“Relaxing Inn the Okoboji style of yesteryear...”
Review of Inn at Okoboji

Inn at Okoboji
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
zman319
“Relaxing Inn the Okoboji style of yesteryear...”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The Inn met and exceeded our expectations for a 4 day, 3 night family getaway on Okoboji. We booked a Family package that included many extras (attraction passes, discounts, etc).

Location: Excellent. Only 5 minute drive from either Arnold's Park or Spirit Lake business district, right on the water. There is a walking path that leads along the shore to the south/east for some distance.

Room: Very clean, very little sign of wear and tear on carpet, wall coverings. Smaller, 1950's dimensioned room. We had a lakefront room with double (?queen) in one room, and two smaller bunk beds in back. Layout on website is accurate. Now, the caveats: the a/c worked, but it's LOUD, as is the dehumidifier. You do need to keep them running, however, as the flat black tar rook will collect quite a bit of solar energy (the design allows the rooms above/behind to have a view of the lake). The bathroom really could benefit from an exaust fan.

Pool (Outdoor): Great! Busy but congenial.

Restaurant: Varied menu, we ate there all three nights, quality of food was great as was service. The fried walleye was superb. Ample portions.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank zman319

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I traveled to Okoboji for three days in July to meet friends for a reunion. We had spent a week at Okoboji following our high school graduation 45 years ago. At that time The Inn was the premiere resort on Okoboji. I was surprised to find that the rooms had not changed over this long period of time and other than having newer furnishings and a fresh coat of paint they looked much as they had in 1964. The hotel lobby and restaurant had been updated and there was a newer addition of rooms that I did not see. While being somewhat disappointed initially, I soon learned that it was probably as "good as it gets" for an Okoboji resort located directly on the lake. The pool and grounds were well maintained with fresh paint, nice flower gardens, and a dock with a sitting area. The food in the restaurants was like the resort- mediocre. Overall, I found the rooms to be similar to a Super 8 motel. I expected more for $200 per night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Parktraveler46
Minneapolis,Mn
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at the Inn the second week of June, Found the bed hard, the room was damp, the dehumidifier ran all night and you had to listen to it and the faucet in the bedroom dripped, Ate breakfast at the Inn once,service was slow, and flys every where. The clorine odor in the indoor pool area, burned the eyes. We had reserved a king room for a week, but left after two nights. We assured by front desk that we would not be charged for the nights not used and left with a charge for only the two nights, but found they charge us for the nights not use when we got our credit card statement. Can not recommend this place, The Inn is stuck in the seventies, and the staff does not care.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank business-traveler-Mn

Travelers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

Chicago
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I stayed at the Inn three nights (Sept 4th - 7th) for a wedding. The staff was absolutely wonderful. We hadn't realized that the restaurant/pub was closed between 2-4 until we went to have a late lunch one of the days. Well, the front desk made a call and there was a staff member there within 10 minutes (without us asking) to open it up for us! And she was so nice, I should have written her name down! The other reviews are a little harsh, where do you think you were staying??? It's an older lakeside resort in IOWA!!! Not the Waldorf in NYC! And the rooms are right next to a big lake, so there may be bugs (although I didn't see any!!) The guys in our group enjoyed the fishing and we were going to rent a boat one day but it ended up raining. Overall, it was a nice relaxing weekend!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Iowa
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Very outdated Hotel. I'm glad that someone gave me a gift certificate for my room. I would never pay the price.
Pool was falling apart and there where pieces of cement on the bottom that I kept stepping on.
Found room pass key laying on the floor of my room. When I took it back to the front desk. They didn't seem to care that someone had lost it and left it behind. De-humidifier was loud and stopped working after the first night. If you needed ice for your cooler. You where forced to by it from the front desk.
Had to keep going to the front desk to get coffee. Coffee was never replaced after the first day.
The one upside is that the food and the service in the restaurant was very good.
Stay somewhere else and visit for the food.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Huskerboy100
Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My stay at The Inn was not nice at all. The room was $150 a night and that was with a wedding discount. The bed was hard and the bathroom smelled like urine. You could see daylight coming in around the window air conditioner (probably why there were spiders crawling up and down the walls) The worst part of the stay came when we got back to our hotel room that night and the air conditioner unit had ice cubes accumulating on it, dropping down into the unit and rattling like crazy. After calling the front desk they sent security/maintenance to check it out. He was clueless but the rattling did subside briefly, about an hour, then back to rattling all night. It was far too humid of a night to turn it off. After complaining about it to the young man at the front desk, he did not seem to care at all that I was upset about losing sleep. Very old, outdated hotel. Reminds me of Kellerman's from Dirty Dancing and has not been updated in at least 20 years. The view of the lake was average, nothing spectacular.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ajaffe
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. When we arrived, late on Friday night, there were spiders crawling on the floor. When I pulled back the bed sheets a spider the size of a half dollar was underneath. There were countless dead bugs throughout the room. The dehumidifier had stopped running because it was full. I have never stayed in a room that was so unclean and full of bugs - we should have just camped. The hotel switched our room for the next night, but did not have any rooms with king beds. We were not offered a refund of any sort and barely got an apology. You could not pay me to stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Spiders in room, room not clean, staff not helpful.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SBATrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji
Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!