“Yummy”
Review of Augusta - CLOSED

Augusta
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We have moved From Oxford Iowa to Iowa City Voted Iowas best Tenderloin sandwhich . Also Chef Ben and Wife Jeri Met and in New Orleans .Displaced from Katrina with roots in Iowa luckily they resided here and the culinary fare is more than welcomed . Chef Ben worked with some of the best in New Orleans and brought his talents here to Iowa Where the ingredients are beautiful and abundant . We are just off of I80 and worth the stop .
Fort Madison, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Augusta restaurant was recommended to us and we are glad we stopped by! We went for lunch and I had a wonderful hamburger and my husband really enjoyed his tenderloin! If we lived closer we go again and try some of their other wonderful sounding food. If you are ever close to Oxford, Iowa, it is worth your while to stop for a meal.

“Hometown Cajun Pleasure”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional food and service. Cajun specialties are out of this world good. Great cuisine to be found in rural Iowa. Best Pork anywhere - very moist, tender, and juicy.

1 Thank jjeadie
Mingo, Iowa
“Mardi Gras Summer Party Flop”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went to Augusta for a midsummer Mardi Gras party boasting of authentic food, prizes, street dance etc. The cost was 30.00 per person and I know I did not get my money worth. First off the fried chicken was flavorless, the rice was hard and not cooked all the way through and was stuck in the pan, the only food that was good was the shrimp boil which was excellent. The prizes were gimme beads from Budweiser instead of gift certificates etc as they should have been. Over all I feel really cheated as it was not at all as advertised.

St Louis, Missour
“Best pork in Iowa. Really.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have eaten at some great restaurants in New Orleans (including one named for pork, Cochon), so I was hoping I'd get just a taste of cajun cooking in Iowa. I was not disappointed.

We showed up on a Saturday night, not having made reservations -- a mistake, since the place was very full. Fortunately, there was a two-top left, so we were seated right away. The server was actually one of the owners, and she gave us a detailed description of some of the great beers on the menu. Tempted as we were by the beer flight, we decided to just sample a Millstream and another locally-made ale, good matches for spicy food on a warm summer night, as it turns out.

Next we started with the frog leg appetizer. The legs were crisp-fried with a batter coating and served with a spicy tomato sauce and rice, a great mix of flavors and textures. I would have preferred a little less salt in the sauce, but was still pretty happy with the dish.

The big stars were our entrees. One of us ordered the catfish, dipped in cornmeal and fried (listen up Iowa: Cornmeal! On fish! Think about it.). It was plump and perfectly cooked. Not a bone in sight, and no hint of overly-fishy flavor. But the real triumph was the pork chop: this was locally-raised duroc pork, and it was without question the best piece of pork I've ever had in Iowa, a state proud of its pork products. This needed no barbecue sauce, though, to be juicy, tender, crisp on the outside with just a dusting of seasoning that made the fatty edges succulent and flavorful. I'd say it was like eating a wedge of bacon, but bacon is often so salty that you don't get that concentrated pork flavor. The closest I can come is the braised pork belly I've eaten at Blackbird in Chicago. But this was better.

And now, I must confess that after eating that dream made of pork, we followed it up with chocolate pecan pie. I don't think anyone has lived a virtuous enough life to deserve that chop followed by that pie, but we ate it anyway. Did I mention that it was drizzled with chocolate sauce?

In short, I recommend that you make reservations and get to Augusta as soon as you possibly can.

One final note: another diner complained that the restaurant lacked a number of seafood items. I recommend that diners first take a look at a map of the United States before dining out, as it may help them understand what ingredients they may expect to be fresh, local, and at peak quality.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank MariaHTheresa
Andalusia, Illinois
“Good food”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Drove 65 miles and it was worth the trip. I had the lamb burger (the special) and it was good. Price was in line and food came in a reasonable time. Friendly staff, quiet place in the middle of Iowa.

• Visited August 2013