“Great pizza - unique atmosphere”
Review of Bombfire Pizza

Bombfire Pizza
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Sabula
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: 563)249-8688 Phone
Description: 563)249-8688 Phone
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A very unique place, the super thin crust pizza is honestly wonderful, the interior is not for the feight of heart. Good thing they serve food on paper plates and plastic cups and tableware or I wouldn't touch a thing! Go for the great pizza and the experience.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

A co-worker highly recommended this place for a fun friends road trip so I had high expectations even before stepping foot inside the place. I almost rated the place a 'Terrible' but I didn't because of the neat atmosphere and the owner and server being friendly to our group.

Atmosphere: This place speaks to anyone's groovy side for sure. The decor is all a throwback to a time where Make Love, Not War was a common saying and goodbyes were followed by a two-finger piece sign. The menus are old record covers which was a nice touch. There were some children's books along with coloring books for the kiddos and different adult games like trivial pursuit and others. Unfortunately there were quite a few negatives on the atmosphere part. The flies were terrible, hands down. It would have helped if the owner actually fixed the torn screens instead of putting a car grill cover over the top. LOL With that said, be prepared to tolerate the no air conditioning as well. I'm glad it had cooled off a bit that day because otherwise it would have been unbearable inside. The place could also use a HUGE cleaning. It was really dusty, especially downstairs. The outdoor patio was almost an option for our group but when we checked it out, there were only two tables and one was full of cig butts.

Service: It was a Sunday night and the place was VERY busy. We had a large group. It was impossible to sit together so we had to sit at different tables which kinda sucked. After we claimed our tables we noticed there was ONE waitress for the entire restaurant. Yikes! We felt a bit sad for her. She was very friendly and tried her best to maneuver at least 9 or more tables herself. We definitely cut her some slack.

Food: After a long wait (which was expected) battling the flies, the heat and just chilled beer we had decided that this pizza better be worth it! We ordered the Margarita pizza. OK, I love thin crispy crust, it's my favorite, but this crust was full of inconsistent patches of crispiness. Some areas were perfect and crisp, other areas were chewy. I was expecting fresh basil and mozzarella cheese - nope. Just dried basil and not the most fantastic tomatoes. It didn't have the flavor I was expecting, which is probably why I was pretty disappointed. When a place is hyped up and it's not what you thought it was going to be, it makes the experience even worse in my opinion.

Value: Another reason we thought the pizza should be outstanding is because of the cost. A 14' gourmet pizza was $18 bucks. We thought that was really high for what the pizza lacked. We also read in our menus that all the servers are not paid. It's all on a volunteer basis. WHAT??!!! Seriously? You're charging that much for pizza with semi-cold beer in an unconditioned restaurant and not paying the servers working in your restaurant?! Wow!

Overall I wasn't really impress. The place has huge potential though. Lots of things to consider if he wants a successful pizza place. Perhaps I would have rated it a bit higher if the prices were a little more reasonable and my expectations weren't so high.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The pizza is awesome and the owner is someone you just have to come and meet. Tom is a great guy and would help anyone in need and this he has put into Bombfire pizza he has made the place very unique and the pizza is out standing...

2  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Take a road trip, and head to Sabula, which is a lovely and unique small town. and then got to Bombfire pizza. I have been here a few times with my family, and each time it has been magical. The pizza is delicious, with a yummy thin crust done just right. I woud also highly recommend the stuffed mushrooms. They have a terrific small-brewery beer list, and a nice list of Midwest wines. The waitresses are always friendly, attentive, and fun. The owner, who will certainly talk with you, is a great guy. So, it's already a warm atmosphere--and then add the incredibly unique interiors and decor! You would swear you were on the set of some movie, where the scene is happening in some funky, fun, arty, bohemian "cafe" in some big city or college town (where's Maynard G. Krebs?) But, you're not--you're in Sabula! Take time to walk around and just enjoy all the marvelous assortment of ephemera and pop culture and odds and ends and various styles of furniture, etc., on both floors and outside the restaurant. Bombfire has real personality and a true sense of joy about it--experience it yourselves!

1  Thank blink88
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Was just researching some places to go for a road trip. Went earlier in the day, but seen he was closed... does need to change his time in the window, but otherwise, it's a place u gotta c. It doesn't look much like the photos in the picture above, it's much more interesting. We then went to a local bar up the street and they said he's open for dinner. We con't on our adventure and then decided to go back and ck out the place. We r so glad we did. There was a little band performing in a tiny corner. They were really good for being youngsters and then got to know the people sitting next to us and they were the parents of a band member. We even got to c the kitchen and let the kitchen staff know they did a great job on our pizza. I got to chat a little bit withTom the owner... he is such a nice guy and very smart. I luv'd the decor and we even played sorry while we waited for our food and enjoyed the music. I will be back! I wish we had a little place like that here... We left with our belly's full of great food and met some great people while we were there!