“-----!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Ottumwa
A TripAdvisor Member
“-----!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

My fiancé and I reserved our room in May to make sure we would get a NON SMOKING ROOM to stay after our wedding in May. We were given a confirmation sheet stating we were to get the non smoking king Jacuzzi suite for our wedding night.
When we arrived they had given our room away, they offered us the smoking room with NO discount. My husband then pulled out our confirmation sheet stating that we were guaranteed a non smoking room. But the clerk informed us nothing was guaranteed and it was basically first come first serve. We asked what good was a confirmation was and she just shrugged her shoulders.
Unfortunately all the other hotels in the area were also booked, and we were forced to stay in the smoking room. After my mother and my father-in-law called and complained they finally agreed to not charge us for the room, but the damage was already done, just having my wedding dress in the room so I could change quick and put in the car so it didn't stink like smoke, but the 5 minutes was to much, and my dress stunk.
Whenever I stay in Ottumwa I refuse to stay at this hotel, I will always stay at Heartland Inn...

• Stayed August 2001
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Super 8 in Ottumwa, Iowa, New Years Eve, 2004. We had a nice swim in the pool with the kids. So far, so good. In the room, however, a surprise lurked. While my beloved wife was dressing, I noticed a small insect on the back of her shirt. I brushed off the cockroach quickly, mashed it and sent it down the sink. She asked what kind of bug it was. "Just a june bug, honey". Although she is no entomologist, she was skeptical. She is roach-phobic, I am less bothered. I was bothered, however, to see a roach crawl out of the sink. Either it was a fresh face or I was losing my punch.
Later, after midnight, I was drifting off and was startled by a scream from the bathroom. My beloved was taking a refreshing cold shower and found another of Gods small creatures on the curtain. I did the manly thing and dispatched it. A quick search let to more bugs getting KOed.
We had little choice but to stay, with icy roads and New Years party traffic. The manager refused us a full refund, since we spent the night, with all the lights on. He also denied the bugs, although I delivered them to the front desk. Roaches, cold water, no refund.
See ya in the rear view mirror, Super 8.

• Stayed December 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Ottumwa hotels

Marion Iowa USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2004

This place is a little worn around the edges but clean. The continental breakfast is pretty lame.

3 Thank seajayMarionIowaUSA