“Best pork in Iowa. Really.”
Review of Augusta - CLOSED

Augusta
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We have moved From Oxford Iowa to Iowa City Voted Iowas best Tenderloin sandwhich . Also Chef Ben and Wife Jeri Met and in New Orleans .Displaced from Katrina with roots in Iowa luckily they resided here and the culinary fare is more than welcomed . Chef Ben worked with some of the best in New Orleans and brought his talents here to Iowa Where the ingredients are beautiful and abundant . We are just off of I80 and worth the stop .
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have eaten at some great restaurants in New Orleans (including one named for pork, Cochon), so I was hoping I'd get just a taste of cajun cooking in Iowa. I was not disappointed.

We showed up on a Saturday night, not having made reservations -- a mistake, since the place was very full. Fortunately, there was a two-top left, so we were seated right away. The server was actually one of the owners, and she gave us a detailed description of some of the great beers on the menu. Tempted as we were by the beer flight, we decided to just sample a Millstream and another locally-made ale, good matches for spicy food on a warm summer night, as it turns out.

Next we started with the frog leg appetizer. The legs were crisp-fried with a batter coating and served with a spicy tomato sauce and rice, a great mix of flavors and textures. I would have preferred a little less salt in the sauce, but was still pretty happy with the dish.

The big stars were our entrees. One of us ordered the catfish, dipped in cornmeal and fried (listen up Iowa: Cornmeal! On fish! Think about it.). It was plump and perfectly cooked. Not a bone in sight, and no hint of overly-fishy flavor. But the real triumph was the pork chop: this was locally-raised duroc pork, and it was without question the best piece of pork I've ever had in Iowa, a state proud of its pork products. This needed no barbecue sauce, though, to be juicy, tender, crisp on the outside with just a dusting of seasoning that made the fatty edges succulent and flavorful. I'd say it was like eating a wedge of bacon, but bacon is often so salty that you don't get that concentrated pork flavor. The closest I can come is the braised pork belly I've eaten at Blackbird in Chicago. But this was better.

And now, I must confess that after eating that dream made of pork, we followed it up with chocolate pecan pie. I don't think anyone has lived a virtuous enough life to deserve that chop followed by that pie, but we ate it anyway. Did I mention that it was drizzled with chocolate sauce?

In short, I recommend that you make reservations and get to Augusta as soon as you possibly can.

One final note: another diner complained that the restaurant lacked a number of seafood items. I recommend that diners first take a look at a map of the United States before dining out, as it may help them understand what ingredients they may expect to be fresh, local, and at peak quality.

2  Thank MariaHTheresa

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Drove 65 miles and it was worth the trip. I had the lamb burger (the special) and it was good. Price was in line and food came in a reasonable time. Friendly staff, quiet place in the middle of Iowa.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Heard they have the best tenderloins - we agree. You won't like them, though, if you think the perfect tenderloin is thin. These are thick with a great breading. The burger is very tasty and juicy - ask for extra napkins. The place isn't very big but reservations are accepted. I would recommend making them if you have more than 4 people and want to eat during "prime time". Not an extensive menu but still a nice variety. About a 10 mile drive from Coralville/Iowa City (all depending on where you start from) but it's a nice drive in the country and definitely worth it. We went for a late lunch but next time we'll go for dinner to try their creole food.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have to admit that I was skeptical when my parents wanted to go to a New Orleans style restaurant in a small, rural Iowa town, but I was wrong again. Short daily menu with several different choices, plus a daily dessert menu. Meals were clearly made from scratch by an experienced chef. Good sized portions. My Dad liked the tenderloin + craft beers. The corned beef/poboy sandwiches ordered by others looked pretty good, too. Reasonably priced I thought - I got gumbo, rice/beans, chicken breast and two sides for $16. Overall very good and a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Yep, service took a bit. Yep, no atmosphere. The food and beverage were incredible. Amazing! If you order the pork sandwich, be really, really hungry. The burger I had was the best ever, and I mean EVER. TAKE the jog off the highway, and eat at Augusta's.