“Rural idyll”
Review of Hope Cottage Tours

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
Hope Cottage Tours
London, United Kingdom
“Rural idyll”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Spending the weekend at Sue's was utterly, utterly fantastic! We loved every aspect - the quaint and cosy hut, the wonderful view (a treat in the morning light and drenched in golden evening sunshine), the delicious homemade breakfast (so much care put into it and full of fresh produce), the friendly local pub (great pies!), the beautiful surrounding countryside (brilliant for walks and bike rides), the nearby quaint villages, proximity to town for restaurants...the list goes on!

But our favourite part of the trip was meeting Sue, an absolute gem. So warm and welcoming, with a fantastic sense of humour and generous of spirit - from lending us the bikes (a canoe may have been useful too with the flooding!), to giving the time to share advice on local walks, rides and eateries, to indulging us with her brand-new homemade marmalade. Our stay was for just two nights but, having had such a brilliant weekend, we fell in love with the place and felt very sad to leave...oh well, I guess we'll have to return again in the summer!

Room Tip: Try the Shepherd's Hut - really cosy with the woodburner going!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1_Parkins_1
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Aaah thanks Jack for such a brilliant review - I thoroughly enjoyed your company and hope you will be back in the summer when we have dried out a bit. At present the rain continues and the stream has come up to meet the ducks, they love it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oman
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This review is not based on just a couple of nights stay - we stayed at the Hope Cottage for two weeks! Sue and Bob are such wonderful hosts and made us feel so comfortable! We loved the home-made vegetarian food and never once did Sue repeat a menu! The location is beautiful, and the pastoral surroundings are so quiet and relaxing - an experience of the English countryside we shall shall treasure for all times to come.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for a fab review Ashok, we really enjoyed your visit and I actually enjoyed increasing my vegetarian culinary repertoire. Hope you and Anjali will manage to return one day.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Wonderful location and such lovely hosts, (including the chickens and ducks). I arrived later than expected and Sue had homemade, hot veggie food made just for me! Beautiful area, quiet night's sleep and a fab breakfast. Very reasonably priced.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I will stay again when I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review - We really appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay at Hope Cottage and giving other travellers, whether on business or holiday, an idea of what to expect when they come to visit us. Maybe you can come back for a more relaxing stay some time?
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at Hope Cottage for a few nights whilst on business in Wallingford recently. I travel round the UK quite a bit and can say without a shadow of a doubt it is the by far the best accommodation experience I've come across in over 20 years.

I use the word 'experience' because to simply describe the exceptionally quality of the rooms, cleanliness, food, peaceful location etc. (not to mention extremely reasonable prices!) simply does not do any justice to the truly warm hospitality and tranquillity on offer here.

I cannot commend this place highly enough - I will go out of my way to try and stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thanks Aiden for such a lovely review - we thoroughly enjoyed your visit , I so appreciated how you were so enthusiastic and complimentary about everything, (also, because you're a fellow Geordie I could get a quick accent refresher course!!)
Hope you have to visit the south again before too long.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Hope cottage as a family. Mum, dad, sister, brother-in-law and my fiancee and I. Sue was a wonderful and warm hostess. Home made food was just to die for (we also had home cooked dinner at the Hope Cottage). I would highly recommend staying in the Shepherd Hut if its available. Creature comforts and modern technology (check out the shower) just add to being able to relax.
If we ever need a weekend away, we are coming back.

Room Tip: The Shepherds Hut is isolated from the main house only a throw away. It has fantastic views, there...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for your lovely review Jay, we really enjoyed having your family to stay and feeling part of the wedding celebrations. I'm so glad you enjoyed the 'hut' and the pre wedding supper.
Iseo, Italy
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I spent a thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing week at Hope Cottage in July while attending a course at the Bach centre. My room was lovely – clean, cosy and with a beautiful view over the fields - and breakfast, with home-made bread, yoghurt and eggs from their own hens, was amazing. Sue and her family have a knack of making you feel at home; I spent many happy hours in their garden, both relaxing and enjoying the peace and having a chat and a laugh with Sue, who could not have been more helpful in recommending places to go and things to do. My stay was an absolute pleasure from start to finish, and I will definitely go back at some point in the future. Thank you very much!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathryn M
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely review Katherine, we did have a laugh didn't we, it seemed very quiet when you left. Looking forward to your return visit, I'll keep the garden chairs warm till then!!
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at Hope Cottage while I was attending a class at the Bach Centre with is really close walking distance.The village is so picturesque and the cottage has such the typical english character.. authentic stay guaranty!

I was in the cosy garden room with beautiful views of the flowery garden. Sue and her family are incredible hosts, they all made me feel at home and take such good care of me! Always wiling to help or make my stay just perfect!

Breakfast are amazing, a bit of everything, fresh fruits, home made yogurt and muesli.. the energy I needed for a productive day to explore the beautiful surroundings..

I had such a lovely time.. I will definitely go back :)
Thanks!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We so appreciate the lovely review Audrey, we really missed you when you left as you had quickly become part of the family (and the village!). Looking forward to your next visit already.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
The Coachmakers Arms
The Coachmakers Arms
#2 of 13 in Wallingford

Been to Hope Cottage Tours? Share your experiences!