“Pleasant Stay”

American Inn and Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peosta
Reviewed July 13, 2010

If staying in Dubuque, consider this hotel! We visit this area 1-2 times per year for a family weekend getaway from Milwaukee, WI. We stayed at nearly every hotel in Dubuque. This hotel is a nice separation, but is just as nice or nicer than these other hotels in Dubuque: Best Western, Holiday Inn, Country Inn, Mainstay Suites, Comfort Inn, Heartland Inn.

This AmericInn is west of Dubuque in Peosta, right off Hwy 20. It's literally 5 minutes from Kennedy Mall and Asbury Plaza. We drove 3 hours from Milwaukee, WI - so what's a five minutes to save over $30 - $50 per night on a hotel? To us, that makes sense.

This hotel has a nice, quaint lobby. Checking in was fast and friendly despite being sold out for the Saturday night we stayed. The indoor pool and hot tub was perfect for us and our two boys. We were the only pool patrons from 8 - 9:00pm. The pool has adult only hours from 10pm-midnight and reopens at 8am. Check-out is at 11am so we were able to even use the pool again the next morning and not feel pressed for time trying to take a quick dip before check-out. Most other hotels pools open at 9-10am just one hour before check-out.

The hotel's breakfast was a very nice welcome addition to our stay. We were delighted by the make your own waffle station and large variety of other continental breakfast options which included everything but cook to order eggs, expresssos (Starbucks type coffees), or pancakes. You could enjoy plenty of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, biscuits & gravy, juices, coffee, donuts, and other pastries and toast. It was restocked often and very clean. Breakfast was available from 6am - 10am.

The corner non-smoking king room we stayed in was clean and larger than your typical room. The TV wasn't flat screen or plasma, but worked just fine with basic cable options. The bathroom was nice and clean and had a shower over a standard tub that worked great. No musty odor or carpet stains. The bed was missing a bed-skirt but the sheets were clean and the bed was comfy. The A/C in the room worked just fine.

Overall, no complaints could be found with this hotel. We will gladly stay here again. The $80/night we paid for for a Saturday night in July in Dubuque was terriffic. Most similar hotels in Dubuque started at $110+. We are kicking ourselves now that we found this AmericInn and wasted so much money on nights at Julien Inn and Holiday Inn Downtown Dubuque that we will likely never stay at those places again. The quality of this AmericInn is just as good for much less.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MKEnative

Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband had business training for 2-1/2 days (over our anniversary) and I was able to travel with him. We were told over the phone that no king size rooms were available for our 3-night stay. When we arrived at the hotel, however, the front desk staff was able to put us in a king size room for the first two nights and then booked a different king size room for the final night of our stay. The room we had was very spacious - which was nice for me since I spent more time in the room than I normally would (on a trip for pleasure). After the second night, we spoke with the front desk again about our room and they were able to allow us to stay in our current room for the final night. I was thankful to avoid checking out at 11 AM and not having another room until 3 PM - it meant much less hassle with luggage, etc.

The hotel had a complimentary breakfast that we enjoyed each morning of our stay. My favorite part of the breakfast was the belgian waffle maker, however, I would have enjoyed some topping choices other than just syrup. We swam in the pool and used the hot tub the first night we arrived. We appreciated the fact that the pool was open until Midnight (10 PM - Midnight was adults only) since we arrived at 9:30 PM after travelling by van for 7 hours. The main negative about the pool area was that it also housed the "game room" (an air hockey table). When anyone played, the noice echoed so much it was no longer enjoyable to sit in the hot tub.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank stampinggal
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is 2nd family reunion in 3 yrs we have used this hotel and very pleased with the choice. Have stayed in standard room and 1 bdrm suite. Both were clean with normal amenities. This is not a high-end hotel; but low to mid-range so keep your expectations along those lines in terms of furnishings; etc. Not knocking it at all; just trying to keep expectations realistic. There is a nice sized indoor pool and hot tub on site. Their complimentary breakfast consists of make-your-own waffles; biscuits and gravy, cereals, assorted breads and doughnuts, fruit and assorted drinks. Very filling unless you're tastes don't run that way.
The rooms are average size, I much prefer the suite as it has a separate living room with double sleeper sofa (your typical kind; ok for kids; not recommended for adults), and nice size bedroom with king bed and fireplace (we didn't use). 2 tv's make it a little more convenient with kids and the mini fridge was your typical dorm size; but fine for just the weekend.
Staff could not have been nicer; saw multiple people and everyone was friendly, helpful; and quick to assist and go the extra mile. Gold stars for their management for keeping such great staff.
Parking is free, large and open so if you have motor home, etc. they can accomodate you. This is not located downtown; but is immediately off the hwy so easy to get to. Full service restaurant (Red Roof) located behind it; but not really recommended. Food was just average; bland at best and prices were too high for the quality. Service was fine; but can do better elsewhere for the food.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank SBTravelerAtlanta_GA
Reviewed December 10, 2006

The hotel is only a few years old. The rooms are adequate, bright, & comfortable. However, the poor customer service I recieved from the front desk staff (Janine) was terrible. Staying there a second time would be questionable.
I checked out on a Sunday, and 2 days later (Tuesday), my business associate told me that he left me an envelope at the front desk. I called the hotel and spoke to Janine. I explained that I recently stayed there (2 days earlier), and I should have an envelope waiting at the front desk. She immediately said that she didn't see anything, (didn't even put me on hold to check...It was an immediate answer). I asked if she was sure, and if it could be in a drawer, or file cabinet. Janine became irate. She started going off, on how it was my responsibility to ask about messages & envelopes, upon check-out. I told her to forget it, and hung up the phone. About a week later, I was in the Dubuque area, and stopped by the hotel. Luckily, Janine wasn't there. I explained to the employee my problem w/the package & Janine. He found the envelope (in about a minute), and was very apologetic about my experience w/Janine.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Favre440
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peosta
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Dubuque
#15 of 17 in Dubuque
Hampton Inn Dubuque
Hampton Inn Dubuque
#1 of 17 in Dubuque

Been to American Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!