“Best B&B in Iowa, maybe anywhere!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of McNeill Stone Mansion B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oskaloosa
McNeill Stone Mansion B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Oskaloosa B&B and Inns
Omaha, Nebraska
“Best B&B in Iowa, maybe anywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I kind of fell into this reservation, we were attending a family reunion and this B&B is right down the street from my husband's grandparent's house. It's in a great location in Oskaloosa, off the main street, but close enough to the downtown area and golf. That being said---I am SO glad we ended up staying here. The hosts are very friendly without being the least bit pushy, I think that's a hard thing to do in a B&B, but they totally take their cue from you and I feel like everyone's experience here is probably tailored to how much interaction you want. We are architecture nuts, so the owners were more than happy to tell us about all the work they did to the house (it is AMAZING by the way, I could write 7 paragraphs on how beautiful it is!!!) Since we had a lot of time constraints with the family reunion going on, the host did her best to work around OUR schedule for breakfast, which I thought was very thoughtful and nice of her. And breakfast? It was AMAZING. Served in a beautiful dining room. I couldn't have asked for better food, atmosphere, or dining companions. The room was also amazing, we stayed in the royal red room, the bed was like some kind of cloud with a ornate headboard. I think of anything that disappointed me, other than that we didn't have enough time there. I guess we'll have to go back sometime for another visit!

Room Tip: We were taken on a tour of the house, saw all the rooms-not a bad place in the house!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Stayed one night at the BnB, and really enjoyed our stay. Beautifully decorated historical mansion, and our room was exceptional. Comfortable bed, delicious breakfast, and warm wonderful host and hostess. The perfect place to rest for the night....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

We booked the Royal Red Room and were not disappointed! It was almost like stepping back in time the way that it was decorated; it was absolutely breathtaking! The Walkers were very accommodating, warm and friendly. I would highly recommend the McNeill Stone Mansion Bed & Breakfast to anybody traveling through Oskaloosa or just looking for a night away!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

I booked a stay at the McNeill Stone Mansion in Oskaloosa, Iowa for my company's attorney from Memphis. As he is more acquainted with the finer things, I figured the Comfort Inn would not do as it does for most guests to Oskaloosa, particularly during the Knoxville race season and the fair season.

The McNeill Stone Mansion is situated ideally in the middle of Oskaloosa near other homes of an upscale design. This B&B is perfectly maintained and very New England'ish in its design throughout. By this I mean the linens, bathrooms, sitting areas, library, dining area and sunporch are of the type you would see in small town New England. Very, very quaint. All rooms have their own private baths, and the upstairs has been converted into a suite of rooms for a larger group (like a family of 5.) The stained glass is exquisite, as are all the details of this Italianate/Greco period house.

The hosts/owners of the B&B are very accomodating and serve up a delicious breakfast. Our genteel attorney was more than pleased with his stay. So much so he sent the owners a jar of his homemade blackberry jam, and getting that is like prying a horse from her newborn colt.

At any rate, the McNeill Mansion has a marvelous history about it, which the owners know quite well, and have kept the mansion in excellent condition using the sweat of their brow and, no doubt, a lot of time. Weddings and the like are frequently held here.

I would very highly recommend a stay at the McNeill Stone mansion.

• Liked — Everything; and the hosts were not obtrusive.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make reservations online.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank mimifg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oskaloosa
EverSpring Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Oskaloosa
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Pella
Baymont Inn & Suites Pella
Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Been to McNeill Stone Mansion B&B? Share your experiences!