“Very nice”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Pella
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Very nice”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had a great experience at this Country Inn in Pella. I was in town for a photo shoot and heard that another hotel where I had a reservation (where the client was staying) had some pipes freeze and flood a couple of rooms so I changed my reservations to the Country Inn and I'm glad that I did.

I love that Country Inns have a big, open stairway in the lobby up to the second level, and it fooled me when after asking for a "top floor room" I was given a room on the second floor. Upon arrival I didn't even notice that the hotel had three floors. Sigh.. so, of course, there was some floor-thumping from the room above mine. Luckily, it wasn't bad enough to have to change rooms, but why they didn't give me a top floor room, I'll never know. I would positively make sure next time that there wasn't another room above me in these wood-framed hotels.

Other than that slight hiccup, this hotel worked out great for my trip. The room itself was nice with a little counter area with cabinets and a sink and little refrigerator, along with a nice bed and good bathroom. The bathroom was smaller than I expected and you had to get out of the way to open or close the door if you were in the bathroom, but everything worked great. The tub had a super nice anti-slip coating on it and there were great toiletries. The hair dryer only worked on high (high = LOUD!!!!!!), unfortunately.

The breakfast was great, a $10-15 breakfast at any restaurant. They had "scrambled" eggs (hotel version, powdered eggs, since they can't actually cook without a license) that were good, and my favorite, hard boiled eggs! For a hotel to have both versions of eggs was highly unusual and a very, very nice touch. They had great, real oatmeal (again, super rare and nice!), great actual yogurt (not the little sugar tubs of yogurt) and a fresh strawberry mix to put on the yogurt, and granola, cereals of all kinds, good coffee and great Bigelow tea with another rare and great (for me) thing, actual green tea! Bacon, sausage, waffles, biscuits and gravy, etc. Come to think of it, it was one of the best breakfast selections I've ever seen at a hotel at any price. My room was $105 I think, plus tax, so I figured it was actually around $95 without the breakfast, which was the price of the flood hotel.. Also, I upgraded to a suite-type of room, so it was a great bargain for the big room and that breakfast. They also have a huge, super nice, quiet pool and hot tub area and I never saw one person in it the whole two days that I was there! A nice exercise room was also there for anyone needing to work out.

Probably my favorite part of this great hotel is that they actually had fantastic door-gasketing material around the doors, a threshold seal, and perfectly-adjusted door closers so it was whisper, whisper, whisper (shhhhh) quiet when someone closed their door! This was THEE best hotel I've ever stayed at for whisper quiet door closing, which is my absolute biggest pet peeve at hotels. Country Inn gets an academy award for door-closing performance here!

I highly recommend this hotel and it will be my go-to hotel when I'm in Pella. Nice job, Country Inn, Pella!

Room Tip: I would ask for a top floor room in any wood-framed hotel so you don't have the crashing, bumpin...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had a family reunion in the conference room. There were approximately 50 of us including both adults and children, the man at the desk, did not get his name, was extremely rude to us. He could not understand with that amount of people with children there is going to be a little noise. The facility was wonderful and would love to have it be our regular place for get-to-gathers but will not because of the rude staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pella, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care. Our email is CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com ~Dana
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had a great overnight stay for business recently. Easy check in and JoDee was very helpful when providing me with a toothbrush and toothpaste that I had forgotten. Wonderful breakfast! Would recommend staying here!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dyersburg, Tennessee
Reviewed October 12, 2013

In town for short time for a wedding. Nice accommodations. Kids enjoyed the pool. Great breakfast. Everyone was very friendly. Everything was clean. Only real negative was that when the "clean ice" from the first floor ice machine melted, there was a lot of junk in the water.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2013

A guy named tony working the night shift on Saturday september 28 2013 was so helpful with me....he went above and beyond his duties to help me ...I honestly think this guy needs a raise or something. I will always stay at this hotel when I come to pella only because of tony & how much he helped me. This was my first visit at this hotel and I will advise other ppl to stay there bc of the service.

• Stayed September 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 15, 2013

As a business traveler on and off over the last 40 years I have stayed in my share of hotels. This one gets it. It is a very clean and neatly kept property. The employees are positive and pleasant and wanting to please. One of the best buffet breakfasts I have had on the road. Not only in selections but it is being constantly monitored to be sure all in proper order. Surprise, you eat off of china with real silverware. Plastic plates and utensils are available on request if that would make you feel more like you are on the road.

It was quiet in my room and around the property in general which can be one of the most welcome benefits when traveling. This even though there was a sizeable group of youngsters staying at the hotel.

I am looking forward to my next visit to this area and staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jene C
Lees636, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pella, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Jene C.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an insightful review. We appreciate you sharing your 40 years of experience staying at hotels, and have put us in a class of our own. All the hotel staff does there up most best to keep the hotel property looking good. From the greeting and smiles of the front desk you will receive on arrival to our breakfast attendants in the mornings. We looking forward to your return and hope next time you are in the area to ask our front desk about some of the local attractions like the historic Dutch downtown shops and restaurants. Always feel free to grab one of our fresh baked cookies at out front desk on the house.

Truly,
General Manger: Lee Sponsler And Staff
Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I always stop at Country Inn in Pella when I am traveling to Missouri. I stopped twice on this visit. The first stop on a Friday night cost $120 for a king bed suite. It was great. Five days later, on a Wednesday, the cost of a regular king bed room had been raised $30. So, $150 later, I had a smaller room that cost more on a weekday. The refrigerator in the room produced a loud high pitched whine and the bath tub leaked so much during my bath that the water was all but gone by the time I finished. The host at the counter was rude. I asked for a comment card and was told they had none, and directed me to a web site. I wrote of my visits on the web site, and have never received a response. I'm not sure what happened within that 5 day span, but I will never stay at what was my regular Pella hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pella, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns & Suites standards.

We also apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pella
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Pella
#1 of 5 in Oskaloosa
Dutch Mill Inn
Dutch Mill Inn
#7 of 7 in Pella

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pella? Share your experiences!