“If you need variety”

Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet
Riverside
“If you need variety”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Usually plenty to pick from and you should get plenty stuffed. If you walk out hungry it is your own fault.

Visited December 2013

What Cheer
“Never know what to expect!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The omlet that I ordered was good, the fresh pineapple was delicious, and the bacon was crispy. The pastries were dry and very bland.

Visited February 2014
Freeport, Illinois
“Great Food!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had the Thanksgiving Buffet and also the Friday night seafood buffet. The buffets have something for everybody. They could improve the fried chicken, but maybe that's just me. Turkey was best I have ever eaten, Sea food was very good.

Visited November 2013
Columbia, Missouri
“NOT ROBERT'S, BUT RUTHIE'S (the expensive place)”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Ah, the old days of what we thought a casino was like. People would dress up and care what they looked like.
This was my thought while I was sitting in Ruthie's looking at the line of people waiting to get into the buffet. Really, people? But you know, I don't care. I'm here at Ruthie's, the steakhouse in the Riverside casino (in Iowa, yeah), enjoying an anniversary dinner.
And it was DAMN GOOD. Good enough to rate it as one of the better meals we've had.
We were early for our reservation, but were seated quickly (as there was a line to get into the buffet). Our server, Tanya, was very helpful and attentive. We looked at the menu online, and had a good idea of what was available. But the special - a pan-seared salmon with grilled brussell sprouts and pork belly - was new. So my favorite dinner companion (that would be my wife) went for the special, while I did the prime rib.
The wine list is very good, but it would be nice to have more 'by the glass' selections. What is there is very nice, but just one of a cabernet sauvignon selection that has over fourteen wines? Really? What we chose was very good - a sauvignon blanc and a peppery zinfandel.
Our salad and soup came out quickly. And the plates and silverware deserve special credit - very inventive and funky. The crab bisque came out in a large plate with a bowl in the center, and the silverware was curved to fit a hand.
How was the first course? In a word, excellent. The wife wanted to lick the 'bowl' of the bisque (lots of crab flavor, filling, and HOT), and the lobster salad was very flavorful. Of special not was the temperature of the bisque (excellent!), and the wonderful treatment of the fennel (marinated in Grand Marnier) in the salad.
The entrees came out quickly and were, in a word, excellent. The prime rib was a beautiful cut, almost medium (just pink in the middle) with a very nice crust of garlic, rosemary, and other herbs. The salmon was on a corn puree, with pan-fried sprouts (the ONLY way to have them) with pork belly. We added Yukon gold potatoes and cauliflower risotto - all excellent. The plates are deceiving - there's a lot of food there, so don't expect to finish it.We didn't.
It's pricey, but it's worth it. The only thing I would suggest is a table AWAY from the window, so you can enjoy a quality meal and not have to look at the old ladies in walkers heading for the nickel slots after eating the special at the buffet. :P

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank FroggyHawk
RCGR, Food and Beverage Director at Robert's Buffet, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Riverside Casino and Golf Resort®. We are so happy you and your wife enjoyed your dinner at Ruthie’s Steak and Seafood. The wonderful comments are greatly appreciated and we made sure to share them with Chef Tara, Tanya and the whole staff. We also appreciate your interest in our wine selection and welcome you to engage our sommelier-trained executive Wine Steward David and restaurant manager Taylor.
Once again thank you for your visit and fantastic comments we look forward to serving you again.

Kent Farnsworth
Sigourney, Iowa
“Robert's Buffet at the Riverside Casino, Riverside, IA”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This buffet is very good, has a large selection of foods...Most meats are prepared well but the beef is sometimes tough which disappoints me when we have the best beef available here in Iowa...I prefer to eat here on Sunday Champagne Brunch..When you can have the best of breakfast & lunch served at the same time....Their cinnamon rolls & pecan rolls are the best I have had in along time...Omelots also...

Visited December 2012

Been to Robert's Buffet? Share your experiences!