“review”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Red Oak
Reviewed November 8, 2012

clean hotel with friendly check in will stay again if in town breakfast selection could be better but not bad to just get something and go

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 7, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is a typical Super8. Its not fancy at all. It was clean but old and cheap. Bed was not too bad. Walls were paper thin. The guy in the room next to me snored like he had a duck call lodged in his windpipe. I didn't sleep a wink but that's not exactly the hotel's fault. Its pricey for what it is, but when its the only one in town....

I tried the Stanton Inn (I was working 8 miles away from Red Oak in Stanton, IA). But they were booked full.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2012

First of all, this is a Super 8. You have to judge apples against other apples. It's a discount motel. That said, they advertise:

"When you return from your busy day, relax in our hot tub or swim in our indoor pool."

No you won't. The pool is closed, and apparently has been closed for a long time. It's shameful that this company doesn't change that part of their online advertising. On the other hand, if you happen to belong to a YMCA that participates in the away program, Red Oak has a really nice "Y" that's only a few blocks away, and they have a really nice pool.

Cleanliness: No complaints there. I've stayed in far more expensive places that were not nearly so clean. No problems there.

WiFi: The WiFi worked very well from our room--good signal and lots of bandwidth for four days, but was out on the morning that we left.

Parking: Reasonably good, paved, parking in front and a gravel lot in the back that could use some fill and attention, but still not too bad if you drive around the deeper ruts.

Building Condition: It's an older building, and the floors squeak a bit. We stayed on the top floor, so it wasn't an issue for us, but were mindful that heavy stomping around would probably be heard below us. When we checked in, the parking lot was full of trucks from construction crews, and that was a good thing. Those guys got back from work and went to sleep. They were all very respectful of each other's quiet.

Drains, etc.: No problem with our drains, but a towel rack was sagging. Called the desk right after we got into the room to report that and they sent someone from housekeeping up (no tools) to look at it. Later got a called from some guy who said they'd have to order a new one. I could have fixed it in 2 minutes with a screwdriver. Oh, well, it still held towels.

General appearance: This is NOT a run-down place. It's an older building that has been cheaply glossed up to be presentable. It's a Super 8, folks, and that's what they are about. It's a discount motel, so you have to expect discount quality. I noticed some small things, but overall the place was far better than other reviews had led me to expect.

Continental breakfast: Keep in mind that "continental breakfast" doesn't mean a full buffet with cooked-to-order cuisine. It's a Super 8. Given that, the breakfast was better than expected. Make-your-own waffles were very good, two kinds of juice, a variety of cereals, yogurt, etc. The only drawback was that the staff didn't seem to be interested in watching to be sure that things weren't running out. When they did, and when you located someone to take care of it, they did so cheerfully ... but it wasn't always easy to find someone at the desk.

TV, AC, etc.: AC was off when we arrived and it was a very hot day. It took the AC unit awhile to cool the room, but was adequate to keep the room comfortable after that. The TV worked fine and had a pretty good lineup of local channels and basic cable stuff.

Beds: I won't say that the mattresses were exactly "concrete", but they were pretty firm. When I was young and skinny, I liked that sort of mattress ... but now I'd be more comfortable with something that conformed a bit better to my own shape. Slept fairly well, but woke up sore in the morning. By the end of the fourth day, though, I was getting used to it.

Staff: While they weren't always easy to find, they were very pleasant and helpful. I'm guessing that they are doing the best that they can to make the place as pleasant as possible while working for an owner/owners who don't want to put a penny more into the place than they absolutely have to. It is, after all, a Super 8.

Room Tip: Top floor, back of building (side away from the highway), and end furthest from the office seemed to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Machodoc1
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I think there are only two reasons this hotel is still in business: It is one of two hotels in town, and the lady that manages the front desk (and I think the whole hotel) is the nicest person ever. I love going there and seeing her old dog called "Lady". Aside from that, this building should have been bulldozed years ago. It is clear the owner of this franchised hotel hasn't put a dime in it in a long time. The pool closed years ago as it needed renovations that were too costly. While I agree it doesn't make financial sense, do something else with the space like make a gameroom out of it. The hotel is an old wood-framed building, and when you walk on the upper floor, it feels and sounds like it could collapse at any time. Try sleeping in a first floor room when someone is walking upstairs. The whole place creaks loudly. The ceiling on the first floor sags all over the place, and it's not very reassuring. The rooms themselves are passable. They are clean, which is a start. However, the beds are HORRIBLE. I asked the manager about them, and she said they were relatively new. If you like an ULTRA firm mattress, these are for you. I, however, cannot sleep on a piece of granite. Try the beds the hotels at casinos use, which are like tempur pedic mattresses. Much more comfortable. The A/C unit in my room sounded like someone threw marbles in it. It banged and clanged all night long. The channel lineup for the TV is pretty good. I think there are about 40 channels. Continental breakfast is also pretty good. They just added a waffle maker, which made for a good breakfast (free).

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room if you want any shot at a good nights sleep. Lower floor has creaky noises fro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed 3 nights this past weekend. Since there are only 2 motels in this town this was our choice. Have stayed here the past 4 years. Room clean, continental breakfast good; swimming pool has been out of commission for at least 4 years and when asked about it "the owner has too many other businesses to take care of!" When checking out, staff no where to be found so.... Only reason we stay here is because our daughter lives in Red Oak and we need "our own space" at night. Oh yes, forgot, we had a "big foot stomper" in the room above us - stomp stomp stomp 10 at night, 6 in the morning, etc. etc.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!