“Not up to par”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Pella
Toronto
“Not up to par”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I like Holliday Inn Express. I have stayed in more than a dozen. This is the first one that disappointed me.

The building is not standard. It seems to be a few years old in a golf club area outside of town. It looks like the golf club development went in a few years ago and didnt take off. The hotel driveway is old with cracks and weeds growing through it. Clearly not a new or busy hotel.

The building is wooden and creaky. The rooms are stale. The furniture is not fresh. I had problems getting the AC to hold a constant temperature.

Its not a horrible place. Its just not as fresh as many under this name. Not much choice I suppose out there in the middle of Iowa. I guess I was expecting more so it left me a bit disappointed. It did the job.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pella, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Stuckathome,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and apologize for any inconvenience you may have had due to the condition of the property and amenities you encountered during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Again, we appreciate your honest feedback. Your input will be shared with our management team to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope that the next time you come through, you give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Geneseo, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We just returned from staying four nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Pella, Iowa. The entire staff from front desk to house keeping are very professional, cordial, and accommodating. The rooms are spacious, modern, and very clean. The hot breakfast is fantastic! The pool and hot tub are great. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area!

Room Tip: There is a good restaurant close by, but not on the premises. You may get cheaper rates by booking...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I really don't have a lot to report on this hotel. Everything went smoothly. Hotel was clean, staff was nice, hot tub actually worked (unlike most hotels), the air condition ran constantly, which I enjoy for the white noise and the fruit flavored water and chocolate chip cookies were a big bonus! If I had to pick on something, the eggs on the breakfast were awful. But other than that can't complain at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Red Oak, Iowa
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights, with two adults and four kids. It was great. We had a two room suite so we could spread out a little bit. The breakfast had a good variety, even my picky kids had something to eat! The staff was great, very helpful when we ask for suggestions on places to eat. We were only a couple of miles from Red Rock Lake. I would definitely stay here again. The rooms were clean and quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were suffering from "cabin fever" and decided to do a little road trip to Pella, Iowa. Neither of us had ever been to Pella. Everyone we met was so kind and helpful. We stopped at the windmill information building at the park in the city center. The volunteer was very helpful and shared some of the citys history with us and gave us some suggestions for lunch. We had made reservations at the Holiday Inn Express. The staff at the Holiday Inn made us feel welcomed and were very helpful. The young man that checked us in (Preet) was his name, got us an up grade w/kitchenette. The room was very clean and the king size bed was comfortable. We will definitely stay with them the next time we visit Pella!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockfod, Illinois
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I believe the main attraction of this hotel is it's access to the golf course. Other than that, the best part of the stay was that the rooms were very clean. The staff is is not very friendly, not very easy to work with for an event, and the registration person I talked to on two different occasions, was down right rude. The person we talked with to reserve a room for our family event got the dates mixed up. If we wouldn't have called back to confirm something else, we would have had 100 people arrive and had no room for our celebration. The Reservation person upset me so much that I couldn't continue the conversation because I was so surprised and hurt by his verbal comments. We were supposed to be given a "special rate" since we had reserved a block of rooms. In my initial call to Reservations, I was not given the special rate even though I indicated I was part of the event with the block of rooms. When calling back to confirm that I should receive the special rate, the Reservation person pretty much yelled at me and acted like I was wasting his time by calling. Only reason we stayed here was because of an event we were hosting for family. It was convenient to be on the premises since we could go back and forth from the event room to our rooms for supplies, etc. As any good business understands, customers/clients are what keep you in business. At least be polite and respectful to customers, especially as the Reservation person is the first impression of the hotel. We have lots of family in this area, and will be sure to avoid any further stays at this location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CityGirl A
HappyHotelier82, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pella, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear CityGirlA,

Thank you very much on telling us on how we came up short on your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with your reservation at our hotel. We take our job very seriously, and we don't want to let our customers, who spend their hard earned money on us, down. I've sent you a message via Trip Advisor because I would like to get to the bottom of what happened and fix it. I would appreciate all of your help.

Also thank you for the nice comments on our location and our room cleanliness! I'm very proud of my staff!

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Preet Sekhon
York
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family. It is a bit off the beaten path on a nice golf course. But well worth it! It is close to the lake and only a couple minutes from the downtown area. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pella
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pella
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Pella
Baymont Inn & Suites Pella
Royal Amsterdam Hotel
Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Knoxville, IA
Dutch Mill Inn
Dutch Mill Inn
#7 of 7 in Pella

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pella? Share your experiences!