“Cozy casino in a small town”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Osceola
Des Moines, Iowa
“Cozy casino in a small town”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This casino is not a huge Vegas style casino but it has an old country feel with a friendly, down to earth atmosphere. There are plenty of gaming options that will keep you interested. The slot machines need to be updated more often but are still fun. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and are your buddies when you need them. The buffet is good but the special meals, like the prime rib and crab legs,are fabulous! Lakeside Casino is a great getaway when you just need to go out, socialize, and play! Overall a great place to visit but if you like the slots, bring some real money!

Room Tip: Get a room with a good view of their lake. The ducks are fun to watch and the rooms are very clean,n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DirHotelOps, Director of Hospitality at Lakeside Hotel Casino, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Christina G:

Thank you taking the time to complete your review. It sounds like your visit was overall a good one and there is definately a Midwestern-friendly feel to Lakeside. We are in the midst of transitioning in some new slot games, so you will find some popular new ones when you return. I will pass along your positive F&B remarks to the Culinary and service teams, they always enjoy hearing positive feedback!

We look forward to your next visit. Let us know if there is anything we overlooked to make your stay enjoyable next time!

Regards

Lakeside Hotel Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Knoxville, Iowa
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Love gambling at lakeside. Great atmosphere, various games to play. Always loved the free slot tournaments and the great perks for being a member of the players club. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a great place to play. Food is ok, but is about the same every time we visit. Loved when they would do the special event dinners. Love going for crab legs on Friday night.

Room Tip: Did not stay but love the location
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DirHotelOps, Director of Hospitality at Lakeside Hotel Casino, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Candis R

Thank you kindly for your comments. We appreciate hearing feedback from our guests and players. We believe our gaming floor makes for an entertaining environment and has great variety. Glad to hear you got a chance to participate in one if the Slot Tournaments, they are becoming quite popular. I will be sure to pass along your observations regarding food & beverage to change things up a bit.

We look forward to your next visit.

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I arrived at the hotel around 7 pm on a Saturday night after making reservations the previous day. At the check in counter I was promptly told that I did not have a room, and she could not find any reservation for me and the hotel was completely booked. She looked at me and told me there was nothing she could do. After looking up my name and confirmation number she said, 'oh, it looks like you checked out this morning.' Of course this shocked me since I had only arrived in town that afternoon. I asked to speak to her manager, to which she replied, 'he's down on the gaming floor and can't come up until 8pm, but you can wait if you'd like.' I asked her to check and see if I had been charged for the room the night before, once again she did not have the power to do this and told me I could call back the next day to check. At no time did anyone seem remorseful of this screwup. In fact, the desk clerks chuckled a few times at my situation. No, one even offered to call around to other hotels for me to help me find another place to stay.

Fortunately, the clerk at America's Best Value down the road was very helpful. They are freshly remodeled and I had a wonderful night's sleep. Not only did I save $100 on my room, I also had the pleasure of dealing with competent staff at the same time.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
DirHotelOps, Director of Hospitality at Lakeside Hotel Casino, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
peaboia

Thank you for your feedback. I would like the opportunity to discuss the details of your unpleasant experience, so i can better understand where we failed to meet your expectations. It is hard to defend the allegation that we are overpriced when you didn't have the chance to stay with us and believe that our property is comparable in facilities or value to the America's Best Value property.

Please contact me directly at your convenience.

lejohnson@affinitygaming.com
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband & I celebrated our 10th yr anniversary @ Lakeside casino & they made us feel very important! An anniversary to remember! All the staffs are great! The cleanliness of the place, the great food, services are all wonderful! We never experience such a thing like this before! Thank you all for such a great services!

• Stayed February 2013
Mrstweety_2003

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. We appreciate positive feedback and we're delighted that the property had the chance to contribute to such a special milestone in your lives. I will be sure to share your comments with our appreciative staff.

We look forward to your next visit!

minnesota
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The rooms are gorgeous, with great pillows and beautiful furniture. Our room faced the lake, and they have walk out rooms too. The one thing that I did not like was no coffee maker in the room, but if you walked to the lobby, there was a coffee bar there for the hotel guests. The casino is nice too, and we did have the fortunate exprience of actually being able to play and win occasionally!! I would stay here again. And.... for the record, Phyliss was running the front desk when we were looking for rooms to accomodate our aging parents. She went above and beyond to assist with making certain that they were comfortable. If the management is listening, you should give Phyliss a raise. I have no complaints about this hotel whatsoever.... I WILL be back!!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower level are sliding glass door rooms that walk out onto an enclosed yard that o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DirHotelOps, Director of Hospitality at Lakeside Hotel Casino, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Believer4ever

Thank you for your review and the positive feedback. We are delighted to hear it when the effort we put into improving the property is acknowleged by our guests. Congratulations on winning in the Casino, we love to hear about it! As for Phyllis, we already recognize here as a star employee and appreciate her sense of hospitality. But thank you for pointing out her performance, I will certainly pass it along to her!

We look forward to your next visit!

Clive, Iowa
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We've stayed at lakeside several times before the addition and always liked the large rooms and quiet. This time were we put in the new area. The rooms are much smaller but everything was there. Just not exciting. There was also much more hallway traffic this time and the acoustic dampening from overhead rooms was lacking. Even with the pool traffic I was still surprised at the number of children at a hotel attached to a casino.

In the end, it lets you stay the night rather than travel home after midnight. It was OK and the price was right. But the room is not the attraction.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper floors in the old section. The rooms are larger and there is no foot traffic from...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dennis J
Dennis J

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. It appears as though you have been a guest here in the past and that this visit was just ok. There is certainly a difference in size between the new Deluxe rooms and the Executive rooms that were a part of the original 60 room complex. With the 90 new rooms we have seen our occupancy for overnight rooms increase and as you can imagine the limited number of Executive rooms are in greatest demand. Depending on the day of the week, we ourselves see an increase in families staying with us and children become a part of the mix alright.

I was pleased to hear that "It was OK and the price was right" and we hope to see you again at a future date.

WI
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a nice stay at Lakeside, I'm constantly looking for NICE places to stay that will allow me to have my little chihuahuas. We chose this as a stopover on our way down south, we wanted a place with a bar to watch the superbowl. We had a King suite, very large comfortable room, but the walls are quite thin. When the neighbors dog barked ours would too, we could hear their voices and snoring as well, not a big deal to us but maybe to some! The bed was heavenly!
We went to the bar to watch the game but the service was so very slow my husband got annoyed and we went back to the room to watch. Really miss not having a fridge in the room, since I am vegan and also carry fresh food for my dogs as well it was a pain to keep stuff in a cooler. Overall a good stay and would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DirHotelOps, Director of Hospitality at Lakeside Hotel Casino, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
WiAng

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. We always welcome feedback to use to continue to improve our operations. We welcome our guests travelling with their pets and I'm pleased you had the chance to visit us Superbowl Sunday. I am disappointed to learn that you experienced slower service than you would have expected and I will certainly advise our staff of your concern. Our Executive rooms are equipped with refrigerators currently, and we plan to add them to the new Deluxe rooms we opened this past year over the next few months. Hopefully if you return you will find our rooms will more closely meet your needs. We look forward to your next visit.

Lakeside Hotel Casino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Osceola
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Osceola
Little River Inn Motel & Guest House
No photo provided
Blue Haven Motel
#6 of 7 in Osceola

Been to Lakeside Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!