome. The room was spotless and very well lit. In the afternoon they had Almond patties at the front desk. It was one of the best Holiday Inn Express hotels that I've stayed in. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lorme J
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hotel provides quality service. Staff is very friendly, check-ins are quick, and rooms are very clean. Hotel also ensures a peaceful stay and does not have tolerate any disruptive behavior there. The breakfast is not the strongest, but at least the hotel provides free continental breakfast and all-day coffee. Pool area is spacious enough for several people and kids to enjoy. Hotel is also convenient to Highway 75, so one can have easy access to interstate highways to get to Sioux Center, Sioux Falls, Omaha, or Sioux City.

Room Tip: For a few dollars more, I would get the suite, as it allows more space for family or friends to rela...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

A bit pricey, but rooms were clean and staff friendly. The hot breakfast options in the morning were amazing. Never have I had sausage, biscuits, and gravy at a hotel that doesn't have a restaurant! Beds were really comfy and the outside area around hotel quiet with pretty view of the golf course. Minus--never could connect to the free WiFi (could have been the user, LOL). Oh, and no fridge.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator! Very noisy...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Although the price seemed a little high (group reservation for wedding) the hotel is new and very clean. Very courteous staff at the front desk both at the check-in and during the evening. They serve a hot continental breakfast which was very good too!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I spent a week at this hotel and had no major issues during my stay. The hotel is fairly new and everything about it is clean. My room was spacious and the only item missing was a refrigerator but I do know how to use the sink as a cooler. The wifi worked every time I needed to connect and the continental breakfast was average for the offerings, but very clean and well kept. About the only thing that irked me was that I requested that my room not be cleaned every day since I don't make a mess and don't need new towels and sheets every day since that's a waste of energy and someone's time; but yet one day when I returned early from business I found one of the staff in my room making the bed and taking my towels. I did try to emphasize my request but there was a language barrier so I just let it be since I would rather stay at a hotel that is eager to replace my towels and sheets as opposed to one that takes no interest in cleanliness.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in NW Iowa but the only downside is that there is nothing within walking distance. I do like to go for a walk once business is complete to find a local establishment where I can enjoy an adult beverage. Unfortunately here in Sioux Center I was grabbing cold ones from my bathroom sink.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 2 in Sioux Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sioux Center? Share your experiences!