“Iowa type”

Breitbach's Family Dining
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Sherrill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“Iowa type”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a wonderful experience. This had been planned for years with friends, just what you'd expect from a rural Iowa Roadhouse type restaurant. Buffet meal at nood was awesome, very nice salad and soup bar setup. Warm food was hot and well prepared. Lots of food and always kept fresh. Staff was very pleasant. You have to go there!

• Visited February 2014

Dubuque
“Something to please everyone!”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I read some of the reviews about people complaining of the buffet- its boring, bland, someone even called it trough food- LOL. I am not a buffet person myself, so when I go there I order off of the menu. If you like shrimp you need to order the fresh shrimp-OMG delicious! I can not comment on the rest of the menu because I always have the shrimp! My hubby has always liked everything he has had as well. The service is always amazing, and you can't beat the atmosphere!

• Visited September 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
“Great service, average food, VERY loud”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We used to go here frequently as a family and the food was great. Now, at the best, it is average. The shrimp on the buffet were obviously frozen and mostly breading. The potatoes are instant (UGH), and the fish pretty tasteless. The ribs were not good. The salads were good, and my husband enjoyed his soup. The best part was the pie, which I would rate above average. THe drinks from the bar were good, and arrived promptly. The server was great, though. My husband had recently undergone oral surgery and could not chew. The kitchen staff pureed his soup so he could eat with the rest of us. Two of our party ordered off menu- the catfish was a bit below average and the other said the steak was very good. The biggest problem was the fact that the 2 tables nearest us were incredibly and overwhelmingly loud, to the point we could not hear each other talk. A minor annoyance was the obvious confusion of the owner when told we had a reservation for 6 at 6:30 and he couldn't find a table for 15 minutes. I don't think they "do" reservations. On the whole, I would stop in for the view and pie, but not spend that kind of money for frozen food from Sam's Club.

• Visited November 2013
Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
“Yummy comfort food & coziness”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We always say we are going to order off menu, but the buffet always looks so good we get that instead. We have been here many times on motorcycle travels and by car. Always welcoming by owner, and food is always the BEST!

• Visited October 2013
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Greatest Family Resturaunt.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I can not say enough of Mike and the crew. This is a long ride from Chicago and worth it. I do not like buffets but love Thiers's. I'm a diabetic and avoid sweets but must have a slice of pie when I visit Breitbach's. If you are traveling the Great River Road you must stop here. This is extremely biker friendly place. Come in a mini van or bike you feel welcome and will not leave hungry. I've taken a lot of people over the years and have yet to find one guest disappointed.

• Visited July 2013