“looking for good food in the desert of yorkshire”
Review of Ye Old Sun Inn

Ye Old Sun Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Ye Old Sun Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Colton
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
London
“looking for good food in the desert of yorkshire”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

While staying in Middlethorpe Hall, superb National trust property well with visiting but over priced restaurant we asked for recommendations for a good pub restaurant and were told to go to the Sun Inn as it had proper home cooked food. Before going we checked on the web and it looked good/okay. So we arrived to find the restaurant smelling of fish not great, ordered a beer very good black sheep bitter. Asked for recommendation of what to eat and followed their advice even though the most expensive items were recommended; always a risk. the food arrived and it was instantly obvious the the quality was poor chips that had obviously been kept heated since lunchtime inedible, cod steak which was fresh but the accompanying items were very basic is it too much to expect something more than basic cooking techniques. to sum it up the food met the tired and dire interior.

6 Thank MikeStone

York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An excellent evening on Valentine's Day”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've had lunch at Ye Old Sun Inn a few times, but this was my first evening meal. I booked rather late - a week before Valentine's Day when most other restaurants were already full - and I think I was lucky to get in as all the other tables were occupied. The decor is warm and inviting, and we were welcomed cheerfully by the barman when we arrived. We picked up a couple of drinks (chocolate orange stout - yum!) and then were shown to our table, where we were seated very comfortably with plenty of space (a four-seater table laid for two).

It was a more restricted menu than usual, but there was still plenty of choice. We started with a plate of nibbles - freshly baked breadsticks, olives, sundried tomatoes, parma ham and dipping oil. My starter was a delicious and fluffy Wensleydale souffle on a bed of baby watercress; it came with piccalilli vegetables but I'm not keen on piccalilli and they were happy to substitute a sweet chutney. My husband had a salmon terrine which he showed every sign of enjoying. Between courses we both had a little cup of parsnip soup, which was sweet and creamy with crisp little croutons. For the main course we both chose the ribeye steak, which was tender, juicy and flavourful and cooked exactly as we requested (medium rare for me, rare for him). The steaks came with tasty and tender chips with the skin on (amusingly served in a flowerpot), green vegetables, crisps, baby leaf salad, a grilled mushroom and a little tureen of creamy peppercorn sauce which was light and spicy. For the final course we were offered a choice of an assiette of sweets or a cheese selection, but we couldn't decide so we both had the sweets and shared an extra cheese board afterwards. The sweets were a dense and nutty chocolate brownie, ice cream (blackberry for me, mango for him) in a sugar tuile basket, a rich little creme brulee and a heart-shaped biscuit. The cheese board offered about half a dozen different cheeses to sample, served with a selection of thin biscuits (including heart-shaped poppyseed rounds and fun little cheesy foot-shaped ones) and a sweet chutney. We had another chocolate orange stout with the cheese and they went together well. Finally we were offered coffees and teas, but we were stuffed to the gills and declined.

The service throughout was friendly, fast and efficient; there was a quality check at every course which were handled in a low-key way that left us feeling the staff genuinely cared that we were happy. The whole meal including drinks cost £95, and we felt this was good value for money as we were full and enjoyed every morsel. Honestly, I can't think how it could have been any better.

Brigg, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked in for their Valentine's special evening dinner in an effort to spoil my wife. Ye Old Sun Inn lived up exactly to my expectations and delivered an excellent night out at a very reasonable price. The menu is always original and innovative (without trying to be flash), the ingredients are always fresh and local (where possible), the service is always polite and discreet, and the ambience is calm and conducive to a cosy, romantic meal. A delightful evening out. Can't wait to go again! (My photo of the pudding course doesn't really do it justice!)

Warwick, United Kingdom
“A real find - worth a little detour!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We visited Ye Old Sun Inn on the way home following a weekend in York. I'd picked it based on its TripAdvisor recommendation, and I'm glad I did!

They had a good selection of wine by the glass, and the two we picked were both very nice. The food was really good, and most dishes had an unusual twist to them. All 6 of us had something different, and everyone loved what they had.

The service was fine, but it felt a little like they were recovering from a busy Sunday lunch rush, but as we weren't in a hurry, it didn't matter.

All in all, a great meal, with good wine, and satisfactory service - I would visit again if I was in the York area, it was worth a detour!

York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic lunch”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I usually go to Ye Old Sun Inn for dinner but went with my husband for lunch recently - it was a cold January day but the Sun had a warming log fire going which made for a great atmosphere.

We only had a sandwich and the Sun's famous chips but what a sandwich - I had smoked salmon (I asked for some cream cheese with it as well, which they added) on lovely brown bread - the filling of salmon was extremely generous and the salmon tasted fresh and delicious - it came with a small bowl of coleslaw and salad - again delicious. My husband had the steak sandwich, which he said was cooked to perfection. As mentioned the chips at the Sun are without doubt the best I have ever tasted. We just had a coffee after, which came with some tasty petits fours.

As always the Sun provides delicious food and a great atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013