“Cost exceeded the accomodations and poor service in the restaurant”
Review of Inn at Okoboji

Inn at Okoboji
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I revisited the Inn after an absence of several years. We met in Okoboji and were celebrating our 30th anniversary. A two-night stay was over $300 which was a bit pricey for the accomodations. We had just entered the room and the smoke alarm went off. They were quick to send someone to fix it. There was a humidifer in our room that roared all night and the fan in the bathroom was extremely loud also. Upon check-in we were given a coupon for $20.00 off of a $40.00 purchase in the restaurant. We went into the dining room where there were two tables of people. We opted to eat in the lounge side of the restaurant where there was also only one table occupied. We waited quite awhile before anyone came over to our table as the help was standing behind the bar chatting. They brought us our drinks and again we waited for someone to come and take our food order. When our food came it was minus the bread and I requested sour cream for my potato. Some time later, I flagged down another waitperson and he brought us our bread and sour cream. After we finished our meal, no one brought us our check, so my husband went up to the bar and paid our bill. The food was good, so the following evening we returned to the restaurant for a light supper. When we walked in there were several dirty tables. We found a clean table, sat down and waited...and waited... and waited. My husband finally went up to the bar and asked if we had to come up there to order our food and beverages. The girl said she'd be right with us. In the mean time another group came in and sat at the remaining clean table. Shortly after, two couples came in, went to the bar and ordered drinks and sat down at their only choice--one of the dirty tables. Still no one came to clean the table, so one of the fellows started picking it up himself. Another group came to the door, looked in and didn't see any clean tables and left. About 45 minutes later we got our food-a burger for my husband and a salad and appetizer for me. Again, no one brought us our bill so my husband went up to the bar to pay. We were quite shocked to be handed a bill for over $80.00. We questioned our waitress and she giggled and said, "Oh sorry, that was someone else's bill." It had 2 kids meals on it in addition to adult meals. Since no one with children was in the there when we were there, it made us wonder if someone got a free meal. Again the food was good, but definitely not worth the hassle. We had also eaten at Tweeter's in Okoboji. We had our food in less than 10 minutes and it was delicious. Would definitely recommend them.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dissatisfied47

Reviewed August 6, 2009

The Inn met and exceeded our expectations for a 4 day, 3 night family getaway on Okoboji. We booked a Family package that included many extras (attraction passes, discounts, etc).

Location: Excellent. Only 5 minute drive from either Arnold's Park or Spirit Lake business district, right on the water. There is a walking path that leads along the shore to the south/east for some distance.

Room: Very clean, very little sign of wear and tear on carpet, wall coverings. Smaller, 1950's dimensioned room. We had a lakefront room with double (?queen) in one room, and two smaller bunk beds in back. Layout on website is accurate. Now, the caveats: the a/c worked, but it's LOUD, as is the dehumidifier. You do need to keep them running, however, as the flat black tar rook will collect quite a bit of solar energy (the design allows the rooms above/behind to have a view of the lake). The bathroom really could benefit from an exaust fan.

Pool (Outdoor): Great! Busy but congenial.

Restaurant: Varied menu, we ate there all three nights, quality of food was great as was service. The fried walleye was superb. Ample portions.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank zman319
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I traveled to Okoboji for three days in July to meet friends for a reunion. We had spent a week at Okoboji following our high school graduation 45 years ago. At that time The Inn was the premiere resort on Okoboji. I was surprised to find that the rooms had not changed over this long period of time and other than having newer furnishings and a fresh coat of paint they looked much as they had in 1964. The hotel lobby and restaurant had been updated and there was a newer addition of rooms that I did not see. While being somewhat disappointed initially, I soon learned that it was probably as "good as it gets" for an Okoboji resort located directly on the lake. The pool and grounds were well maintained with fresh paint, nice flower gardens, and a dock with a sitting area. The food in the restaurants was like the resort- mediocre. Overall, I found the rooms to be similar to a Super 8 motel. I expected more for $200 per night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Parktraveler46
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at the Inn the second week of June, Found the bed hard, the room was damp, the dehumidifier ran all night and you had to listen to it and the faucet in the bedroom dripped, Ate breakfast at the Inn once,service was slow, and flys every where. The clorine odor in the indoor pool area, burned the eyes. We had reserved a king room for a week, but left after two nights. We assured by front desk that we would not be charged for the nights not used and left with a charge for only the two nights, but found they charge us for the nights not use when we got our credit card statement. Can not recommend this place, The Inn is stuck in the seventies, and the staff does not care.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank business-traveler-Mn
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I stayed at the Inn three nights (Sept 4th - 7th) for a wedding. The staff was absolutely wonderful. We hadn't realized that the restaurant/pub was closed between 2-4 until we went to have a late lunch one of the days. Well, the front desk made a call and there was a staff member there within 10 minutes (without us asking) to open it up for us! And she was so nice, I should have written her name down! The other reviews are a little harsh, where do you think you were staying??? It's an older lakeside resort in IOWA!!! Not the Waldorf in NYC! And the rooms are right next to a big lake, so there may be bugs (although I didn't see any!!) The guys in our group enjoyed the fishing and we were going to rent a boat one day but it ended up raining. Overall, it was a nice relaxing weekend!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Very outdated Hotel. I'm glad that someone gave me a gift certificate for my room. I would never pay the price.
Pool was falling apart and there where pieces of cement on the bottom that I kept stepping on.
Found room pass key laying on the floor of my room. When I took it back to the front desk. They didn't seem to care that someone had lost it and left it behind. De-humidifier was loud and stopped working after the first night. If you needed ice for your cooler. You where forced to by it from the front desk.
Had to keep going to the front desk to get coffee. Coffee was never replaced after the first day.
The one upside is that the food and the service in the restaurant was very good.
Stay somewhere else and visit for the food.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Huskerboy100
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My stay at The Inn was not nice at all. The room was $150 a night and that was with a wedding discount. The bed was hard and the bathroom smelled like urine. You could see daylight coming in around the window air conditioner (probably why there were spiders crawling up and down the walls) The worst part of the stay came when we got back to our hotel room that night and the air conditioner unit had ice cubes accumulating on it, dropping down into the unit and rattling like crazy. After calling the front desk they sent security/maintenance to check it out. He was clueless but the rattling did subside briefly, about an hour, then back to rattling all night. It was far too humid of a night to turn it off. After complaining about it to the young man at the front desk, he did not seem to care at all that I was upset about losing sleep. Very old, outdated hotel. Reminds me of Kellerman's from Dirty Dancing and has not been updated in at least 20 years. The view of the lake was average, nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ajaffe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
Northland Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!